Things to Remeber when playin Baddy (so true)

Discussion in 'General Forum' started by Xo_BaddyGrl_oX, Jun 30, 2004.

1. Xo_BaddyGrl_oX

Xo_BaddyGrl_oX Regular Member

grade 11 student in Sudbury!
    [font=Geneva, Arial, Sans-serif]*Things to remember when you are playing badminton*[/font]

[font=Geneva, Arial, Sans-serif]If you are playing doubles, you must smash them before they smash you.<---i just smash every chance i get

Do not let the shuttlecock control you; you must control it.<---i need to learn that

Your opponents can't score unless you let them score.<---True to dat

When you swing with your back hand, use your arm in a whipping motion.<---never really tried that, but kool!

When you are up 11 points and your opponent has 6 points, do not let them score another point. Why you ask? In a psychological sense the score 7-11 represents a convenient store which sells refreshments. When your opponent gets that score they will recharge or reengerize just by thinking of that score. This sounds silly but, hey, it works for me every time. <---very interesting...i'll keep that in mind

The good badminton players go to McDonalds before every home and away game.<---that is SOOOOOO TRUE (cept for the home games, parents make you eat healthy food)

The secret to singles are the four corners.<---That's true ( I need to learn how to control the bird first)

Study physics before you play badminton<---I'm not in the grade that study physics...so hmmm!

-Above tips are given by some guy off the street.

"In singles, try to stall as much as possible. It pisses the other opponent off. Just keep getting as much water as possible so that person gets mad and can't concentrate."
    - Above tip given by Brian Nguyen<--aww i would never do that, then the person would yell at me and ya, i want to make friends not piss them off at tourny...PRACTICES that's another story haha (none of us get along)

Badminton is...
    [/font]
    1. [font=Geneva, Arial, Sans-serif]80% Looks (As in style and technique)
      10% Racket and
      10% Strength.
      [/font]
    [font=Geneva, Arial, Sans-serif]It doesn't matter whether you win or lose, it's how you look playing the game. <---that's so true!

In a critical point situation, it is necessary to react quickly to a bird (shuttlecock to be politically correct) that is going out of the court. What to do when your partner is about to hit the shuttlecock that you know for sure is out? You tell him/her it is out. What if he/she keeps on going for it? In order to win or save the game, you must drop-kick your partner (preferably in the head) before he/she hits the bird.
    -Anonymous<---i'm probably the one would get kicked in the head haha
    [/font][font=Geneva, Arial, Sans-serif]

"When you get mad while you are playing, throw your racket at the opponent and said, "oops sorry, slippery." :)"
    - Above tip given by Hung La<--NO WAY! not with my precious raquet!

This tip is directed mainly towards those who are on Independence High School's Badminton Team under the direction of Coach Rutherford. However it may be applicable to those who are also on a badminton team at a different high school.

"During the team conditioning, if told to run for say, 15 minutes, make sure to tie your shoelaces as loose as possible prior to the conditioning. Therefore, when you begin running after only a few steps you laces should untie, thus forcing you to sit down and tie them, for about 10 minutes, for safety reasons. This should help your game later on in practice because unlike your other colleagues, you would have only had to run for 5 minutes. This practicing of tying shoe laces saves energy, wastes time, and is a great opportunity to watch your friends suffer."

-Above tip given by Mabel Lam<---haha GREAT IDEA!

"When playing a game, try to dress as a b-baller so your opponent thinks that you are a scrub that can only play b-ball, yup deception is the key! Get a pair of nike's, b-ball shorts and a b-ball jersey don't wear anything associated with yonex or any badminton crap...yup so they misjudge you and stuff"
    -Above tip given by Brian Nguyen<---I know someone who does that! he doesn't play on his team b-ball team tho, but he seems like a good b-baller!

"When coach makes us run, jog really slowly when you are to the back of her and when you are near her/him run real fast, so you can suck up to her/him."
    -Above tip given by David Ly<--I do that in gym class!

