User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 17 of 32
  1. #1
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    surrey
    Posts
    20
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default My first badminton injury!!! What was your?

    About 3 weeks ago, I was warming up with the usual deep clear rally with my opponent. Then out of no where I felt this pain at my middle knuckle join of my racquet hand, my right hand. I could not grip the racquet tightly when I attempted to hit the birdy. I looked at the knuckle and there was this dark red and puffy look to it. So I stopped, drove to the doctor. He told me that it is a common injury stems from over working the muscle causing it to swollen. He gave me a presciption and told me to keep it iced.

    Here is the silly part. I didn't bother to buy the medication thinking I could just ice it, give it time to heal. But 3 weeks have past and it still has yet to completely heal. I can grip my racquet and play but there is still pain. And it always looks red.

    Will the knuckle heal if I keep ice it without taking the medication?
    And what was your first badminton injury?

    ti_con

  2. #2
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    Australia
    Posts
    8
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Just take the medication and keep icing. Might be a good idea to actually stop playing with that hand till it heals as you will just hurt it more.

    I think my first one was just pulling a calf muscle and having it hurt for a few weeks. Took them off and did nothing and now its back to being fine. I did have lots of hot showers and massage the muscle though. They seem to help lots.

    Always do your stretches! I did mine but I think i just pushed myself too hard at the end of a 4 hour playing session haha

  3. #3
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Sudbury
    Posts
    47
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    my accident was pretty odd, i dunno if it's related to exactly badminton cuz i was just walkin......so, during practice, my coach told me to play some doubles, so i walk to the other side of the court and rolled my ankle...i WALKED thats how it happed. then he told everyone to start buying court shoes, and lifted up my injured foot...everyone was laughing at me, it hurt like hell, and it got swollen! haha that was pretty funny. then i have another where this 6 foot something guy (from my team) smashed the birdie right at my eye! that kinda hurt too!...ya those are my badminton injuries...pretty lame compared to others i'm guessin

  4. #4
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    Burnaby BC
    Posts
    232
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Well i can't recall my "First" injury, but i remember jus yesterday, when i was playing around on the court, rallying in a Mix doubles game, i was right up against the net trying to stop their hit backs, but then all of a sudden the birdy was about 3 feet away from me, and the girl from the other side Smashed it right up on the fat part of my chest, and it hurted pretty bad ^^"...

    and when i first started, when i swing, sometime i hit myself in the Nuts...and it hurts >.<!

  5. #5
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    ireland
    Posts
    10
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    my 1st injury

    my 1st baders injury happened in feb, i changed rackets from a mp77 2u to a carlton as-ti which is quite a bit lighter, i also went from about 22lbs to 30lbstension and after 1 2hr session, that just wrecked my arm.
    the next time i played a few days later, I had no power whatsoever, i couldnt even clear to the baseline and kill with half court smashes. i got physio for about 6wks ,diagnosed with repetitive strain injury, to no avail because i gave it no more than a weeks rest at any one time becuase of a hectic tourney schedule.
    it is only now that my full power has been restored and my game back in good shape, my power is my greatest weapon so u can imagine how good the last 4 months have been!
    i had some good results during that period so im dying to start the new season!
    anyone ahve a similar problem.

  6. #6
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    surrey
    Posts
    20
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Farseer, I did go and got my medication. Hope it will help.

    Baddygrl, are you sure that you did not trip over someone's foot while checking out the cute guy you played against?

    Yipom, ooch!!! Hearing the birdy flies past me from behind, just missing my ear by an inch from playing double is scary.

    Roge, i think that is what happened to my middle finger too-repetitive strain injury. hmmm, I'm thinking of having my racquet string to a higher tension. did you get more power from the higher tension???

  7. #7
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Sudbury
    Posts
    47
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Ti_kon
    Baddygrl, are you sure that you did not trip over someone's foot while checking out the cute guy you played against?

    ewwy, i can't believe you just said that...first of all, if you seen the guys at my junior/midget practices, you would understand...our team is very mean to each other, so i'm not ashamed of what i just said. and no it was not over someone's foot, my coach said it was my shoes...no good for playing baddy!

  8. #8
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Location
    Basement Boiler Room
    Posts
    22,118
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Xo_BaddyGrl_oX
    ewwy, i can't believe you just said that...first of all, if you seen the guys at my junior/midget practices, you would understand...our team is very mean to each other, so i'm not ashamed of what i just said. and no it was not over someone's foot, my coach said it was my shoes...no good for playing baddy!
    LOL, it was quite mean of your coach to use you as a 'baddy' example.
    Glad that u can laugh over that incident. Did you ankle got stronger after healing? Mine did and gotten larger after healing I learnt from that the shoes are the most important piece of badminton equipment. You better rename your precious LOL

  9. #9
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    KL, MAL
    Posts
    697
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    my first injury was ankle. I have had a back injury too. The back injury was painful and i had to crawl for few weeks!

  10. #10
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    411
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    After using cross trainers instead of proper court shoes for over 5 years, I haven't gotten any ankle injury. And I do play aggressively..attacking service, moving constantly during the rally.

