hair style of MS players - badminton related trait?

Discussion in 'Professional Players' started by cooler, Jul 1, 2004.

1. cooler

cooler Regular Member

Surfing, reading fan mails:D, Dilithium Crystal hu
    It came to me that latest crop of top MS players have similar natural hair style: spikey to puff daddy, like they all have used fabric softener as hair shampoo conditioner. Picture shown are from different MS players, there could be more of them out there.

Attached Files:

#1 cooler, Jul 1, 2004
    Last edited: Jul 1, 2004
  2. Wizbit

Wizbit Regular Member

Testing ladie's lingerie
    I think you'll find that their hair have been cut in such a way, that gives them a fluffy and lighter texture, so it is not as natural as you may think. I think the technical term is feathered. So far no one has knitted feathers into my head yet, when I ask for it ;)

By the way I guess the players are Cai Yun, Xia Xuan Ze, Lin Dan, Bao Chun Lai and Peter Gade :p

#2 Wizbit, Jul 1, 2004
    Last edited: Jul 1, 2004
  3. cooler

cooler Regular Member

close, the first one is chen hong. I got the pics from the BF photoalbum

4. Wizbit

Wizbit Regular Member

Testing ladie's lingerie
    The first one was a bit trickier ;) Chen Hong usually wears a short sides and flat top hair style :)

We could start a guess the players from legs or hairstyle quiz :)

5. odjn

odjn Regular Member

Student
    WOW! now I wanna have hair like this now :rolleyes:

6. Joseph

Joseph Regular Member

My hair is normally puffy...too bad i dont also have the same skills as them.

7. tir168

tir168 Regular Member

Uni Student
    it's the HAIR..!!

the secrets of badminton is out....it's the hair..!!!! :D

aerodynamics maybe or just plain simple style/personal liking?? :confused:

8. ants

ants Regular Member

Entrepreneur , Modern Nomad
    you willl feel lighter and more comfortable with those hairstyle.

9. cooler

cooler Regular Member

I think there is a genetic advantage - better heat loss. Wavy hairs tend to trap more body heat then spikey hairs. Heat, lactic acid and CO2 are waste byproducts of metabolism. Spikey hairs enhance thermal radiation and convectional heat loss (air drag) from the head. Of course a bald head would create better heat loss but in most cultures, having hair is also an desirable trait so spikey hair is a balance of having a set of hair with good heat loss.

10. mirrura

mirrura Regular Member

part time dreamer
    Hhhmm....What about players who ocassionaly change their hairstyle?? I have yet to see a player like that...well maybe for Misbun Sidek as I've been informed by my friend. There was once when he had this Mohican (not sure bout the spelling) hairstyle and then some other hairstyle as well.

11. tir168

tir168 Regular Member

Uni Student
    cooler...
    your logic does sound kinda true. =)

or maybe with all the hairs not coupled together[wavy hair or normal hair]..there is more space for air to move over thier heads, as to less air resistance, so they could move faster around the court. :D

12. Jonno

Jonno Regular Member

So why isn't Anders Boesen taking home all the Grand Prix titles? ;) :p :D

13. cooler

cooler Regular Member

LOL, it is only a statistical trend, not a direct one to one relationship. ie,i presented 5 cases. Having 1 exception case of baldness isnt enough derail my little theory, yet :p

14. cooler

cooler Regular Member

your point isnt solid because the advantage of better cooling supercede the benefits of lower air resistance which is very very negligible. If your point is valid, then all badminton players should shaves their head and legs as well. The body hairs actually enhance cooling because it give the body more surface area for the sweats to dry off. Better drying = better cooling. Wavy or low air resistance hair cut guide air AROUND and OVER the head, defeating cooling ability.

Now you understand why XZX fold up his shirt collar ;) If lowering air resistance is so important, all pros baddy players would wear those tight body wrapping cyclist jersey and pants, not loose clothing.

