Compare Victor, Yonex and RSL shuttles

Discussion in 'Shuttlecock' started by JRMTL, Jul 12, 2004.

1. JRMTL

JRMTL Regular Member

Math teacher and coach at Univesity of Montreal
    Compare specific Victor, Yonex and RSL shuttles

Hi,

I need to do a choice for the next year for our club.

I need to choose between: Yonex AS20, RSL D.T.L. Master and Victor Tourney (silver).

With tax included, 1 tube costs for each (in CAN $):

Yonex AS20: 20$
    RSL DTL Master: 18.5$
    Victor Tourney (silver): 18.5$

I will do a test by myself with sample birds of each, but I want to have some cues from your experience: which is better for

a) flight
    b) durability

Thank you.

JRMTL

#1 JRMTL, Jul 12, 2004
    Last edited: Jul 12, 2004
  2. LazyBuddy

LazyBuddy Regular Member

Engineer
    With my own experience, AS20 is not very durable. I tried Victor Tourny once or twice in local club, not too bad for its price. ;)

3. Shangwuo

Shangwuo New Member

I am surprised that you know DTL Master, its rare ourside China. As I know, the DTL is the second brand of RSL, more money worth. Master seems the top bird of that series. I tried one tube of Master, one bird for a game.........its flight, spin, and trajectory are similar to RSL silver feather, but still need half a step to match. Durable, the same, consistent, good.
    Silver feather is my favorite, I use them a lot. performance as good as Yonex 30 and last longer. perfect feeling when we play in the game.
    Victor silver...... can't say anything for never use.

4. JRMTL

JRMTL Regular Member

For the Victor brand, I made a mistake. I got the Victor Tourney for 18,50$ (the blue one) and not the Victor Silver (cheapest one) for 13,50$.

JRMTL

5. cappy75

cappy75 Regular Member

Depot Support Representative
    Despite the price attraction, avoid Victor Silver like the plague! I used to play a community drop-in where Victor Silver was provided and a good game would use up to 4 shuttles:eek:! It's pure crap, even for a training shuttle:mad:. Victor Blue is borderline quality: durability is ok ( the average being one per game), flight is good. I think Yonex AS-20 is equivalent to Victor Green (or Champion) in terms of durability and flight consistency. Their prices are also similar.

OT: The best and most durable shuttle I have used so far in my limited experience is the hard-to-find Yonex AS-30. It lasted two games of quality rallies:cool:!

6. JRMTL

JRMTL Regular Member

Yeah, we used Victor Tourney (blue) last year. And you are right about its durability (1 bird per set).

So you believe that AS-20 = Victor Champion? Good to know that. I never tried Victor Champion.

Tks for the tip about AS-30, but our club can't afford that :( . I expect to choose around 20-22 players and we have a budget of 10000$ for the birds. So, 500$ per player -> 25 dozen / player for the year is ok. But, if we have an increase $$ from the university (like for the 2005-06 year), I might be willing to check for AS-30 if you say it is a great bird for the overall quality.

Thank you!

JRMTL

7. JRMTL

JRMTL Regular Member

Haha! Good to know that RSL DTL Master will be available in Canada. For now, RSL is totally absent of the market in Canada. I didn't know about it until 2 weeks ago when the sales representative wanted to meet me to present their birds. So, we'll have a meeting in August to see whether it would be a good choice.

Thank you for your cue!

JRMTL

8. cappy75

cappy75 Regular Member

Hey JRMTL,

Yes, please let us know how those birdies turn out. I was wondering how much could be save if one use good quality/durability but expensive birdies over the year comparing to average quality/durability but cheaper birdies for the same length of time.

If you could find AS-30, perhaps you could get one tube and compare usage with your choice of shuttles for one week. You might save more money in the long run with better quality shuttles though.

As for the community drop-in, I tried to get the lady in charge to upgrade. Sadly, she said it's out of her hand because management get a good pricing for those Victor Silver even though they're going through those like rolls of toilet paper:(. Oh well.

9. ants

ants Regular Member

Entrepreneur , Modern Nomad
    For the shuttles i would prefer rsl rather than yonex as20. for the price rsl shuttles are much better in durability and consistence.

10. JRMTL

JRMTL Regular Member

Sure. However, the players will test birds that are supposed to be in the same range quality and price:

-Victor tourney (blue)
    -RSL DTL Master
    -Yonex AS-20

In August, we will do the tests. As soon as I get the results, I will give the feedbacks here.

If I can find some, I will for sure! And give you the feedbacks.

Yeah. I never look at birds quality until like 2 weeks ago when I received the email of the RSP representative in Canada. And then found that they were lots of range quality and price. I admit that I was unaware of those at all!!!!
    So, I began to do some web surfing to find out what are the best deals.

JRMTL

11. JRMTL

JRMTL Regular Member

Thank you for your cue!

JRMTL

12. carlol

carlol Regular Member

entreprenuer
    my bang for the buck vote would go to rsl too, especially the midrange priced rsl silver feather. :)

13. JRMTL

JRMTL Regular Member

Update

For now, I have tried:

RSL Tourney #1 (for 20$ CDN Yay!)
    Victor Tourney Blue
    Yonex AS-20

The flight and "touch" of the RSL is far better than the 2 others.

So, I guess I will use the RSL this year if the supplier can feed me fastly.

JRMTL

14. cappy75

cappy75 Regular Member

Hey JRMTL,

Could you ask your supplier if RSL has presence in Western Canada too? I have only seen mostly Victor and Yonex brand sold in stores:(.