"If a bird hits you pretend it hurts and collapse so you could waste at least 5 minutes"<---i got hit in the eye once...but i was QUICK to recover!

"when you go at tournaments...always wear bright clothing so people there could remember you"<---HAHA YES I DO THAT! i wear like REALLY COLOURFUL knee high socks! people call me skittles! then now i'm known as "queen of the shuttlecocks" haha

"bring the equipment of a professional (i.e. Big ass yonex bag, 5 rackets, water bottle, 12 feather shuttles, stringing kit, warm up pants/jacket, yonex shoes) so that way you can scare your opponent"<---i don't have that much stuff! just a really nice raquet, and a baddy bag that i won!

"get an odd color grip and strings for your racquet so you can make your opponent lose focus (hey, I had a fluorescent green with dark blue and light blue strings on black and red racquet)"
    -Above tips given by Virgil De Guzman<---I got purple string and purple grip!...I LOVE GRIPS..i wanted to get as many colored grips as i can!

"When your playing a game of badminton ... and your losing do a jump smash and fall on the floor holding you calf muscle and start screaming and crying..."
    -Above tip given by Oliver<---I can't jump smash at all, so that won't work for me, but i can pretend to trip and fall and stuff

"Rush your game when your opponent(s) starts to get upset. In this case, they will make more mistakes and get more upset. But REMEMBER: you have to keep calm (or look calm) even though you are VERY UPSET with your games."<--- I'm usually the one who is upset! so that just works against me!!

"Make sure you have a pair of sandals; all badminton players should have a pair. (it's just convenient!)"<---I HAVE sandals, a lot of them!

"DO NOT buy an expensive racket if you are a beginner ("D" or "C-" level players) because other beginners may hit your beloved racket. When playing net shots, you have to believe in yourself."<--- this guy on my team started yelling at me cuz i'm not good enough to buy a friggin ti-7 light and that its too good for me! but i ended up winning cities and got 3rd at NOSSA. i got it like after 3 or 4 months of training and i was tired of borrowin the crappy one from the coach..and plus it was cheaper in Hong Kong

"Always apologize after you hit your opponent even if you are happy about that."<--that happens a lot when i play up front

"Always pick up the birdie from the floor and hand it to your opponent. (DO NOT kick it please!)"
    [/font]
    [font=Geneva, Arial, Sans-serif]- Above tips given by Gigi Pang<---I kick the bird sometimes to them, thats when i was lazy and didn't know how to scoop the birdy up, i just kick it when it's they're close to the net to pick it up

"Take the time to wipe the dust of the bottom of your shoes to stall and take a break."
    - Steven Beckwith<--I don't even bother with the dust on my shoes, i just get the game over with
    [/font]
    [font=Geneva, Arial, Sans-serif][/font]
    [font=Geneva, Arial, Sans-serif][/font]
    [font=Geneva, Arial, Sans-serif]"When you look at another badminton player, the shorter his/her shorts are means the better he/she is. If they wear sweat pants that means they suck like hell. Watch out for guys in speedos."
    - Some anonymous Guy from San Jose<--EWW that's just plain nasty, especially when you have an assitant coach wearing short shorts! haha

"Juvi's are short for Juvenile Hall, but from now on JV badminton players will be call Juvi's."
    - Some anonymous Guy from San Jose<---I don't understand this part

"OK here's a tip : Don't fool around, When i was playing JV singles, i had the guy 16-6... and i started inventing new shots, and he adapted so quickly, and started scoring... he scored so much that my emotions got in the way and then i gave up more points to him, but at the end i regain control over the game after a SPLIT! I was luckily victorious after learning don't try your new moves in a game. That's why there are practices ;)... Oh ya, i played the guy before and killed him 21-3, so you can tell there is a difference ;)"
    -Wes

For Tennis and Badminton "Hit the ball(shuttle) over the net and into court one more time than the other guy"
    -Joe S.<--NO KIDDIN'!

