Slight pain-switching from head light to head heavy racquet

Discussion in 'General Forum' started by prophet, Jul 11, 2004.

1. prophet

prophet Regular Member

teacher
    I've recently switched from a relatively head light racquet (Yonex Ti-7 Light) to a more balanced relatively head heavier racquet (Yonex MP99). Outside of the usually time needed to adjust to the balance, swing speed and sweet spot, I've noticed that I'm beginning to get some pain on the outside of my arm between my elbow and wrist, about 10 inches from my elbow, probably around the outside muscle area. It's like a tightness, similar to an uncracked knuckle, but there is also some pain when trying to lift my arm.

I've looked at the information regarding tennis elbow, and the pain isn't really on the elbow, so I don't think its that. The pain is not present when I'm playing, and doesn't inhibit my play, but the muscle seems sore after playing. I'm of the opinion that its just the muscle getting used to the switch in racquets. (I've read in some other threads that there can be some arm/elbow pain that results when switching racquets.) I've used the racquet 4 weeks (3-4 hours of play a week) and it was more noticable the last two weeks. I played last night and again the muscle seems sore but not as bad as before.

Any experiences, advice or opinions? (BRL- what do you think?)

Also any players who switched from a head light to head heavy racquet, I'm interested in knowing your experiences and time frame in finally getting comfortable with your new racquet.

peace,

2. iameddy

iameddy Regular Member

same problem

I got the same problem when I try the AT700 and after 3 hours playing the musle beyound the elbow crack but no pain unless I pressed it. So I stop using AT700 and 2 weeks later back to normal. Consider to get a Karakal SL-70

3. din

din Regular Member

executice
    I thought MP99 is more balance rather than head heavy. Anyway, I switch from very similar racket (Ti 7 Light) to more balance racket (Cab21, Cab20MS and Cab30MS lately). Yes, I did suffer a similar pain on my shoulder, but it does improve my technic and add a lot of punch to my strokes/swings. I don't know how do balance racket give more feel and punch but believe it or not, I decided to switch to balanced racket because of these forum!!!!! :D

4. taneepak

taneepak Regular Member

Designing and producing quality feather shuttlecoc
    Prophet, I suggest you add 2-3gm to the handle of your racquet. The best place is in the hollow of your handle; but this requires removing the butt cap. Or you can use about 2-3gm of plasticine and press it to the butt cap. Another way is to replace your grip with one that is 3-4gm heavier than the one you are using. If pain still persists, try adding 1gm each time, until the pain goes away. It should work. I do this routinely for elbow-pain sufferers. :p

5. prophet

prophet Regular Member

teacher
    taneepak, thanks for your suggestions. Just curious, why does increasing the weight of the handle decrease the elbow pain? I've read many of your posts and your modifications of racquets, so I've no doubt you know what you are speaking about.

I'm not sure of my ability to add weight into the hollow of the racquet or of adding plasticine. Will adding another overgrip work the same? ( I currently use one overgrip already; the racquet grip size is G5). My hands are big enough that I don't think it would bother me much.

[btw-Next time I'm in HK, we'll have to get together a game :p ]

6. cooler

cooler Regular Member

Surfing, reading fan mails:D, Dilithium Crystal hu
    prophet, the procedure is just rebalancing your so call 'head heavy' racket. If you put lead (Pb) in the handle hollow cavity, you can make mp99 and even AT700 feel super head light :p

7. Traum

Traum Regular Member

I primarily use a head light racquet myself (BK 2008QC), and I have a similar problem when I play hard using head heavy racquets.

I find that the mind problem is, with the usual head light racquet, I tend to whip my racquet pretty fast because I need the extra head speed in order to hit those powerful shots. Therefore, when I switch to a head heavy racquet, I just automatically do the same thing, and I end up over-excerting myself because the racquet weight / balance is different. In the beginning, I have to actively remind myself that I need to swing slower. The shot will still be just as powerful because of the greater weight in the racquet.

-Rick

8. prophet

prophet Regular Member

teacher
    If I rebalance the racquet, won't I negate the purpose of switching to a slightly head heavier racquet to gain a little more power? I'm thinking that I should just continue to train my muscle so I can get used to the new racquet.

Maybe I'll combine what taneepak said and just add a little bit of weight and see how it is, and then take it off eventually.

Traum, I think I agree with what you said, and thats partly what I'm thinking I'm doing too.

9. Californian

Californian Regular Member

Having always used head-heavy racquets, I've never experienced this problem, but I'm wondering if the cause of your pain might be more from the folllow-through than the forward swing. Consider that once you've hit the shot, the increased momentum of the heavier head pulls on your muscles and tendons which are working to slow the head to a stop.

Rather than continue using this racquet, my suggestion would be to return to your other racquet until the pain stops, and then gradually work on strengthening this area by doing wrist rolls or reverse wrist curls, combined with easy stretching of that area.

10. cooler

cooler Regular Member

Surfing, reading fan mails:D, Dilithium Crystal hu
    yes, there are several remedies to your situation but they are all derivative of this 2 main themes: adjusting yourself to the racket or make the racket adjusted to you.

