How to wrap grip tape to the top of the cone?

Discussion in 'Grip' started by fishmilk, Jul 11, 2004.

1. fishmilk

fishmilk Regular Member

Student
    Does anybody know how to wrap the grip tape all the way to the top of the cone? I'd really like to learn how to do that, I've tried, but I didn't know where to cut and in frustratedness, I just wrapped and taped it exactly like factory. I would really appreciate if anyone could help me out here. Also I am using Armortech 500, so C.S. Cap might be a little harder to wrap...

2. bluejeff

bluejeff Regular Member

Developer
    I thought most of the grips came with a little instruction (a sometimes a little picture) at the back of the pack. You can try to look at those and perhaps you will get it (with some calculations.)

3. fishmilk

fishmilk Regular Member

Student
    I bought the super grap from yonex, and it has instructions, I can wrap it fine, I just wanted to try to wrap it to the top of the cone and have no idea how.

4. cappy75

cappy75 Regular Member

Depot Support Representative
    Yeah, it's tough to wrap the grip onto the cone. What I usually do is make sure that I have more than enough to wrap the cone, and then wrap around it... key thing is not make it so taut that you have to constantly pull hard to maintain the progress. A little slack on the grip would help speed up the process. May I suggest that you wrap it all the way to the start of the shaft so that when you grip the cone, you get maximum coverage of the grip. The adhesive tape has no grip, so no point having it cover the cone.

5. FZ10000

FZ10000 Regular Member

when im wrapping the cone, i juts pull in the grip so it streaches a little and contours to the shape, but what really frustrates my is the armortec cones, beacause if its c.s.cap, but i still got it done, it is frustrating to wrap to the cone, but i just take my time and do a good job

6. LazyBuddy

LazyBuddy Regular Member

Engineer
    I just wonder, for AT series, the C.S.C is designed to help players to gain control. Therefore, why bother to wrap it up?

To me, wrap up the cone is very useful for the cab and swing power series, as the cones are relatively small, and harder to handle.

7. silentlight

silentlight Regular Member

student/programmer
    I always wrap pretty high up on the shaft. For instance, my mp99 here has the shaft wrapped high so that only "Muscle P" is visible.

I recommend what cappy75 said about wrapping at least up to the shaft if you're having difficulty getting the tape to hold on. The shaft has a much smaller circumference and so allows multiple rounds of the tape instead of ~1.5 on the handle or cone area.

8. ryeung

ryeung Regular Member

What I do is wrap the overgrip just past the cone on to the shaft. But only about the width of the tape that is supplied with the overgrip. When I get to the top of the cone, I start to cut the grip on a taper. When I'm done, I use the tape around the grip only. The shaft is not taped at all. I find that this works very well for me and it does a very clean job of finishing off the grip. I hope I have explained it well enough.

9. FZ10000

FZ10000 Regular Member

I see what your saying, but for me i feel that even though there is a wider surface to hold, it still feels very smooth and slippery becasuse of the clearcoat for the racket, but oh well its just me I prefer the c.s.cap gripped, it feels better for me

10. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    yeah. same here. it is hard to tape on the slanted edge. much easier when it is wrapping around the shaft. smaller diameter also means i can do a few more revolutions so the grip is secure.

11. Baddie

Baddie Regular Member

I just use black electrical tape. I pull and stretch the tape so it will wrap around tightly :p

12. fishmilk

fishmilk Regular Member

Student
    did any1 actually wrap a CS. cone b4? i especially need instructions for the cutting at the top, pictures would be awesome...

13. charzord

charzord Regular Member

Student
    Haha, I noticed you wrapped it EXTREMELY high up the shaft =P Actually, I barely see anyone here wrap the grip up so high. I don't do it because it looks so ugly :D

14. Brave_Turtle

Brave_Turtle Regular Member

Student
    I don't do it too because I don't see any reason why I shoudl do it and I agree thats its ugly ;)