"drop on tall people and clear on shorties"
    -Salman Shams<--yupperz, i try to do that!

"Look him/her eyes deeply at the first game serve to your opponent(s). It' s mean you can hit them faster.Not wrong to try."
    -Bonie Sukawarna<---RIGGGGHTTT....
    [/font]
    [font=Geneva, Arial, Sans-serif]

"When playing mixed doubles, flirt with the female member of the other team. Have your partner flirt with the guy if possible. Concentration will be lost and victory will be achieved. Also, if you win, there's no hard feelings and HEY, you might even get a date!"
    -Huy Tran<--haha that's cute! i shall get my mix partner to do that as well!

"When playing doubles, during warm ups you and your partner should smash the **** out of the bird at each other and start arguing. It will scare the crap out of your opponent."
    -Mike G.<---yes to the smashin part, but all the fighting and crap happens during the game! some girl told us to shut up once...!

"Always remember to play like you love the game."
    - Coach Rutherford
    [/font]

2. cooler

cooler Regular Member

Surfing, reading fan mails:D, Dilithium Crystal hu
    LOL, this should belongs to the techniques forum.
    When conventional ways fail, it doesnt hurt to employ some of those suggestions :)

3. badnetic

badnetic Regular Member

dont mean to insult u but.. its kinda useless unless ur trying to make us laugh cause its stupid (stupid things make people laugh)

4. Gollum

Gollum Regular Member

No no no no! ;)

Never use a whip action to hit backhands. Your shoulders are not designed to do that. Powerful backhands are hit using a tap action.

5. tir168

tir168 Regular Member

Uni Student
    lolz @ the tips given...should be considered at times.. :D
    and i think some does sound logical.

6. jimbouk

jimbouk Regular Member

Trader in Japan & USA
    One quick tip - that was given to me when i was still learning but and i still see people making this mistake:

In doubles do not watch the shuttle when it is on your side of the court if you are not receiving it - watch your opponents and make sure you are positioned correctly. Trust in your partner to play a decent attacking shot that will keep your opponents on the back foot. If you watch the shuttle you will invariably find yourself out of position and with neckache!!!

J:)

7. Gollum

Gollum Regular Member

You also risk being hit in the face by your partner, who is smashing from behind you.

8. Dill

Dill Regular Member

Lazy git (my coach can verify this)
    It's best not to post on backhands - it will make Gollum pounce ;)

Whipping motion is an old way of doing a backhand which is more energy extensive and takes far too much effort anyway but it does look good, I can't even do it now :(

9. gerry

gerry Regular Member

The arm action is a whip action as you use the 3 joints like a whip but the contact with the shuttle is a tapping action as there is no real follow through.
    I've always had a problem when people described the BH as a whip shot but in reality it is as far as the movement of the arm is concerned.

A tap action is a way of hitting the shuttle on contact not a way of describing body/shot execution.

10. Xo_BaddyGrl_oX

Xo_BaddyGrl_oX Regular Member

grade 11 student in Sudbury!
    i know it's useless, but it's also funny, i just post this cuz my friend showed me it and i thought it was kinda cute, so i post this on the bf...unless you have a problem with that...?

11. badnetic

badnetic Regular Member

i apologise for my insolence to ur post then.. sorry

12. FEND.

FEND. Regular Member

Full Time Badmintoncentral.com/forums camper. Part
    This article is 100% pro or as koreans call it, gosu. Nice one, sure to put a smile on any baddy fanatic's face when the chips are down.

~Cheers

13. odjn

odjn Regular Member

Student
    I use pink alpha grip.... Somehow that attracts a lot of females towards me :confused:

14. cooler

cooler Regular Member

Surfing, reading fan mails:D, Dilithium Crystal hu
    how do you find guys to play MD with you :confused: :p

15. odjn

odjn Regular Member

Student
    I put my Pink grip on my superb, Hard hitting, unfeminine, ALL power monster killing MP 77 :cool: