fustration

Discussion in 'Techniques / Training' started by badmint0nplaya, Jul 5, 2004.

1. badmint0nplaya

badmint0nplaya Regular Member

Hey everyone! Well I just want to tell you a problem I have but I don't know how to fix it. To start off, I can call myself an intermidate player. I go play 3-4 times a week, then the rest of the days I go and workout except sundays. I have this problem were one night I play very very well, then the next day, I play like crap. I hate it! Its so fustrating. Lately, I been playing bad. My smashes got weaker, my drops aren't ging over, my footwork got crazy(been playing doubles alot, so lazy in singles) and I just feel like I lost everything! This is how I feel 1~~>!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Yeah, and I noticed my reaction time is late a lot becasue I don't know where they are hitting it to. I just feel like I think to much...ahhh.......I mean, you should think, but I don't know, just not playing my A game. Can you guys help me out..I don't now...bring back my confidence back? And just being me back up to my A game....I don't know what to do. Also, what do you think about when you are playing....because I have no clue. Thank you!!!

2. cooler

cooler Regular Member

Surfing, reading fan mails:D, Dilithium Crystal hu
    u r pushing beyond your ability, asking to do more than your skill level can deliver, time for u to practice and do more drills. Better yet, have a coach to see where r your deficiency.

3. badmint0nplaya

Im working too hard over my limit? I mean, how? I can do these thigns, just I lost the touch to it......i lost my confidences....I lost it playing a game a match @ a tournament, and I just can't play liek myself anymore...is that too much for me?

4. Wizbit

Wizbit Regular Member

Testing ladie's lingerie
    Another way to look at it

I bet in practise you can do everything, but nothing works in real games right? :eek:

Have you learned any new techniques or footwork recently? It may sound funny but when you concern yourself with playing the perfect shot or foot work, it can disturb your normal game compared to a game with the old habits and less than perfect footwork.

There are many threads related to this topic. It takes a lot of time to perfect technique, and so even though your overall skill levels have increased, you just need more time and practise to incorporate them in real play. I think just about every improving player has come across this at one point or another.

There are many older club players who play with less than perfect technique or footwork, but does not mean their shots are not equally as effective. That is why a lot of club players, especially the older ones just carry on playing like as they are, because they don't want to invest the time or effort to embrace change and it's consequences.

Ultimately it's up to you, to train to what level you want to play*. Your motivation and effort will be what distinguishes you from the average intermediate level play. If you feel like throwing the towel in, just take a couple of weeks off from badminton and see, you might be in for a surprise**

Carry on doing the drills, but in play try to enjoy yourself and concentrate on returning a good quality shot, don't overload your brain too much ;) Without the fun, what is the point of having the perfect technique?

You should also ask yourself, do you get frustrated because;

(a) your shot quality is poor?
    If so, which ones in partucular (also ask your partners)

(b) you lost the game

(c) all the above :)

it is also useful to know which of your shots are effective, again try asking partners and opponents after a game. Ask someone who has seen you play for a length of time if this(these) shots have improved since they first saw you play?

Report your findings if you can please :)

5. Dill

Dill Regular Member

Lazy git (my coach can verify this)
    You have to bear in mind the learning curve for badminton is not a continualy increasing one, it may well be that at this time you are leveling out where you are trying to master certain things and others around you are getting used to your game where as they are trying new and different things which is why you are getting caught out.

It happens to all of us the best thing to do is to go back to basics, once your basics are sound and you can do the proper stroke and footwork less can and will go wrong and you can build from there.

Each and every game is different and the pressure levels put on you by the opposition are different with each action and reaction, you just need to equip yourself to cope with them and turn the tables so you are the one in control.

6. badmint0nplaya

thank you both Dill and Wizbit..

7. badrad

badrad Regular Member

currently unemployed
    it does sound that you hit a plateau, and will just take some time to get over it. it happens to everyone at various stages.

but, what cooler could be referring to tho' is that although you may be quite fast and competent with your current abilities and skill set, it is possible that your fundamentals are not perfect - this would have come from the very beginning of your badminton learning. doing drills and repetitions, and the various exercises to get your body to a peak operating performance, it can only carry your level to as far as the early fundamentals will allow it to go.

this is were an experienced coach will be of immense benefit (or conversely - of great discouragement). let them look at your basics, and your current level. an experienced coach will be able to give you an accurate assessment of how far you can reach with your basics, and even provide you with a proper roadmap for increasing your performance.

8. wilfredlgf

wilfredlgf Regular Member

Security Engineer
    A good rest may do you some good. Really. Some sports analysts actually recommend some sabbatical from the sports that athletes are doing. Go fishing or do some painting maybe. I think kwun goes cycling often.