#14 cooler, Jul 3, 2004
    Last edited: Jul 3, 2004
  15. Jonno

Jonno Regular Member

Good theory it is though, think I'll nip down the hairdressers' as soon as I get the chance :rolleyes::p

16. cooler

cooler Regular Member

Jonno, the anders boesen case bugs me because it doesn't fit well with my original postulation and my general observation of top athletes.

First: Yes, having less hair improve aerodynamics but in badminton, player aerodynamic is less so important as compare to other sport like marathon or swimming or cycling. Badminton players cool off from sweating more so than from rushing fluid over body.

Second: I did some more research and found this. Bald headed people actually sweat less efficiently. There are 2 major kinds of sweat glands, one kind (Apocrine) is connected to the hair follicle. If # of hair follicle is reduced or shut off, rendering this class sweat gland ineffective. These Here is the description:

Sweat Glands
    Sweat is a watery substance that is made up of urea (waste product of protein change in the kidneys), fatty acids, and salt. Perspiration is an important function of the skin that cools the body through evaporation and clears the body of waste that can be expelled through its pores. In order to manage such a critical task, the body employs a system of sweat glands that runs throughout the skin. A sweat gland is an elongated tubular structure that originates in the subcutaneous tissue beneath the dermis and extends up to the surface of the epidermis, where it ends at either a pore or a hair follicle. At its secretory base, the gland is coiled and bunched, but its emerging duct straightens as it reaches toward the surface. A sweat gland is one of two types, eccrine or apocrine.

Eccrine sweat glands, of which there are a greater number than apocrine glands in the body, terminate in a pore. Therefore, eccrine glands are predominantly responsible for sweat secretion and cooling the body. They are found everywhere on the body except the rim of the lips and most of the xxxxx. There may be as many as 2,000,000 to 5,000,000 eccrine glands in the body, with the greatest accumulation on the palms.

Apocrine sweat glands open into and feed hair follicles explicitly. They are typically larger than eccrine glands and are more developed in women. They are found in greatest number in the xxxxx region and in the armpit. When an apocrine gland secretes sweat, some of its cells disintegrate. The product of this disintegration contributes to sweat, which, depending on the amount and type of bacteria it produces, carries an odor that is characteristic of perspiration.

Third: Bald people tend to have less sweat glands overall. This is just one case study and may not be 100% conclusive but it is an indication.

A total of 85 members of a family in which several individuals presented with hypodontia, hypotrichosis, and hypohidrosis were examined. Of these, 77 were evaluated clinically and the results compared with those obtained in an equal number of carefully chosen controls. The main symptoms among the affected males and females involved changes in the quantity and texture of head hair and in the distrubution of body hair. More than half of the males also showed precocious baldness. The average of missing teeth was 12 among men with the syndrome, but only 2 among the obligate female carriers. The sweat pore counts were lower in the two sexes (42% and 60% of the normal values, respectively), and a much higher degree of asymmetry was observed especially among the affected women.

17. tir168

tir168 Regular Member

Uni Student
    after that reply by cooler...i got nothing more to add. :D damm.. :mad: :)

18. cooler

cooler Regular Member

sorry.... :p :D

19. Jonno

Jonno Regular Member

I'm impressed. I feel as though I've genuinely learnt something after reading that. :cool:

20. FEND.

FEND. Regular Member

Full Time Badmintoncentral.com/forums camper. Part
    mmm. Reviving this thread for a small bit of extra info.

1) If the head is bald, I don't think the person will lose more heat faster. Think bout computer CPU's. If it was proven that bald aka nothing above the surface of where heat is being emited from, the why aren't we running CPU's without heat sinks with just a fan blowing on it from the side of the case and nothing but airspace between the CPU and the fan.

2) The spiky and not so thick hair will increase the amount of airflow as, surface to volume ratio is greatly increased. Hence the transfer of heat out through conventional air cooling is faster.

3) In thermal physics, it is stated that items which are black & dull coloured (most asians have blackhair) lose more heat through radiation compared to shiny and white coloured surfaces.

Hope this clears up thermal physics.

~Cheers