User Tag List

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Speed vs Acceleration

Your car specs spoke about cars that you own and how it performs, based on your own observation.

Now, let's say you need to get a new car and you can afford only two:-

Car A - Higher acceleration, lower top speed eg. 0 - 100 in 10s, top: 150kmph
    Car B - Lower acceleration, higher top speed. eg. 0 - 100 in 14s, top: 175kmph

Based on your driving habits and preference, which will you choose and why?

Allow the argument to go based on subjective reasons - feel, personality, experience, driving environment.

Let's keep it simple yeah, because not everybody in BF is an auto-fanatic, so we make a simplistic assumption based on speed and acceleration. No gear ratios etc please!

Assume all other variables are the same.
    Last edited by wilfredlgf; 07-09-2004 at 03:20 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by wilfredlgf
    Your car specs spoke about cars that you own and how it performs, based on your own observation.

Now, let's say you need to get a new car and you can afford only two:-

Car A - Higher acceleration, lower top speed eg. 0 - 100 in 10s, top: 150kmph
    Car B - Lower acceleration, higher top speed. eg. 0 - 100 in 14s, top: 175kmph

Based on your driving habits and preference, which will you choose and why?

Allow the argument to go based on subjective reasons - feel, personality, experience, driving environment.

Let's keep it simple yeah, because not everybody in BF is an auto-fanatic, so we make a simplistic assumption based on speed and acceleration. No gear ratios etc please!
    I will take A, because you never need to be that fast anyway (plus you will get a speeding ticket for that), but you sometimes need fast acceleration for:
    1. avoid an accident (or things on the road......etc)
    2. quickly pass the car in front because you don't like him
    3. Just a quick pick up after making a turn

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Exactly the kind of answer I'm looking for.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

neither, 0-100 in 10s is still too slow

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hehhe.. I'm a car nut and I wanted to say too that 0-100 in 10 is not really brisk acceleration.

In anycase, I'll put in my vote for the quick accelerating car. In city driving (and even autocross SCCA Solo II racing), it's just plain more useful than top speed.

i.e. I'd take a Lotus Elise (high acceleration) over a Lamborgini (high speed) any day. Of course a Mclaren F1 has both and I'd take that if there ever was one for sale *wipe drool*.

Quote Originally Posted by cooler
    neither, 0-100 in 10s is still too slow

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Gee. 0 - 100mph is too slow!? You guys must be all millionaires driving Italian sport cars.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Oh right 100 mph.... excuse me there Being Canadian and all I always assume kph (Horray for Metric!). Yes... 0-100 MPH in 10 is pretty darn fast.

P.S. In all fairness, the original post says 150 kmph..... so it's actually 150000 mph.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I see. 100 kph is about 60 mph. 10 sec is quite slow. Lucky you all, and poor us had to deal with gallons, miles, lb... especially when taking physics and math classes in college.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by 604badder
    Oh right 100 mph.... excuse me there Being Canadian and all I always assume kph (Horray for Metric!). Yes... 0-100 MPH in 10 is pretty darn fast.

P.S. In all fairness, the original post says 150 kmph..... so it's actually 150000 mph.
    To make this clear, I would say this:
    Since Miles Per Hour and Meters Per Hour are all abbreviated in MPH, the original post's 0-100 kmph is consider close to 0-60 miles per hour, or 100000 meters per hour.

PS: 1 mile is roughly about 1.6 km and 1 km is 1000 meters in case if anyone want to know the calculations.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Bluejeff, I was just joking around with the typo he had (he typed kmph). kilo mph.... so at 150 kmph, that's one hundred fifty thousand miles per hour.... ... guess there wasn't much of a chuckle out there

Quote Originally Posted by bluejeff
    To make this clear, I would say this:
    Since Miles Per Hour and Meters Per Hour are all abbreviated in MPH, the original post's 0-100 kmph is consider close to 0-60 miles per hour, or 100000 meters per hour.

PS: 1 mile is roughly about 1.6 km and 1 km is 1000 meters in case if anyone want to know the calculations.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Bluejeff, I was just joking around with the typo he had (he typed kmph). kilo mph.... so at 150 kmph, that's one hundred fifty thousand miles per hour.... ... guess there wasn't much of a chuckle out there
    kilometers per hour is correctly abbreviated as km/h which is kmph. kph is technically wrong

and it doesn't really matter which car you pick... if you aren't happy, just change the gear ratios

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Only 2 countries in the whole world still use the imperial system, US and UK. I thot american had booted out the british long ago (last rumble was jan 1815). I guess US never had got rid of those british

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Boy I think I'd suck at physics if I had to do it in slugs, miles, and pounds. Don't even start me off on 32ft/s^2. Sorry...little off topic ^_^

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I know , I know....
    But I think there are tons of people don't know what those means....so I just said it out.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Our dowdy home made mum's taxi or boring rep cars generally does 0-100 in 7s. We Aussies like cars that accelerates hard but not necessary that fast due to our stupid road laws.

Most of our cars are speed limited to 180km/h even though most of them can get up to 250km/h....

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ayl
    Our dowdy home made mum's taxi or boring rep cars generally does 0-100 in 7s. We Aussies like cars that accelerates hard but not necessary that fast due to our stupid road laws.

Most of our cars are speed limited to 180km/h even though most of them can get up to 250km/h....
    that's why i've said i prefer driving quick than driving fast. There is no law against 0 - 30 mile/hr in 2 sec or 0 to 60 mile/hr (within 60 mph zone) in 5 seconds but if i travel at a sleepy pace of 35 mile/hr in a 30 mile/hr zone, i'll get a speeding ticket.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by cooler
    There is no law against 0 - 30 mile/hr in 2 sec or 0 to 60 mile/hr (within 60 mph zone) in 5 seconds
    in the UK, it depends on the circumstances. If in getting that acceleration you get some wheelspin, or maybe you do it approaching a pedestrian crossing etc.., the police have been known to say you are not in control of your vehicle, or you are driving without due care and consideration, or whatever else they think fits the bill if they are below their quota of tickets.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast