User Tag List

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Oh, and for some of you who may wonder why some players try to be less noticeable at the club, here are some possible actions that can happen to those that are vocal:
    - if you plan to compete, or your children compete, they will be placed into crappy draws. this is sometimes in contradiction to ranking or seeding, since often is at the discretion of the organizers, who are often influenced by coaching staff.
    - if you are deemed to be an unfriendly (ie non-supporter of club staff), you will be identified to a small group that has many eyes, often located in a small table in the bar, and if you are in breach of even the smallest rule, be immediately reprimanded. Sometimes they go as far as letters to you, but sometimes the letters are circulated at the directors levels about the member. In some cases, you may not even know a letter has been circulated about you, unless there is further action taken. You might be surprised at some of the members who have been targeted in the past.
    - worse case, you are kicked out of the club. this takes time and money, but it seems to be a trump card that the head coach has used in the past. (ie. either this member is removed or "I QUIT")...
    - you may get hassled on court, or your guests are hassled (provided they are properly invited/fees paid, etc) by some of inner circle.
    - at one time in the past, it has even gotten to the point where your shuttles are checked for being original! if they are not legitimate shuttles or were imported illegally, you may be put on notice or threatened with legal action.
    - in other words, you are targeted.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by badrad
    Remind me again why people join such a "club"?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The situation seems so diff in canada based on what i read from this thread. i suppose the root of this difference is due to the fact that 1) the premise is club property, 2) members pay to enter and use the facilities based on 'per-entry' terms, and 3) i suppose membership is sort of a privelege than a right.

these things dont really take place in my area most probably due to the reasons 1) badminton courts are more like public areas (but not really of course), 2) the use of the premise (courts) is based on hourly rent not per entry. so u can pretty much do anything badminton related in these areas and no one would make a fuss about you. hourly rentals also eliminate the hogging problems.

but i suppose its not a fair comparison, and it wouldnt be right for me to suggest that the 'club' and per-entry system practiced in canada should be replaced because the existence of such system only shows that it was the most effective system for the badminton community in canada, such as that the rental per hour system works better in malaysia.

and about the greivience about certain managment of the club i assuming that the final say does belong to the club because they 'own' the place and it's their right to manage as they see fit. however right does not always equate to fair and im sure if 'they' do or have really crossed too far on that fine thin line im sure that nature and it's masses of disgruntled members would surely take things into their own hands............ go on strike la thats what i mean

but if nothing really happens i guess this will just be remebered as a small issue among a small minority of members.

good luck. may the sound of badminton in the halls never end...

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

fortunately for the majority of members there is not much contraversy. but when you get drawn in - either by design or by accident, you get wrapped into the situations.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

so much politics for such low profile sport
    i guess it's still pale when compared to what happened in orange county badminton club. *shrug*
    Last edited by cooler; 11-20-2004 at 04:01 AM.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Politics sucks...

Ugh! I think I have already got into an entanglement with one of the sentinels up in the windows. Small matter but evidently he didn't take too well when I got the management 'involved' in our little dispute. I have been warned about him before, so I felt bad about it.

I certainly hope that my name will never be circulated in the letters to the directors... I love this club so much! Badrad, please let me know if I ever inadvertently get into 'trouble' with the wrong crowd at the club. Already I felt some of the folks up in the viewing windows were watching me as I practice *shivers*.

fortunately for the majority of members there is not much contraversy. but when you get drawn in - either by design or by accident, you get wrapped into the situations.
    Last edited by cappy75; 11-20-2004 at 09:33 AM.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default not all watchers...

i guess you have an idea of what does happen sometimes. one point, some of these sentinels seem to have very long memories... if on the opposite side, you may never know if/when some incident or member comes back to haunt you later..

before too much paranoia sets in, not everyone is on the same agenda. it is quite surprising sometimes to see where the loyalties lie in some people.

many watchers are just observers, many members provide good entertainment. there are a hardcore few that are spotting potential competitors and are cataloging the skills and weaknesses of each member, on the chance they might meet in matches.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks guys, you have just confirmed what I have always felt when I was a memeber of VRC for 3 years. Eventhough I was never targetted, the atmosphere in the club was never that of "friendliness". This is a know fact outside of VRC, only the certain people refuse to accept the fact. It is even known in Washington State, remarks from the players there when I played in the last two WA Open.

In VRC defence, I would say 85% of the members are ok, but the 15% has the most voice and does the most damage. It is really a shame as I still consider VRC the best place to play badminton. Too bad that so few can ruin it for so many.
    Maybe it is time for the 85% of the members to do something about the issue, get into the managing circle and change things around.
    Badrad, you run the club, I will rejoin

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Oh, and for some of you who may wonder why some players try to be less noticeable at the club, here are some possible actions that can happen to those that are vocal:
    - if you plan to compete, or your children compete, they will be placed into crappy draws. this is sometimes in contradiction to ranking or seeding, since often is at the discretion of the organizers, who are often influenced by coaching staff.
    - if you are deemed to be an unfriendly (ie non-supporter of club staff), you will be identified to a small group that has many eyes, often located in a small table in the bar, and if you are in breach of even the smallest rule, be immediately reprimanded. Sometimes they go as far as letters to you, but sometimes the letters are circulated at the directors levels about the member. In some cases, you may not even know a letter has been circulated about you, unless there is further action taken. You might be surprised at some of the members who have been targeted in the past.
    - worse case, you are kicked out of the club. this takes time and money, but it seems to be a trump card that the head coach has used in the past. (ie. either this member is removed or "I QUIT")...
    - you may get hassled on court, or your guests are hassled (provided they are properly invited/fees paid, etc) by some of inner circle.
    - at one time in the past, it has even gotten to the point where your shuttles are checked for being original! if they are not legitimate shuttles or were imported illegally, you may be put on notice or threatened with legal action.
    Been there, done that...I only lasted one or two years at the club years ago. My brothers and I were members and we were using Victor shuttles from asia (brought in ourselves and used by ourselves). Were told by the head coach that he is the official distributor for Victor and that we are not allowed to use those shuttles. We challenged him saying that the shuttles were for our own consumption and that we weren't re-selling so we weren't doing anything wrong. Well, he backed off and we thought that was the end of it but instead everytime we showed up at the club to play, we got hassled to show our membership, etc. Finally, it became too tiresome plus we weren't using the club as often as we thought so didn't think it was worth the hassle and $$. This was back when the club fees were around $365/yr.

To tell you the truth, the club has gotten better as is evident from the various BF-gatherings. Would I joined again, probably not but mainly because of time committment.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Is this restriction on using even potentially "shady" shuttles written in the agreement that you sign when you became a member? The argument that he was the distributor of Victor, and that he thinks you may be using fake shuttles still doesn't mean he has any right to tell you to stop. That is just a red herring.

There are more powerful political powers working under the surface here obviously, but unless something was there in the original agreement, there isn't much they should be allowed to do to stop you from using any type of shuttle. Any comments from members?
    Last edited by 604badder; 11-20-2004 at 02:59 PM.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default it is the little things that add up...

that seems to be the best method they employ, and very indirect, but effective over time.
    + the concerted tag check - targeted towards specific members. (remember, you are not invisible - someone/somewhere knows or sees you).
    + members being time-clocked for infractions (ie. the second after the time period is over - jr priority to sr priority, some one will jump behind your court and tell you that you are not supposed to be on the court anymore).
    + shuttle checks - which is so absolutely bogus. since members are not required to use a specific shuttle, or that the club does not supply shuttles (ie some private clubs do have that policy) there is no right to inspect anyone's personal shuttle. in fact, doing so he can be found to be infringing on privacy issues, and it would be grounds for dismissal of the employee, a harrassment case.
    one point to note - the head coach is just another employee. he is NOT the club. the collective members are the employer. most members don't realize that.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

