Which racket is best for me?

Discussion in 'Racket Recommendation / Comparison' started by qippi, Jul 9, 2004.

1. qippi

qippi New Member

Hi all :)
    my first post here. Excuse my english, i think its far away from beeing perfect *g*. Im searching for a new racket. After a pause from Badminton of 3 years i want to restart playin now. Played Badminton from my 6th year to 17 before. So i think i can call me an advanced player. Also won some tournaments (only small ones with like 20 opponents) here in Germany.
    I always played aggrassive, so i used smashes and clears (hm dont know how its called right... here we call a blow from the last fieldline of one field to the other last fieldline like this) often. With smashes i did most of my points. Think ive a good one. I also liked drops. Sometimes tried so fool my opponents with drops when they thought ill play a clear or smash (urgs what an english :[).
    Hope this is enough about my playstyle. If not.. ask pls :).

In past ive tested many differend rackets. Also this ones which have a form like a squash-racket... but ive never known the real difference between all ofthem. When i thought: "hey this is nice to smash". I never thought of stuff like headbalanced or so...
    So i dont know what racket is best to buy.

I dont want to have THE highend racket with the highest price. In 1 year theres a new and better one and ive to pay another 150E for it.
    A racket with a good price/performance ratio would be nice. Up to 100E is ok.
    But if a highend racket does a big difference ill also buy a highend one. But i think the racket is a small factor if a player is good or bad. Or am i wrong?

The racket should be solid, cos i want to play with em some years. My father is using his racket 15 years know and hes still successful.
    I thought of rackets like mp99 or AT500. But theyre really exspensive...

http://www.smash-sport.de
    http://www.badmintonladen.de
    http://www.badmintonhandel.de/

in one of this shops ill order the racket. Maybe u can coordinate urself thorug this german ;).

oki, thats all... hope someone can help me. Thanks!

2. Henrik

Henrik New Member

There is this guy on Ebay auctioning rackets like MP99 for 85 euro.
    I was told by him that they are originals and come with 2 years of warranty.

Not many bidders so you can probably pick one up for 85 euro aswell.
    I did so yesterday. For 15 euro he will string them with YONEX BG65Ti.

I asked for the serialnumber, waiting for him to reply now :cool:

Here is one of his auctions going right now:
    http://cgi.ebay.de/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=68785&item=3687180682

3. qippi

qippi New Member

Thx for ur answer. I think the mp99 is ja nice racket from what ive read here in forum. But how is the durability of this racket?
    Ill play single and also double matches. Think it would be a bit annoying when a 100E racket breaks at first contact with another racket. Ok, sure it can always happen... no racket is made for hitting metal. For a good durability the racket could be a bit (slightly ;) worser to play in my opinion. So for me in this case ->
    durability>playability.
    Are there differences between Armortec 800 of/de, AT 500, Mp99 and other suitable rackets? In general... how is the durability of this "highcost" rackets?

4. LazyBuddy

LazyBuddy Regular Member

Engineer
    This is quite hard to answer.

Rackets are not made for mis-hit, bump the floor, hitting on body, or clash. Depend on the force, spot, direction, tension, etc, 1 racket survived 2 clash does not mean it must be "more durable" than the other racket which only can survive 1 clash.

In general, try to avoid using high end racket, if u don't know the partner (especially low in skill lvl) very well in doubles. Also, unless it's necessary, don't strung racket with too high in tension. :)

5. qippi

qippi New Member

But i think there are diffferences between the Armortec and the Muscle Power series from Yonex in durability. Or am I wrong? When i surf the forum Ive found some posts that say the MP series would be a bit less durable compared to other Yonex rackets. And compared to other racketbrands, how good is the durability of Yonex rackets? In general, are Yonex rackets "better" but more exspensive than the rackets of other brands? Thanks :p

6. lalanthier

lalanthier Regular Member

Student
    It's not actually the series that makes the racquet more or less durable. It's just the racquets in the series.

I've head the MP100 is pretty brittle at times, and same with the Armortec 700. The MP88 is also ver fragile. The MP99 is pretty good, but as most yonext racquets go, it won't survive a lot of clashes and slams againts the floor or wall.

Ti-10 is a pretty durable racquet, and so is the AT500. I don't know about the AT800DE/OF. The DE is supposed to be more versitile I think - there's a huge review of the AT800. Both seem to be very popular, with few big differences. Those are expensive though...hehe.

7. LazyBuddy

LazyBuddy Regular Member

Engineer
    Somehow, I feel like too much information might be mis-leading.

When I 1st joined this forum, I got the same feeling as MP series are the least durable rackets ever. Why? Almost every 1 or 2 days, u will see someone says a MP is broken.

However, is that a fair assumption? NO. Yonex MP rackets might be the most used among players, such as MP100, 99, 88, 77, 55... With such a large "base", the chance for a racket losing in battle is much higher than the less poplar used ones.

For example, I have 1 ProKennex and it cracked. Can I claim ProKennex rackets suck, as I know the breakage ratio is 100%??? Of course, not, as the "survey pool" is very limited. Same as I can't claim Prince rackets suck, as the breakage ratio is 50% (I got 2, 1 cracked).

Of course, certain rackets might be fragile as some whatever scientific theory can proof that. However, just by reading 20 threads, and draw a conclusion is not a fair deal. :)