My first badminton injury!!! What was your?

Discussion in 'Injuries' started by Ti_kon, Jul 10, 2004.

1. Ti_kon

Ti_kon Regular Member

About 3 weeks ago, I was warming up with the usual deep clear rally with my opponent. Then out of no where I felt this pain at my middle knuckle join of my racquet hand, my right hand. I could not grip the racquet tightly when I attempted to hit the birdy. I looked at the knuckle and there was this dark red and puffy look to it. So I stopped, drove to the doctor. He told me that it is a common injury stems from over working the muscle causing it to swollen. He gave me a presciption and told me to keep it iced.

Here is the silly part. I didn't bother to buy the medication thinking I could just ice it, give it time to heal. But 3 weeks have past and it still has yet to completely heal. I can grip my racquet and play but there is still pain. And it always looks red.

Will the knuckle heal if I keep ice it without taking the medication?
    And what was your first badminton injury?

ti_con

2. Farseer

Farseer Regular Member

Just take the medication and keep icing. Might be a good idea to actually stop playing with that hand till it heals as you will just hurt it more.

I think my first one was just pulling a calf muscle and having it hurt for a few weeks. Took them off and did nothing and now its back to being fine. I did have lots of hot showers and massage the muscle though. They seem to help lots.

Always do your stretches! I did mine but I think i just pushed myself too hard at the end of a 4 hour playing session haha:p

3. Xo_BaddyGrl_oX

Xo_BaddyGrl_oX Regular Member

grade 11 student in Sudbury!
    my accident was pretty odd, i dunno if it's related to exactly badminton cuz i was just walkin......so, during practice, my coach told me to play some doubles, so i walk to the other side of the court and rolled my ankle...i WALKED thats how it happed. then he told everyone to start buying court shoes, and lifted up my injured foot...everyone was laughing at me, it hurt like hell, and it got swollen! haha that was pretty funny. then i have another where this 6 foot something guy (from my team) smashed the birdie right at my eye! that kinda hurt too!...ya those are my badminton injuries...pretty lame compared to others i'm guessin

4. Yipom

Yipom Regular Member

Well i can't recall my "First" injury, but i remember jus yesterday, when i was playing around on the court, rallying in a Mix doubles game, i was right up against the net trying to stop their hit backs, but then all of a sudden the birdy was about 3 feet away from me, and the girl from the other side Smashed it right up on the fat part of my chest, and it hurted pretty bad ^^"...

and when i first started, when i swing, sometime i hit myself in the Nuts...and it hurts >.<!

5. rodge

rodge Regular Member

studnet
    my 1st injury

my 1st baders injury happened in feb, i changed rackets from a mp77 2u to a carlton as-ti which is quite a bit lighter, i also went from about 22lbs to 30lbstension and after 1 2hr session, that just wrecked my arm.
    the next time i played a few days later, I had no power whatsoever, i couldnt even clear to the baseline and kill with half court smashes. i got physio for about 6wks ,diagnosed with repetitive strain injury, to no avail because i gave it no more than a weeks rest at any one time becuase of a hectic tourney schedule.
    it is only now that my full power has been restored and my game back in good shape, my power is my greatest weapon so u can imagine how good the last 4 months have been!
    i had some good results during that period so im dying to start the new season!
    anyone ahve a similar problem.

6. Ti_kon

Ti_kon Regular Member

Farseer, I did go and got my medication. Hope it will help.

Baddygrl, are you sure that you did not trip over someone's foot while checking out the cute guy you played against?

Yipom, ooch!!! Hearing the birdy flies past me from behind, just missing my ear by an inch from playing double is scary.

Roge, i think that is what happened to my middle finger too-repetitive strain injury. hmmm, I'm thinking of having my racquet string to a higher tension. did you get more power from the higher tension???

7. Xo_BaddyGrl_oX

Xo_BaddyGrl_oX Regular Member

grade 11 student in Sudbury!

ewwy, i can't believe you just said that...first of all, if you seen the guys at my junior/midget practices, you would understand...our team is very mean to each other, so i'm not ashamed of what i just said. and no it was not over someone's foot, my coach said it was my shoes...no good for playing baddy!