9. lalanthier

lalanthier Regular Member

Student
    1) You begin and you know you're not a good player
    2) You learn the basics and you think you know everything
    3) You become more advance and have to finally confront how much you don't know
    4) You become intermediate and know almost exactly where you are on the spectrum of skill - but you're not one of those national players
    5) National player
    6) World Championships.

It's actually quite depressing when you hit step three. That's where I'm at. You realize how many things you need to tweek. Basically there's a bit wrong with every stroke you've got and you wonder how you could've gone on for so long with that problem.

Just focus on fixing it. I find I can basically fix certain shots to a noticeable degree within a week or two. My clear's the only exception...and so I know exactly what you mean. I just can't seem to get it properly.

10. TrunkZ69

TrunkZ69 Regular Member

Student
    It possible your just trying to hard. It's better to relax while your playing. Seems like your putting pressure on yourself to do well everytime. Like cooler said though, you got to just drill like your life depended on it. It's the only way you can get consistency. Coaches speed up the process several fold btw, so if your young and think you can take it, get a good one :)

11. confuzzledfreak

confuzzledfreak Regular Member

Student
    no, it's actually more depressing if ur sumwhere between steps 2 and 3, like a i am

12. Jumpalot

Jumpalot Regular Member

Hey man, the key sentence in your post is that you workout when you arent playing. The main reason is that workout changes your body alot by constantly shifting your muscle states from worn down to recovering.
    By the way, before you play. What do you do ? Anything physically or mentally stressful? Do you eat before you play or have only a night snack? Are your legs and arms tired before you even start? I guess you should know where I am going with these questions. The point is this, if you are working out alot, you could be too tired on certain days for competitive badminton. As we all know, badminton is an incredible sport and never underestimate what it takes to play your "A" game. I personally recommend that you have only a light dinner including fruits or energy bars. The reason is simple, you simply cant play well with a full stomach. Besides, keep in mind that playing badminton is not like hitting against the wall, you will be playing against guys who also have good and bad days. Are you sure you arent running into people having good days and starting thinking you are having a bad day?? Just curious.
    Anyways, my point is this, you cant play better by thinking oh my god i am not having a good day. Instead, You need to warm up longer and concentrate on your swings and make sure you are in full control of your racket and run up and down the court without any problems before you start any matches. Further, if you want to play consistently on top of your game, playing too many games isnt usually the answer. You need to take some time away and drill with a friend or take a few lessons from a local coach.

#12 Jumpalot, Jul 16, 2004
    Last edited: Jul 16, 2004
  13. paulchow

paulchow Regular Member

I'm too lazy to read all the responses but I can relate to your problem, as I used to play about that much and workout constantly. I'd say most of the issue stems from the working out. In my case I used to basically do 3 sets of less than 10 reps for several exercises focusing on one or two components of the upper body, and be exhausted at the end. After doing this it of course takes a few days for the muscles to repair. I noticed that my skill was sporatic and I often unable to smash at my max power or I would become prone to some kind of arm injury that would limit my play for a week or two.

Now I'm not saying u should stop working out. What I would suggest is don't be stupid like me and focus entirely on ur upper body and leaving the cardio and the legs to badminton. It doesn't work like that, and especially if ur a teenager its far more important that you stay fit and healthy than to be buff. My ignorance, I believe, is connected to persistant back issues.

If ur like me you're probably into the hype about gaining mass on the chest and back by doing high weight low rep exercises for mainly those muscles and drinking powders a few times a day and eating yams and eggs all the time...I say dont worry too much about gaining mass till ur done growing.
    #1 importance when you do ur workouts should be core and back using high rep exercises. (I'm sure u know lots of exercises for these so im not going to suggest any)
    #2 is legs. Despite playing badminton 3 or 4 times a week I still suggest running or cycling every other day, and perhaps incorporating farmer's walk, lunges, squats, etc. that you find effective for your body.
    then workout whatever else you want.

You will notice these kind of exercises, while being more beneficial to your general happinness/health, should also aid in your consistency.

P.s: sry if grammer's bad, I rushed through this post

#13 paulchow, Aug 5, 2004
    Last edited: Aug 5, 2004
  14. lsk_rulez

lsk_rulez Regular Member

Sounds like you think the problem is psychological. How about shaking things up a little, like changing the strings on your rackets, replacing the grip, or even getting a new racket.

The suggestion to take a break is also good, I think.

15. Brenn

Brenn Regular Member

heehe im at stage 3, theres soooooo much i want to improve apon, yeh my skill level was quite erratic, ex national/state players use to comment on how well i was playing but other times, well no comments for me :(

16. IvanM

IvanM Regular Member

I just went through stage 4
    hehe

~~~~~~~~~~~~~

when i was starting realise it was one of those bad days

i try to keep my shots simple and concentrate

:D :D :D :D :D try to groan when u play

it may help reduce the stress

i wonder if u watch rugby

coz if u have seen the NZ playing

they have da dance thing