that seems to be the best method they employ, and very indirect, but effective over time.
    + the concerted tag check - targeted towards specific members. (remember, you are not invisible - someone/somewhere knows or sees you).
    + members being time-clocked for infractions (ie. the second after the time period is over - jr priority to sr priority, some one will jump behind your court and tell you that you are not supposed to be on the court anymore).
    + shuttle checks - which is so absolutely bogus. since members are not required to use a specific shuttle, or that the club does not supply shuttles (ie some private clubs do have that policy) there is no right to inspect anyone's personal shuttle. in fact, doing so he can be found to be infringing on privacy issues, and it would be grounds for dismissal of the employee, a harrassment case.
    one point to note - the head coach is just another employee. he is NOT the club. the collective members are the employer. most members don't realize that.
    Totally so...
    It's good that both you and Timeless got elected to the Board. Remember that the VRC is actually a non-profit organization and thus, its board of directors are elected from the general membership. The coaches are employees and yeah, like any organizations, there are politics and it's a question of whether you want to go through the trouble and hassle of fighting the system. I didn't deemed it worth the hassle and time because of the fact that I wasn't utilizing the club that much plus I felt that I had better things to do.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

counterfeit shuttles are another problem altogether. just as there would be no reason for someone from Yonex to stop you in the middle of playing to inspect your racquet for being a knock off, there is the same lack of reason for someone to inspect your shuttles. given that you are using these personally, it is buyer beware.

but, i do agree that someone bringing in counterfeit shuttles falsely labeled for resale would be breaking the law, and copyrights/patents and other rights of distributors must be taken care of. if not, we have a wider economic and legal issue.

but that does not immediately give a right for anyone to inspect personal property. to examine, unless you give permission, or there is a legal warrant for searching, there would be no legitimate reason at all.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Don't worry. The correct attitude is to feel sorry for that guy. Never see someone with such a bitter life and get to pick on everyone who comes across his path.

Quote Originally Posted by cappy75
    Ugh! I think I have already got into an entanglement with one of the sentinels up in the windows. Small matter but evidently he didn't take too well when I got the management 'involved' in our little dispute. I have been warned about him before, so I felt bad about it.

I certainly hope that my name will never be circulated in the letters to the directors... I love this club so much! Badrad, please let me know if I ever inadvertently get into 'trouble' with the wrong crowd at the club. Already I felt some of the folks up in the viewing windows were watching me as I practice *shivers*.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I've only been a member of the club for about 2 years now, and previously have also heard many "unpleasant" things about the club, but it doesn't seem nearly as bad right now. I have witnessed a number of unpleasantries in the 2 years I've been a member, however, I've also witnessed as many unpleasantries at community centres as well. So in my opinion, you'll find nut cases, trouble makers, and a$$holes every where. At the club you'll run into "club based" problems and in community centres you'll find problems based on that environment. I guess it depends which ever you feel most comfortable with. There is certainly no shortage of problems where ever you go, no place is exempt no matter what anyone may say.

Personally, whether it be at a club or community centre, there are usually always more nice people than the bad seeds. It's my belief that it is the responsiblity of nice majority to stand up for their stomping grounds, and keep the a$$holes at bay. You won't be able to stomp them out completely, as unfortunately, they do have as much right to be there as any one, but you can keep it down to a minimum. Don't let these people push others around or they will just grow worse. Stand up for yourselves, your friends, and the people around you. If you're not going to do anything about it, then why bother complaining about it.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Winex West Can
    Been there, done that...I only lasted one or two years at the club years ago. My brothers and I were members and we were using Victor shuttles from asia (brought in ourselves and used by ourselves). Were told by the head coach that he is the official distributor for Victor and that we are not allowed to use those shuttles.. .... .
    Hahahaaa....WWC you still remember the incident! yeah, to put it very mildly, the so call "Head Coach" personality is to be desired. Everytime I come across an write-up on him. I just keep a puke bucket nearby.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by timeless
    I've only been a member of the club for about 2 years now, and previously have also heard many "unpleasant" things about the club, but it doesn't seem nearly as bad right now. I have witnessed a number of unpleasantries in the 2 years I've been a member, however, I've also witnessed as many unpleasantries at community centres as well. So in my opinion, you'll find nut cases, trouble makers, and a$$holes every where. ..
    Couldn't agree with you more, timeless!

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast