So how good is a ONE DOLLAR racquet?

Discussion in 'Badminton Rackets / Equipment' started by bigredlemon, Jul 13, 2004.

1. bigredlemon

bigredlemon Regular Member

One CANADIAN dollars mind you -- that's 75 cents US!. Not bad I have to say. The local dollar store is selling a steel racquet. Since it's so cheap, they used very little steel and so it's very light. I'd put it around 80-85 grams!

It has an external T joint. The paint looks very good for a one dollar racquet. It can be easily mistaken for a racquet that costs ten times as much! :p
    Unfortunately, they really skimmed on the strings. It looks like fish line... and most likely, not even as good. Tension is about 5-10lb. Which is a good thing because the strings are really weak. Someone I know has that racquet and managed to brake the strings after a single hour of play. The steel isn't that strong either. It probably bends a little after every smash.

But on the plus side... it's a great racquet to use when you're playing doubles with an insane player. Its weight resembles a normal racquet so you won't have to worry about breaking your wrists and hurting your forearms. It produces "decent" power considering what it costs. Btw, the frame is full sized as compared to a regular length racquet. It's not a cheap toy racquet.

So in conclusion: if you're looking for a beater, look no further than your dollar store!

2. wilfredlgf

wilfredlgf Regular Member

Security Engineer
    There's a saying here that goes:

"Cheap things not good; good things not cheap". :)

Not always applicable but correct some 99% of the time.

3. bigredlemon

no one is claiming they are better better than main racquets ;)

4. prophet

prophet Regular Member

teacher
    How about some pictures? Is it possible to re-string?

5. bluejeff

bluejeff Regular Member

Developer
    I think the strings will cost more than a dollar :p :D
    (Not worth to restring it, if you break the strings, you can just go ahead and get another one)

6. jug8man

jug8man Regular Member

MultiTasked guy, Stress Addict, Leisure Bum, mad c

yes. and if you do insist to restring it, bear in mind that you'll most prob wont get to string it at a more desireble tension w/o totally warping it.

besides stringing aluminium racquets is risky. you might waste a totally good/new string and get it snaped while its still on the machine.

it just aint worth it.

7. fishmilk

fishmilk Regular Member

Student
    dude...i think i know what you're talking about... i had little cousins who had a mom with no brain, she told me she's going to send them off to badminton lessons, and i was pretty excited, and i asked what they were using, she told me she got racquets from the dollar store, i was going to cry... she did not have a big budget and she had 2 kids, so we went to walmart and grabbed 2 carlton ones for 20 dollars, it's interesting how their cheapest models are STILL called airblade, who are they trynna fool? anyway, my cousins are pretty lucky, because I went to their house one day and saw an ok racquet sitting around with yellow string, it actually looked pretty sexy. obviously that was not the matter when i played. first of all, the T-joint was very loose, the racquet wiggles around when you smash or clear. also, the worse was, since the string tension was so loose, sometimes the birdie would come, and i would SMASH the heck out of it, and see no birdie flying away, then i realize the birdie was stuck in my string...if you have 10 bucks you to spare, get a wilson attacker at wal-mart, this thing will drive you up a wall

8. TheGr8Two

TheGr8Two Regular Member

Have you ever tried Yonex's Carbonex/Isometric rackets that costs ~$40? Or Black Knight's Carbo-knight?

So what if these are cheaper than the $180 Cab 30 MS..they are excellent rackets. They are light, powerful, and perfect for those who are serious in the game without spending a ridiculous amount. The only catch is that the factory strings may be loose, and you might want to spend $20 to restring it a decent tension.

Things can be cheap..depending on how much money you make ;) And of course...wait for a sale..but bear in mind the cost of waiting :)

9. LazyBuddy

LazyBuddy Regular Member

Engineer
    A friend claimed that he used such rackets when he 1st started to play. He managed to break 3 racket strings in 1 session (2-3 hrs). :D

10. LazyBuddy

LazyBuddy Regular Member

Engineer
    I think they mean "really too cheap to have proper usage", but not reasonable lower end models.

11. bigredlemon

i think they're pretty much "disposable" racquets... :p

i'd never thought they'd make disposable racquets :eek:

12. bigredlemon

its not aluminum... it's steel! it probably wont even stand 22lb!

13. forrestyung

forrestyung Regular Member

Salesman
    This kind of racket is quite common in Hong Kong and I had a pair of them in my 6 years old.

The racket is made by scrap iron, mainly sprayed single colour in black, red or blue. String is fish line, tension should be lower than 12lbs.

Besides a pair of low-fi rackets, there should be a plastic shuttlecork (pink head and white body) within the package. :)

#13 forrestyung, Jul 14, 2004
    Last edited: Jul 14, 2004
  14. forrestyung

Salesman
    I got a brand new Carlton As-1 at US$24 in last two week. :D

15. bigredlemon

sweeet. share the wealth will ya! :p

16. fishmilk

fishmilk Regular Member

Student
    i just purchased a SPORTCRAFT 2 GAME SET, it includes a net, poles, volleyball, ball pump + needle, markers, birdies and 4 racquets. The price? 15 dollars CANADIAN! wow! anyway these racquets seem even worse than the dollar store racquets. Why? Well basically beacuse, the handle, is PURE PLASTIC! that's right! not wood + cheap synthetic grip, PURE PLASTIC!

17. wilfredlgf

wilfredlgf Regular Member

Security Engineer
    You're that lucky 1%, haha.

18. charzord

charzord Regular Member

Student
    chinese dollar store: $1 for two rackets :p actually, i doubt you can actually use them. The fram is thin as heck, prolly around 5 lbs string tension. and NO GROMMETS AT ALL!! Haha, that's right, its just pure string on a metal tube with holes poked in it :D

19. forrestyung

Salesman
    He He! :D

Hong Kong always has a price cut when racket sold for 3-4 years. As-1 is an extremely case and I can be the 1% lucky person.

20. tomoshi

tomoshi New Member

hehe...in a canadian dollar store, i've seen 2 badminton racket and a pink birdie for a dollar! tat means the racket is less than 50cent cdn:D