    The only injury I've had so far is a slight pain in forearm..after playing for 3 hours using the Cab 7000.

    On a side note, it seems like injuries are unavoidable in basketball. It's all about going after the ball..and there's gonna be physical contact. This is precisely why I should stick to badminton :P

  11. #11
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    May 2002
    Location
    New York, US
    Posts
    10,283
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Xo_BaddyGrl_oX
    and lifted up my injured foot...
    Lol...

    Think this way, at least, he lifted ur injured foot, and let u stand on the good one. Imagine he did the other way around??? Must be hurt as hell then. Good to know you recovered.

    Saw and heard too many cases of injuries related with shoes. That's why I always suggest my fellow club members to buy proper baddy shoes - no need to be top of the line Yonex, but at least not running type of shoes.

  12. #12
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    ireland
    Posts
    10
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Ti Kon....... yes i definitely got more power with higher tension, like the last time i got a restring, the stringer made a total mess of it and it ended up at about 22lbs or less and it woz like a trampoline, no power or control. i play with about 27/28lbs now and that has far better power, u have to find the right tension for yourself so its not to tight or loose. my advice would be to gradually move up tensions because the tighter the strings, ur arm gets tired sooner and injured more easliy because more of the shock is going into ur arm and it takes time to adjust.


    Rodge

  13. #13
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    New York
    Posts
    9
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    I used to play badminton with barefeet or with sandals as most people do in smaller alleys, sidewalks, smaller roads, street corners, backyards, in Indonesia. So my whole feet, toes and angkles used to swell a lot, sometimes stepping on small rocks, mud, thorns, sharp objects, etc, especially after doing jump smashes. After an hour of playing hard core badminton (this was what we called it), they would just bleed, swollen, and stuck with sharp small objects.
    Last edited by Smashking; 07-12-2004 at 03:23 PM.

  14. #14
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Location
    Basement Boiler Room
    Posts
    22,118
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Smashking
    I used to play badminton with barefeet or with sandals as most people do in smaller alleys, sidewalks, smaller roads, street corners, backyards, in Indonesia. So my whole feet, toes and angkles used to swell a lot, sometimes stepping on small rocks, mud, thorns, sharp objects, etc, especially after doing jump smashes. After an hour of playing hard core badminton (this was what we called it), they would just bleed, swollen, and stuck with sharp small objects.

    any pics

  15. #15
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    New York
    Posts
    9
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by cooler
    any pics
    Off course not, this was probably 10-14 years ago.

  16. #16
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Location
    Pilipinas
    Posts
    119
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    last week, i had my first major injury.... rolled ankle = bad sprain. It was a freak accident actually, coz i was not scrambling for a shot, it was a pretty regular backhand clear from the far corner of the court. Pretty dumb way to hurt myself coz there was just no explaining how it happend. I felt and heard an audible 'pop' (kinda like popping ur knuckles, but bigger) ... my partner swore he heard it too.... did some RICE on the ankle... swelling seems to have subsided, but im guessing im out for at least 2 wks. Btw, i was wearing proper shoes

    i call it my major injury coz it made me stop playing. My other chronic pains from badminton are a pair of bad knees, and some kind of a tennis elbow. They couldnt stop me from playing.... just played through the pain while i strengtend the affected areas until the pain became bearable. I look like a robot with all these straps on me... 2 patella straps, 1 tennis elbow strap.... and then now, i guess im gonna have to wear ankle support thingees.

    Oh well, the joys of badminton gotta have a price

  17. #17
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    Richmond
    Posts
    146
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by carlol
    last week, i had my first major injury.... rolled ankle = bad sprain. It was a freak accident actually, coz i was not scrambling for a shot, it was a pretty regular backhand clear from the far corner of the court. Pretty dumb way to hurt myself coz there was just no explaining how it happend. I felt and heard an audible 'pop' (kinda like popping ur knuckles, but bigger) ... my partner swore he heard it too.... did some RICE on the ankle... swelling seems to have subsided, but im guessing im out for at least 2 wks. Btw, i was wearing proper shoes

    i call it my major injury coz it made me stop playing. My other chronic pains from badminton are a pair of bad knees, and some kind of a tennis elbow. They couldnt stop me from playing.... just played through the pain while i strengtend the affected areas until the pain became bearable. I look like a robot with all these straps on me... 2 patella straps, 1 tennis elbow strap.... and then now, i guess im gonna have to wear ankle support thingees.

    Oh well, the joys of badminton gotta have a price
    a bruised black-and-blue toenail from lunging incorrectly

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Badminton injury
    By Netasia in forum Injuries
    Replies: 25
    : 04-30-2007, 02:37 AM
  2. Badminton Injury
    By Chickenwing168 in forum Techniques / Training
    Replies: 5
    : 03-02-2007, 06:10 PM
  3. help me, badminton injury
    By mansour in forum Injuries
    Replies: 10
    : 11-01-2005, 03:24 PM
  4. serious badminton injury
    By mansour in forum Chit-Chat
    Replies: 6
    : 10-28-2005, 11:42 AM
  5. Badminton Injury
    By LingDan in forum Injuries
    Replies: 25
    : 06-28-2005, 09:43 AM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •