footwork: most efficient moving from right rear to left rear corners?

Discussion in 'Techniques / Training' started by monto, Jun 29, 2004.

1. monto

monto Regular Member

When playing doubles, with front-back rotation, what's the most efficient footwork to get from the forehand (right) to backhand (left) rear corners (let's say against quick offensive clears/lifted smash returns)? I'm presently just using side-steps (several R-L shuffles) with my back somewhat turned to the net , and am getting to the shot with enough time to do an around-the-head if not straight forehand overhead shot.

However, it feels quite awkward, just complete lateral movement with the back and neck turned sideways or backwards to the net, so I'm curious if there is a more efficient (or more correct :eek:) routine to go directly from forehand to backhand rear corners? Should one try leading with the left foot, in a L-R shuffle? (this would be hard to get used to, after years of right foot leading in front)

2. huijun

huijun Regular Member

engineer
    Very nice question! I am curious about the answer. I practice this movement in the rear court for double game with my coach. My coach ask me to return to the central everytime and I find I can't do it very efficient. Would someone give me a comment........ :)

3. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    i guess it depends on the situation.

i was once taught this footwork movement:

body mostly facing forward with only slight rotation when hitting the shuttle. when moving from side to side, legs forms a line parallel to the net, then do big two legged jumps. it actually only take 3 jump to go from one end to the other, the 3rd jump being the jumping smash jump. also remember, you only get to around 2ft from sideline so the effective distance isn't that big.

so the sequence goes, jumpsmash, jump, jump, jumpsmash, jump, jump, jumpsmash, etc.

the key is that the body doesn't rotate too much and do big sideways jumps.

when asked why not rotate the body, the answer was simply, "there is not enough time to." which can be the case on a fast doubles games and the back player is scrambling to get to the birdie and especially with the desire to get to the birdie at its highest point to not lose the advantage...

4. Pete LSD

Pete LSD Regular Member

Soul Searching
    For reference just watch the 2001 All England men's double final. Pay particular attention to Tony G.'s rear court footwork.

5. monto

monto Regular Member

hmm, does that mean these jumps/lunges abandon cross-crossing sidesteps? I'll try to look around for some pictures or Pete's suggest video, but I can't quite picture this technique, as I keep thinking of jumps as vertical, not lateral movements

6. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    you need to ask yourself what situation you are at.

not always do we have the luxury (in terms of time) of moving to a location, stop, and then jump vertical to hit a shot.