Juniors

Discussion in 'General Forum' started by Sliced Drop, Jul 2, 2004.

1. Sliced Drop

Sliced Drop Regular Member

I'm wondering why we don't see more Junior-related posts here on the forums. Are we really so isolated from those who are the upcoming players? I find it a bit bizarre - we all know that the best players in the World are under 30, yet there is very little contact with those under 18 unless they come here and post.

Why is that? Shouldn't we be doing everything we can to encourage growth in our wonderful sport?

Now just to balance the scales... US Junior Nationals have been taking place this week at Marblehead High School, Marblehead, Massachusetts.

There's an exhibition match there tonight at 6pm. Tony Gunawan and Andy Chong will be playing.

2. blckknght

blckknght Regular Member

Pastry Chef
    Maybe because a lot of the posts also apply to juniors as well... I'm a junior, and most of the things talked about here on the forum apply to me too. On the other hand... I would like to mention that it is too bad there aren't many more junior tournaments going on, it's a little bit more tough when you go to play at a club where you're the youngest one there. this happens a lot for me.
    would anyone else like to comment?

3. badnetic

badnetic Regular Member

mayb cause u live in america where tennis and american football are more popular and better to fund whereas here in singapore where badminton is highhly popular is difficult not to see juniors

4. Dill

Dill Regular Member

Lazy git (my coach can verify this)
    No it's not an American only problem, there have been simmilar threads in a UK forum about why most of the good clubs seem to have very few members under 30.

5. mnda_315

mnda_315 Regular Member

all members in my club are under 20, there are so many little kids here..i feel such old here..:p but i dunno if my club is a junior club, but as far as i know it is open for everybody.. (or maybe older poeple dont seem to like practicing with kids???:p :p )

6. LazyBuddy

LazyBuddy Regular Member

Engineer
    Here are my wild guess about the reasons:

1. Financial: Many kids do not make enough to support their own living. Therefore, they might not have as much freedom as adult (participating in club, training, tournies, etc). I know a junior player, who also participated in the Junior National. He's a very good player, and being able to kick most of our local "joe club player" badly. However, he does not have a car. It's great that his friends (club members) and his parents willing to give him ride here and there, to let him train and practice. However, I am sure not every kid has the "luck". :rolleyes:

2. Social group: Kids like to hang out with their friends, who are about the same age. Some of our discussions are way beyond their knowledge lvl, such as law terms, science theories, social standards, etc. They just don't want to talk with our "oldies". :D

3. Internet control: Here in US, many internet provider offers "parental control" features. Parents might just leave very few "safe" website for kids to use, therefore, they might not get as much "social" as us on internet.

4. Schedule: Kids need to go to school, taking exams, and doing HW. Therefore, they can't stay up late as some of us. In my local area, many club sessions end around 11pm or so, which further prevent the kids to participate, due to transportation and safy concern. Also, some local tournies were scheduled around school exam week, which means a no-no to kids, who have enough to deal with their final exams.