Yes, it negate the purpose of switching to a head heavier racquet but that's life, one can't have it both ways. That's why all militaries have both jet fighters and bombers in their fleet. However, we can only carry one weapon on court. Note that in the 'racquet stock check' and 'what is your main racket' threads, many generals carry several models of weapons in their fleet ...ummm, racquet bag ;) to negotiate different kinds of opponenst under changing weathers ...ummmm or moods :p

#10 cooler, Jul 12, 2004
    Last edited: Jul 12, 2004
  11. taneepak

taneepak Regular Member

Designing and producing quality feather shuttlecoc
    Adding an extra grip to add weight on the handle is acceptable but not as good as inserting extra weight 2" into the hollow of the handle, because the latter is almost spot on at the axis of rotation whilst the former is an average. But having an extra grip can help minimize the vibrations that sometimes cause arm discomfort. Also, gripping the handle further up the shaft will help, taking advantage of lower pick-up weight.
    Adding weight by adding extra grip on head-heavy racquet does not adversely affect its power; the only disadvantage is the increase in weight, but you can try to get around this problem by adding the extra weight spot on at the axis of rotation.
    However there is a limit on how much extra weight you can put on the handle. Anything under 10gm is ok. :D

12. prophet

prophet Regular Member

teacher
    Thanks for all the tips, everyone. My arm feels less sore this week, so maybe I'm getting more used to the racquet. I'll keep all the suggestions in mind, appreciate all the feedback.

13. BethuneGuy

BethuneGuy Regular Member

Student
    I use mp 99 as well. As people say, its the stiffness. It requires more technique. Loosen up your swing, whip-like motion. Maybe because instead of 3 lever system, now it's two. Mp 99 frustrating when u just pick it up and you're not full of power/good technique.

14. TheGr8Two

TheGr8Two Regular Member

I've used a variety of rackets (overall heavy ones, head heavy ones, head light ones etc) and my feeling is that it's either your muscles aren't quite developed yet or that your swinging technique isn't right.

When I started badminton, I would get a slightly sore arm from using Ti 7. But I switched to MP77, which is even balanced like MP99 (it's actually more sluggish than MP99 in fact) and I still get slightly sore arm. After MP77 broke, I switched back to Ti 7 and I don't have the sore arm anymore. Probably because my arm have strengthened a bit.

Perhaps training with a heavy racket is what shaped my muscles to avoid arm-soreness. I still train with an old aluminum Cab 7000, and if I use it 3 hours straight, that will give me sore arm, though if I have breaks, it's not a problem.

15. badboy4life

badboy4life Regular Member

tax dodger!
    using a heavier racket will give you more pain in your arms etc..but no-offence that shows you are not a good player ... because most of ur work is done by your arm not your racket...so it shouldnt be making that much diffrence!

and you should use very good rackets in that case

i got the yonex 996...and the nano 9000

16. Athelete1234

Athelete1234 Regular Member

Student
    I dont' think you should keep bumping up dead threads...

17. reach.ran@gmail

reach.ran@gmail Regular Member

Hello all, I am a new member of BF. I hope some one here could help me select a Sotx raq (or any other brand). Thanks in advance[​IMG]

I want a very flexible shaft raquet that is head light and light weight as well. I am 6 foot tall and have loads of power, so i can generate enuf power even with light weight head light racquet. Please sugguest one even if it is from other brands. looking for one under $100 and one under $200. I have used carlton superlite, wilson n6 and head nano power 700, karakal sl 70 before. These racquets are headlight, had very flexible shaft(except Carlton, karakal) and vey light weight. But the downside is they all break even after 1 clash, and most of the times by just hitting the bird in the rim(cos i smash really really hard). I have broken about 7 carlton racquets, 5 wilson and 1 head nano 700 and my quest for a durable racquet with above mentioned qualities continues.

So I want something that is very durable, very flexible shaft which is head light and the whole racquet light weight as well. If the racquet is shorter in length than normal ones, that is ok (cos i have long arms). The only thing i can compromise is overall racquet weight. Even if it heavier but headlight, flexible and durable, that is ok.

Plz help! Thnks again [​IMG]

18. precrime3

precrime3 Regular Member

N/A
    that same thing happened to me when i switchted from a nanospeed to a voltric. A voltric 70 in fact. it was also stringed at 28 lbs. a sudden difference from 22lbs on my nanospeed to 28lbs from my voltric there was some pain.but i toughed it out for maybe one - two days and my drops and smashes where considerably better. even thought a nano is headlight and a voltric is headheavy i mangead to change and i have no pain in my arm whatsoever the next week.

19. precrime3

precrime3 Regular Member

N/A
    @ reach.ran@gmail.com welcome to the awesome sport of badminton btw. i think that if you have lots of smashing power. i would go for a head heavy racket and a more stiffer shaft possibly medium flex or stiff. i have a voltric 70 and i think it fits your criteria its very lightweight being 80-85 gm. and it can pack a pucnh. it is also very aerodynamic and has a thin shaft. pauls review here: http://badminton-coach.co.uk/1786/yonex-voltric-70-badminton-racquet-review/ is also very informative

20. dontmakeme

dontmakeme Regular Member

student
    You just need to adjust to your racket. I suggest you do some workouts or weight lifting for your forearm/bicep/tricep that should probably help your arm get stronger and be able to maneuver the racket more easily. Playing more with the racket will eventually get your arm stronger but try not to stress your arm by playing a long duration without taking a breather. Have fun I have the same issue with my voltric 80 from nanospeed 6600.