strings breaking

Discussion in 'Badminton String' started by zerochillnet, Jul 11, 2004.

1. zerochillnet

zerochillnet Regular Member

when your strings break should you cut all the strings off or should you leave them. coz my friend said if u leave it the uneven tension will change the racquet head shape but my other friend if u cut it all off the zero tension will change the racquet head shape lol :confused:

2. LazyBuddy

LazyBuddy Regular Member

Engineer
    Cut all the string especially under high tension. The un-even force will damage the racket badly, especially under extreme temperature conditions.

Why zero force will change the racket shape? When racket 1st got manufactured, it has no string. So, why it's "dangerous"? :confused: :eek:

3. bluejeff

bluejeff Regular Member

Developer
    I guess you are asking that if you should cut all the strings if there is any broken string presented.

Do a search, I am pretty sure we have discussed this before.

4. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    racket sits unstrung (zero tension) in racket shops for ages before they get bought, i don't see any of them getting warped!

5. michaely

michaely Regular Member

when the strings broke on my Yonex B-460 (steel frame) I just left the strings on, and put the head cover on it... a couple of weeks later I took off the cover and the head had distorted! haha... it looked like one side of it was squashed in (one side was flatter and the other was more curved towards the opposite side - imagine a D instead of an O :D )
    so I'm guessing if you don't want to put imbalanced stress on your racquet you should cut the strings... although I read somewhere on this forum that someone just cut their strings with a high tension and that caused the racquet to crack? so I'm not sure... maybe there's a way of cutting them that doesn't stress the racquet at all? :confused:
    could all you experienced badminton people enlighten us inexperienced ones?

6. Neil Nicholls

Neil Nicholls Regular Member

This is a tip published on the United States Racquet Stringers Association (USRSA) website. I'm not sure I agree with it.

When cutting the strings out of a racquet, I used to start in the center and work toward the outside. Now I start by cutting the top cross at the head. Next, I cut the outside main on one side of the racquet, then the bottom cross, and then the outside main on the other side of the racquet. I continue going around the racquet in this fashion: cutting the second cross at the top, the next to the last main, the second cross at the throat, the next to the last main on the other side of the frame, etc. By the time I get to the center mains and crosses, they have lost much of their residual tension, which puts less stress on the frame.

7. tir168

tir168 Regular Member

Uni Student
    one question...

usually, i don't bring a scissors with me to the gym, so i just take the strings out hole by hole, is that "harmful" to the racquet or is that still fine?

8. jug8man

jug8man Regular Member

MultiTasked guy, Stress Addict, Leisure Bum, mad c

yes. VERY.

if you dont have a scissor with you try using a lighter. just make sure the center of the main and cross lines are tensionless when you are done. avoid the strings close to the frame for obvious reasons. this should be sufficient enuf to protect your racquet till the next restringing.

cheers mate.

9. LazyBuddy

LazyBuddy Regular Member

Engineer
    Personally, I think this is a very bad attempt, as it creates even more uneven force during the slow process.

When I see ppl doing that in gym, I just lend them my cutter, or do it for them. So, if you don't have the proper tool, ask around, and I am sure u can get one in no time. ;)

10. bluejeff

bluejeff Regular Member

Developer
    You could just go to any dollar store and get a scissor, it's only $1 :)

Or, you can get a keychain which has a little scissor.....that works as well.

11. LazyBuddy

LazyBuddy Regular Member

Engineer
    You are reading my mind, right? :D

12. tir168

tir168 Regular Member

Uni Student
    :eek: okay...oops..no wonder there was a cracking sound in my mp77 when i did that..Oops..guess i can't blame anyone now if my racquet just simply breaks. :p

thanks guys. next time i will rmbr to bring a scissors along in my badminton bag. :D