Cross-dressing... shoes

Discussion in 'Clothing & Footwear' started by Phil, Jul 11, 2004.

1. Phil

Phil Regular Member

Lawyer
    Is there any big difference between the male and female versions of shoes? I know they say like "contoured for the female foot," but is it a very big difference?

The reason I ask, is because I have very small feet, and sometimes I cannot get the men's shoes in my size, but the women's version would fit, the difference being the colour and... anything else? Also, since the female versions aren't feminine colours like pink or purple (I'm not much for PC :) ), I wouldn't have a problem wearing them if they fit better. My current shoes are a size or a size and a half too large, so I have lots of room and its uncomfortable because I feel like I'm moving around all the time and it feels like the shoes are loose, but they were the smallest size available, at least in my country.

Any input would be great,
    Phil

2. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

wannabe badminton phototaker
    There must be some smaller sizes in HK.

Once you find a pair that fits correctly, you had better buy 3 pairs and stock up.

3. Phil

Phil Regular Member

Lawyer
    I was in Emmy today, and they were selling the SHB-98 for the equivalent of $70 CAD. The same shoes are going for $160 CAD back home. :D

Phil

4. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    women's feet are in general narrower than men's. that how they managed to fit into those tiny high heels.... :eek: and i think shoes designed for ladies are made to accomodate for that.

i say if you find a pair which fits you well, go for it, who cares if they are designed for ladies...

5. Phil

Phil Regular Member

Lawyer
    My feet are also very narrow, and with men's shoes I find I always have to pull the laces really, really tight just so I'm not sliding around in them.

I think I'll go out tomorrow and find some new shoes.

Phil

6. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

wannabe badminton phototaker
    Nah, go for Mizuno!!

7. Phil

Phil Regular Member

Lawyer
    Which ones are a good choice? I'll give them a look.

Phil

8. LazyBuddy

LazyBuddy Regular Member

Engineer
    Agree.

My local dealer also explained such to us. And she told us several male club players did purchase SHB98LX (blue logo). :) On the other hand, some female players with wider feet also prefer the men's shoes.

#8 LazyBuddy, Jul 11, 2004
    Last edited: Jul 11, 2004
  9. Phil

Phil Regular Member

Lawyer
    Today I ended up buying the Mizuno "Wave Smash RP," model (men's version), and I'll be using them tonight in a duel with Cheung to the death! (badminton-wise) Haha yeah right he'd kill me. :eek: I've posted a pic of them, has anyone else used these?

Earlier I said Emmys had the SHB-98 for $70 CAD, they're actually $85 CAD, and they only had a size 23.0 SHB-98L left, which was just a little too tight for my feet. :p

Phil

Attached Files:

10. FZ10000

FZ10000 Regular Member

hey phil, nice shoes, by the way, do you know if emmys has a website, i want to buy a pair of shoes online if possible, 80 seems like a pretty good deal from what i've seen around my area

11. cooler

cooler Regular Member

Surfing, reading fan mails:D, Dilithium Crystal hu
    getting the right fits is the most important. I know yonex differentiate men and lady shoes in design but i dunno if all other brands do that too and in which area.

That low price at emmys could be selling off the leftover sizes, is it?

12. LazyBuddy

LazyBuddy Regular Member

Engineer
    Unless you tried the shoes in local store already, and know exactly which size you are looking for, buying shoes online is a big risk. If you end up with the wrong size, it's a pain for return and might even waste more $$.

13. Dill

Dill Regular Member

Lazy git (my coach can verify this)
    The differences are ladies feet are narrower and also have a higher bridge, in other words narrow and tall, mens feet are wider and flatter.

Kwun is spot on, last year I had to use the ladies yonex trainers with the silver anti twist system because they fitted much better. This season I'm using the gents 98's because they are much narrower.

"If the shoe fits - wear it!"

14. Phil

Phil Regular Member

Lawyer
    As cooler said, the price is only for leftover sizes. The price of almost $500 HKD for the SHB-98L is for a single pair of size 23.0. That's a US size 5, or 5.5, I can't remember exactly.

As Lazybuddy said, it is vital when buying shoes to try them on beforehand. My last pair, YY SHB-89M, I ordered through someone (at a much reduced price, however), and they were adaquete, but a little too big. When I bought these shoes, I had tried on about 5 different pairs of shoes, moving around the store to test the feel. When I played last night with them, they felt less "clunky," than my old shoes.

The store owner said that Mizuno shoes are softer, and that the Yonex shoes are hard and stiff. I felt that the Mizunos did not need any time to break in. For people who are looking for good shoes, try Mizuno. Just make sure you get the badminton, not volleyball, shoes.

Phil

15. Phil

Phil Regular Member

Lawyer
    Sorry I forgot, Emmy's website is www.emmysports.com (that's what the shopping bag says), but it isn't anything much anymore. I remember they used to have a functioning site.

Also, I didn't buy the shoes from Emmys, but I have bought shorts for $60HKD and a Yonex collared shirt for $110 (both are older versions) from there.

Phil

16. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    did you buy them from Luxis?

Mizuno is a good choice. they made nice shoes. their sizing tends to be narrower which fits you well. unfortunately i have wide feet, i tried all of them and none of them fit me.

17. cooler

cooler Regular Member

Surfing, reading fan mails:D, Dilithium Crystal hu
    I tried shb89M, i find it a bit roomy. I'll try tightening laces more.

18. LazyBuddy

LazyBuddy Regular Member

Engineer
    Compare to SHB98MX, SHB89MX is wider. Therefore, for user with wider feet, brand new 89 takes much less time to break-in than 98.