8. cooler

cooler Regular Member

Surfing, reading fan mails:D, Dilithium Crystal hu
    LOL, it was quite mean of your coach to use you as a 'baddy' example. :D
    Glad that u can laugh over that incident. Did you ankle got stronger after healing? Mine did and gotten larger after healing :) I learnt from that the shoes are the most important piece of badminton equipment. You better rename your precious :p LOL :D

9. Kamen

Kamen Regular Member

Self-Employed
    my first injury was ankle. I have had a back injury too. The back injury was painful and i had to crawl for few weeks! :D

10. TheGr8Two

TheGr8Two Regular Member

After using cross trainers instead of proper court shoes for over 5 years, I haven't gotten any ankle injury. And I do play aggressively..attacking service, moving constantly during the rally.

The only injury I've had so far is a slight pain in forearm..after playing for 3 hours using the Cab 7000.

On a side note, it seems like injuries are unavoidable in basketball. It's all about going after the ball..and there's gonna be physical contact. This is precisely why I should stick to badminton :p

11. LazyBuddy

LazyBuddy Regular Member

Engineer
    Lol...

Think this way, at least, he lifted ur injured foot, and let u stand on the good one. Imagine he did the other way around??? Must be hurt as hell then. :rolleyes: Good to know you recovered.

Saw and heard too many cases of injuries related with shoes. That's why I always suggest my fellow club members to buy proper baddy shoes - no need to be top of the line Yonex, but at least not running type of shoes. :)

12. rodge

rodge Regular Member

studnet
    Ti Kon....... yes i definitely got more power with higher tension, like the last time i got a restring, the stringer made a total mess:mad: of it and it ended up at about 22lbs or less and it woz like a trampoline, no power or control. i play with about 27/28lbs now and that has far better power, u have to find the right tension for yourself so its not to tight or loose. my advice would be to gradually move up tensions because the tighter the strings, ur arm gets tired sooner and injured more easliy because more of the shock is going into ur arm and it takes time to adjust.

Rodge

13. Smashking

Smashking Regular Member

I used to play badminton with barefeet or with sandals as most people do in smaller alleys, sidewalks, smaller roads, street corners, backyards, in Indonesia. So my whole feet, toes and angkles used to swell a lot, sometimes stepping on small rocks, mud, thorns, sharp objects, etc, especially after doing jump smashes. After an hour of playing hard core badminton (this was what we called it), they would just bleed, swollen, and stuck with sharp small objects. :p :p :p

#13 Smashking, Jul 12, 2004
    Last edited: Jul 12, 2004
  14. cooler

cooler Regular Member

any pics :confused: ;) :D

15. Smashking

Smashking Regular Member

Off course not, this was probably 10-14 years ago.

16. carlol

carlol Regular Member

entreprenuer
    last week, i had my first major injury.... rolled ankle = bad sprain. It was a freak accident actually, coz i was not scrambling for a shot, it was a pretty regular backhand clear from the far corner of the court. Pretty dumb way to hurt myself coz there was just no explaining how it happend. I felt and heard an audible 'pop' (kinda like popping ur knuckles, but bigger) ... my partner swore he heard it too.... did some RICE on the ankle... swelling seems to have subsided, but im guessing im out for at least 2 wks. Btw, i was wearing proper shoes :p

i call it my major injury coz it made me stop playing. My other chronic pains from badminton are a pair of bad knees, and some kind of a tennis elbow. They couldnt stop me from playing.... just played through the pain while i strengtend the affected areas until the pain became bearable. I look like a robot with all these straps on me... 2 patella straps, 1 tennis elbow strap.... and then now, i guess im gonna have to wear ankle support thingees.

Oh well, the joys of badminton gotta have a price :D

17. confuzzledfreak

confuzzledfreak Regular Member

Student
    a bruised black-and-blue toenail from lunging incorrectly :eek:

18. cooler

cooler Regular Member

it seems like ankle is the most prone badminton related injuries.
    It would be clearer if the subject identify his/her injured ankle from their racquet foot or non-racquet foot, or from any other appendages. I think i have mentioned before that mine was the non racquet foot ankle.

#18 cooler, Jul 12, 2004
    Last edited: Jul 12, 2004
  19. carlol

carlol Regular Member

entreprenuer
    mine would be the non racket foot.... if that means the left foot if im right handed.... :mad:

20. cooler

cooler Regular Member

dont get :mad: at me, i didn't cause your injury :eek: