Court Jester Badminton Freak

Discussion in 'Introduction' started by jester, Jul 4, 2004.

1. jester

jester Regular Member

Hi to everyone. I'm Mike from Cebu, Philippines. Been playing badminton regularly for 2 nd a half years now. Just want to know more people that are hooked up on this sport like me. Logged on to this site to know more about badminton shoes. I'm using mizuno waves shoes right now and am very satisfied. They give enough shock absorption to protect my ankles. Used to wear Asics gel but the sole easily wore out. Tried Adidas and they're not for me coz of my flat feet. Anyway, bought Victor gold shuttlecocks and they're not the same quality as the ones I bought in the past. The new ones I bought are too light and the feathers easily wear out.

2. Break-My-String

Break-My-String Regular Member

Welcome to BF!

Where abouts do you play in Cebu? Is it recreational or club/competitive play?

Do you prepare/steam the shuttles in any way? or do you play with them right out of the tube?

Cheers!

3. jester

jester Regular Member

Steaming Shuttles

Started playing two years ago in a country club with my wife. What started out as a hobby turned into a regular thing. Since my my wife's cousin organized a varsity team in their school, started joining the team practices. Now I play almost everyday. There's a very new facility which has 12 taraflex courts and, boy, it's been very full. We have formed a quorum of friends that play for 3 hours a day.

How do you steam shuttles by the way? We always use them right out of the tube. Got so disappointed with my Victor gold shuttlecocks I bought from Beijing two months ago. They're brittle already. Would steaming them help? Could you teach me how?

4. Break-My-String

You're making my racquet hand twitch! :D I think a lot of us would be envious to be able to play everyday on 12 taraflex courts!

Because I organize a badminton session for competitive play, I need to maximize the durability of the feather shuttles. I know if I don't steam the shuttles, I would use another 40% on shuttles!

I have tried various methods from

1) taking them into the bathroom during a steamy shower
    2) placing the birds in the refrigerator
    3) injecting steam (from a kettle) into both ends of the tube
    4) steaming each individual shuttle on the kettle's spout (ouch, take about time consuming and cooked finger tips!:D )
    5) dipping the feathers in water

The best technique I have found which is quick and the outcome is consistant, it is placing a damp paper-towel on the bottle of the tube (the round end where you draw the shuttles out).

My best example was when I had some AS50s that were over 2yrs old and was very brittle (didn't last more than 6pts) when I tried playing with them right out from the tube. I did the damp paper-towel thingee, and within 2 days, the paper was DRY. I did it again for another 2 days and the paper was semi-damp. BOY DID THOSE AS50s FLY BEAUTIFULLY (no tipping required) & LASTED FOR LEAST 11pts!

You will need to experiment a little bit because every batch is different.

I am not saying the Victor Gold will last that long, but it will last longer compared to not being steamed!

Cheers!

5. jester

jester Regular Member

Steaming Shuttles

Thanks for the great tip. Will try the wet damp paper towel method 1st. Anyway, one last question though... When you put the damp paper towel, will you cover the tube again or will you leave it open? And when you do leave it open, will you make the tube stand to position the paper towel at the bottom or at the top??

Thanks again for your great tip!!!

6. scchang

scchang Regular Member

Mechanical Engineer
    FYI

http://www.shuttlecock.com/Resources/Shuttlecock/hydrate.php
    Have fun!
    -SC

7. jester

jester Regular Member

8. Break-My-String

The link by scchang is correct, you need to seal/close the ends of the tube, and have it standing up-right.

Doing this 12hrs before you use it may not be enough time. I would suggest 2 days, but each shipment of shuttle will vary.

Two other special things I have discovered but is not specified in the above link

1) I use very hot water thus causing evaporation earlier
    2) Replace the first shuttle with a dead shuttle this way you won't care if the first cork gets all wet

Cheers!

9. jester

jester Regular Member

Steaming

I used my steamed shuttles now and they're a lot better.... although, I think you're right that I should wait for 2 days before using them. Talked to my playmates about it now. We played for 4 hours and got winded out the last hour. Anyway, will be playing for 3 hours again tomorrow. Guess I have to take time off on Friday. Anyway, what's that about the new Yonex "Offensive" and "Defensive" Rackets? My cousin got them from HK. Kidded him that he has to change rackets in the middle of the game ( he he he). As for me, I spend more on good quality shoes than expensive rackets. Broken a few since I've played. I really like the Mizuno shoes I got so I decided to stick to them. I have 3 pairs right now that I take turns using. As for rackets, I have a new Victor that I now use with an Ashaway string (tension 24). As for the others, I just use the fake Yonex MP100 which costs a tenth of the price of the original. I am convinced that it's more of your technique than the racket. Execution is important than the model or brand of your equipment. I spend on quality shoes because my ankles hurt and my feet get sore with the other brands that have less sole protection.

Anyway, thanks again to both of you for your tips. Would look forward to playing with you if given the chance.

10. mrsbulldozer99

mrsbulldozer99 New Member

in search for my perfect badminton shoes

Hi mike! just want to know what design/model of mizuno shoes you use. You see, i'm still in search for my perfect badminton shoes, tried a lot of brands already.Does mizuno have badminton shoes now? As per my inquiry from Mizuno USA, they referred their volleyball shoes for me because they still don't have specially designed badminton shoes as of now. Thanks.:)