Just Enough

Discussion in 'Chit-Chat' started by wilfredlgf, Jul 3, 2004.

1. wilfredlgf

wilfredlgf Regular Member

Security Engineer
    I woke at 11:09am this morning after spending the early mornings reading of Frodo and Sam's journey up the stairs of Cirith Ungol and deep into Shelob the Spider's lair, ending this endeavour at 3:30am. Thus, I woke up like a reanimated zombie, moving about without much zest. I only began to show much of a pulse of excitement at the thought of brunch (breakfast+lunch) and reading the sunday papers which are the best editions IMHO. Thus, I grabbed my keys and went of to the nearby coffee shop to pack some chicken rice.

"Chicken rice, add rice", I said to the guy who chops all the juicy and delicious pieces of chicken meat.

Often, my lunches on weekends are complete meals - economy rice with two types of vegetables and one meat or beancurd dish but today I felt the need for a change. And, the economy rice stall which is just next to that selling chicken rice (owbed by same person) would often have the dishes half finised by early noon as people would go there and eat or pack by as early at 10:30 am. I only eat the economy rice there if the time have not passed 12:00 pm.

As the chicken rice dude is chopping the pieces of roasted chicken for my pack of rice, I went and reached for my wallet in the back pocket. "Where is it... eh? Where is it? The heck...!". I forgot to bring the one thing that can ensure I don't starve - the wallet! I brought all the keys and the cellphone but not the wallet!

I ate chicken rice there before and I know that the price would be RM 3.40 for added rice. "How will I go through this?", I thought. The shopkeeper knew of me because I buy from them just about every weekend but not close enough for casual conversations. I don't quite think that they'll allow for credits and I myself don't feel like owing anybody any money.

"Think, university boy, think!", I went. One way to do so is to ask if I could credit but as said before, I don't like this idea. The other is to drive all the way home and grab the wallet, come back and pay. The latter is most ridiculous but perhaps is the most sensible. Yet, somehow when I thought about going back to the car to drive back, I remembered that I have some money in the ash tray.

I went to check and indeed, there was money - a few 20 cents coins, one 50 cents coin and one piece of RM 2 note which had been in there since last month. Why didn't I use to pay for toll, I don't know but one reason is perhaps because of the queue at the toll - since that I have RM 1 to pay, might as well pay that one and not hold up the line. I counted and counted, excluding all the 5 cents, I have exactly RM3.50.

As I sat at the table eating the chicken rice I bought, reading of Samwise Gamgee's choice to continue on without his master, I could only wonder and be amused that we are all but a small part of a large plan.

Luck or coincidence?

I guess the Big Guy upstairs must be watching me with amusement and decided to bail me out by blotting out all memories about the RM2 note before today until the time it is needed. ;)

2. Hugo

Hugo Regular Member

Electrical Engineer
    Ummm, Wil???? You spent a good page of words to tell us this story?? :D :D

LOL. Actually, I would be feel a little anxious if I was already digging into the food and I realized I wasn't carrying any moola. But since you knew the owners and they knew you from past visists, I'm sure there woulda been no probs even if you had no money.

3. Break-My-String

Break-My-String Regular Member

I know this is off topic, but...

Is this your first reading of The Lord Of The Rings? (is this after seeing the movie?)

The first time I got my hands on one, I read the whole book in 3 days! :eek: , I just couldn't stop! :D :D

Cheers!

4. Dill

Dill Regular Member

Lazy git (my coach can verify this)

That's about 300+ pages a day :eek: :eek: :eek:

#4 Dill, Jul 4, 2004
    Last edited: Jul 4, 2004
  5. cappy75

cappy75 Regular Member

Depot Support Representative
    Damn! I couldn't beat that one... took me 2 weeks to finish the series (including the Hobbit).

6. cappy75

cappy75 Regular Member

Depot Support Representative
    Ironically, I didn't get hooked into the series until I read the Hobbit:rolleyes:. First impression of the first LOTR book was that it's overwhelming. I managed only two pages when I got the series, didn't touch it until months after I got the Hobbit.

7. Break-My-String

Break-My-String Regular Member

A bunch of friends asked if I wanted to go see the Fellowship OTR in the theatres, a movie based on Wizards & ancient lore (obviously, I have not heard of the LOTR). So when the lights came on, I yelled "THAT's IT?!", and that's when I was told the movie was based on a 3-part book!

One of my friends had the single volume LOTR, I borrowed it right away to read it! I probably slept less than 4 hours within those 3 days.

After I finished the book, I read the whole thing again (taking 7 days) to get parts that didn't make sense the first time.

Since the Fellowship came out in the theatres, I have read LOTR at least 7 times, especially when the next part was coming out in the theatres.

Cheers!