Painful hit from follow through

Discussion in 'General Forum' started by BethuneGuy, Jun 30, 2004.

1. BethuneGuy

BethuneGuy Regular Member

Student
    Today was a very painful day. The follow throw of my jump smash hit me where it hurts the most. Of course though, must hide the pain on court and avoid the embarrassment. Anybody ever hit themselves like that? Or is it just me

2. cappy75

cappy75 Regular Member

Depot Support Representative
    Yikes! Hope it wasn't too serious:eek:. I think it happened because you didn't make a complete (slightly more than 90 degree) torso rotation so that the swing naturally go from one side of your body to the other. It's better that you try to make every shot preparation look similar for deception, that means making complete torso rotation every time you do an overhead shot.

3. Pecheur

Pecheur Regular Member

I've done it a couple of times (really shouldn't play that shot anymore ;P) but it usually happens if I'm out of position and pop the arm up doing an overhead stroke with just elbow and wrist.

4. Nanashi

Nanashi Regular Member

Student
    it's happened to me a few times when slicing it..... i dunno how i do it... all i know is that it hurts an unbelieveable amount and a long "water break" is needed

5. Im White

Im White New Member

Yep...happened to me a few times...but i just cant hold it in when it hurts too much. Ones that dont hurt as much, sure i can hide...but for smashes, or worse, jump smashes..yea cant hide :S ppl see that u hit urself there...so hard to hide. lol:eek:

6. cappy75

cappy75 Regular Member

Depot Support Representative
    Hmm... drops, drives and half-smash are the shots to use if you're gonna hit the shot w/o full torso rotation as sometimes there's just not enough time to do the full wind-up. Finesse shots don't require much power, so it won't hurt that badly even if you do make contact with your tender parts.

After contact with shuttle, the follow-through should be relaxed. Perhaps you're too tensed in the game? Other than fatigue or improper form, I can't see how that could happen with such frequency:(.