Steaming Shuttlecocks?

Discussion in 'Shuttlecock' started by Farseer, Jul 6, 2004.

1. Farseer

Farseer Regular Member

I recently bought some Kamachi brand shuttlecocks from ebay and they all seem to be way too light and dont fly at all :confused: . I read on another post about this problem was to do with old stock and they were going to "steam" the shuttles to see if that helps.

Can anyone explain this process to me and I will give it a try as right now the shuttles are useless to me so I dont mind destroying them trying to fix them haha.:D

Perhaps the brand is a crap one...?

Thanks in advance for your help.

P.S. I am only going to use them for practice so I really just want them to fly the normal distances I dont care about anything else now as anything is a bonus compared to how they fly now :p .

2. LazyBuddy

LazyBuddy Regular Member

Engineer
    1. For steaming process: http://www.shuttlecock.com/Resources/Shuttlecock/hydrate.php

2. Check the FAQ section regarding to shuttle weight/speed information.

3. Farseer

Farseer Regular Member

Thanks for Advice

Thanks for your advice!

I have looked at the article and it seems to be about brittle feathers but I think my problem is the cork is too soft and light in the ones I have. Do you think soaking the cork in water will make it heavier and harder. I have a slight worry though if I soak them too much that they will make nice wet noises when I hit them and spray water all over the court after a big smash.

Might be funny to use that on my friend who loves to smash if it gives him a good soaking haha...:D

So does anyone know how to increase the shuttle weight? Will soaking the cork in any liquid work?

4. LazyBuddy

LazyBuddy Regular Member

Engineer
    If the cork is way too light / soft, it just might be the quality of the shuttle itself. I don't think there's anything u can do, but change to another kinda shuttle.

Btw, what is the shuttle's weight/speed? There should be label indicates such information on the end cap.

5. Farseer

Farseer Regular Member

Mmm I think they are crappy shuttles also which is a shame if I cant fix em haha =P

The packaging looks to be of high quality but there is no sticker with the speed and weight.

On the tubes they say.

KAMACHI
    R.T.M.NUMBER:927975
    MADE IN CHINA

Green Sticker inside the shuttle says
    PRO YOUNG
    9005-1

Feathers seem fine and it seems to be the cork that is the problem now I compare them to my expensive $3 each Yonex practice ones. The Yonex ones are much harder and heavier but I assumed this was because those ones are the Yellow fast sticker ones.

6. Break-My-String

Break-My-String Regular Member

If you really want to experiment with those shuttles, take a look under the label on a (used) shuttle (ie/ where all the feathers are attached to the cork). Usually, cheaper & light shuttles are made with a screw inside the cork to give it some mass. Either replace the screw with a heavier one or put one in.

Have fun!

7. bluejeff

bluejeff Regular Member

Developer
    Never heard of this company, and they don't seem to be a big company, too.
    Well, now you know if you should buy from them next time or not...... :)

8. Farseer

Farseer Regular Member

Found the reason!

Ahh thanks for the advice. I took it and looked under the sticker and to my suprise there is no CORK??:eek::confused: So I did a crosssection of it and found the whole head of the shuttle is just the soft sponge material. That explains why it is so light and soft!

I dont think I will try the screw idea though as it sounds a little unsafe if someone smashes the shuttle and the screw comes loose haha.:p

I will never buy this brand again.:mad:

I have tried to attach a picture for you guys haha.:cool:

Attached Files:

9. jester

jester Regular Member

From the looks of it, I bought more or less the same kind. It kinda flew litterally!!! ha ha ha ha

10. Winex West Can

Winex West Can Regular Member

Hi Tech
    Looks like it's low quality, low end shuttle brand. Wouldn't be surprised if the feathers themselves are either chicken or duck feathers instead of goose.

Top quality shuttles are made from goose feathers with the cork coming from a certain region in the Mediterranean. The top quality corks are usually reserved for corking wine and the next grade down is used by the shuttle manufacturers.

11. Farseer

Farseer Regular Member

I agree.

Ill never buy that brand again. Lucky I didnt buy too many tubes.

12. Isometric_kid

Isometric_kid Regular Member

Student
    i remember like 3 days ago no one brought birds and one guy only had feathers so we took it to the steam room in the pool to steam it and WHOA my glasses fogged so bad but it worked really well =D

13. cooler

cooler Regular Member

Surfing, reading fan mails:D, Dilithium Crystal hu
    LOL, yes, i'd said that is the best method to steam shuttles i heard so far

14. setaa

setaa Regular Member

here in indonesia, my coach told me to put the shuttles in the fridge instead..
    has anything to do with the climate maybe?

15. bariq

bariq Regular Member

Try this,

Dig out some sponge by drilling a hole, make some mixture of sand and super glue. Fill the drilled hole with the mixture, this way you can add weight to the shuttle and its not so unsafe like the screw stuff :cool:

good luck

16. mnanchala

mnanchala Regular Member

Engineer
    ^^ did you anytime try putting a drop of superglue on sponge/rubber? Try it... no need to drill, it will make a hole itself.