XIA XuanZe lose the ticket to Athens!

Discussion in 'Olympics ATHENS 2004' started by SmartCivet, Jul 13, 2004.

1. SmartCivet

SmartCivet Regular Member

SOFTWARE ENGINEER
    China has announced the badminton players list to Athens.The world Championship XIA XuanZe is the reject at the end time.
    The MS players is LIN Dan, CHEN Hong, BAO ChunLai. The WS players is GONG RuiNa, ZHANG Ning, ZHOU Mi.

2. Han

Han Regular Member

Engineer
    Conservative choice

I think coach Li Yongbo just trying to be conservative and picked according to the ranking to attend Olympic. Imagine if Xia, who is ranked lower than Chen Hong, were chosen and lost in the early round ... Even coach Li can't handle that heat!!!
    The happiest player have to be Wong Choon Hann who had lost the last 8 meets against Xia.

3. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    confirmed to be true. quite disappointing as a Xia's fan. but that's just life. Xia has already entered Olympics in Sydney. this time its Chen's turn. to be honest, it is 50/50 who goes. it was clear that Lin and Bao are going as they are the young ones who needs the exposure for Beijing 2008.

looking forward to more reports on more detailed explanation.

kinda scary though, as both Bao and Chen are not the most reliable while Xia is. maybe the coaches are so confident on Lin that it doesn't matter who is number 2 and 3?

4. jump_smash

jump_smash Regular Member

IT
    dejavu

Funny, but didn't that happen to some extend with the Golden Bear (Sun Jun) at Syndey 2000?

#4 jump_smash, Jul 13, 2004
    Last edited: Jul 13, 2004
  5. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    not sure what the ranking will be like in the beginning of august. but right now, China has the 1,2,3,5 spots. so however they pick the players, the 3 chinese players are guaranteed 3 out of 4 top seeds. so it won't make much of a difference. however, the ranking in early august may change as Xia loses some WC points, but then, so will Wong who is 4th in the ranking.

6. jug8man

jug8man Regular Member

MultiTasked guy, Stress Addict, Leisure Bum, mad c
    sorry for xia but........

yes yes yes Chen Hong!

:D

7. hcyong

hcyong Regular Member

Software Engineer
    I thought the seeding is based on rankings at the end of May.

8. viver

viver Regular Member

Not sure is the selection is based on presumed opponents - if we assume the biggest contenders, besides the Chinese, would be Taufik, Peter Gade, Wong Choong Hon, the Korean player - these 3 players make sense. Too bad for Xia as he should deserve a spot here.

9. liverpool

liverpool Regular Member

Bao Chun Lai ought to be drop............He looks shaky if the opponent fight him point for point. Same goes for Chen Hong. However, as a Malaysian China minus Xia looks good for Choon Han.

Its up to Lin Dan. I cant see him winning it!!! Every opponent will give him a tough outing. Probably run out of ideas, by the quarter final.

Every players wants the gold. We will probably see a lot of good matches and Ronald Susilo of Singapore ended up being champion!!! Hei, the previous three winner are not really that fantastic, right?

10. DanielLou

DanielLou Regular Member

Student
    What a shame!

As a chinese badminton fan I must say I can't be any more dissapointed about Li's decision. In a poll on SINA.com, Xia has won 3 times more votes than Chen. Except the fellow townsmen in Fu Jian, no one likes Chen, the Mr. Dissapointment. I have long given up on Chen. Since he lost to Lee HI in Sudiman cup I have not watched a single game of him. (The other game I refused to watch is the Chinese men's soccer team).

It is a shame for the Olympics to refuse a passionate fighter like Xia.

11. abedeng

abedeng Regular Member

Occupying Tall Buildings
    Maybe Li Yongbo was looking at consistent records. Xuanze's record is either he goes all the way (like in WC 03) or he loses in early rounds (All-England 04). I believe Chen Hong is better than him on average per tournament. Then again, Chen never nailed the big one (except All-England 02).

Lin Dan could be depended so long as he recovers from the recent M'sian Open episode. Not sure about Bao Chunlai. As another forummer said, if he gets a big fight, Bao might not last. The only time he was successful was against Jonassen in TC 04 final. But I still remember his failure in TC 02 (against Hafiz Hashim on home soil) and Lee CW in 2 straight editions of M'sian Open.

12. Enrica

Enrica Regular Member

Inventory Planner
    Lin, Bao and Chan Hong are in..Xia is out for Olympic !!!!

Lee announced the 3 men single player for olympic. Lin Dan, Bao Chun Lai and Chan Hong got selected . Poor Xia .........:( Hope they will all do fine !!!!!! i was surpirsed as I was thinking Xia will get in rather than Chan Hong.....!!!!!

13. Wizbit

Wizbit Regular Member

Testing ladie's lingerie
    Sure it will be sad for Xia not to have another chance in the olympics, but taking into account of his performance in the last 12 months, he has only reached the first or second round in a majority of tournaments after his great WC win in July last year. His style of game with no major weapons means that a lot of his games go to 3 sets, which will be hard unless you are 100% fit. Hope he can defend his WC title...We support you! :p

Chen Hong's style has carried him consistently to quarters and semis, however boring it is to some...:eek:

If Lin Dan loses early on, the pressure will be on Chen H and Bao...Bao already seems to be Li YongBo's favourite out of the two...how long will he remain so? :eek:

14. jamesd20

jamesd20 Moderator

Construction
    But the olympics isnt about being able to reach the quarter finals and being consistent, it is about winning! (whatever people say, that is everyones aim) Chen hong isnt really a winner, but a top quality player. He always fails to make that extra notch.Xia is a champion. I am disapointed, but there are many reasons why:

-Chen will only have this chance
    -More chance for Gao ling(XD/WD) if relationship is stable/chen is with her
    -Lin/Bao must be in because the next olympics is in Beijing, and anything other than gold there will be disastrous, so they need olympic experience
    -Lin has been the undisputed best player for past 9months.
    -Bao pulled off THE best performance of his career coming back from a set and 10-4 down (in final set) to Jonassen, a known fighter. the olympics is all about pressure, and to lose that game would have put the danish team with best chance of winning, but he did it.

However Xia was a champion player and id disapointing not to see him performing, seeing him in WC03 was a delight, and something I will never forget.

15. ants

ants Regular Member

Entrepreneur , Modern Nomad
    Too bad to hear that Xia is out of action in 04's Olympics. I think China is a little shaky when comes to Mens Badminton in Olympics.

16. Hugo

Hugo Regular Member

Electrical Engineer
    Very sad news for Xia. Congrats to Lin, Bao, and Chen on opportunity to rep China at Athens.

Don't worry Xia. We're still all proud of you for winning bronze at Sydney and for being reigning WORLD CHAMPION! Keep training hard!

Go China.

17. manabu

manabu Regular Member

Dr
    Im totally disappointed to Li's decision... Xia should have chosen instead of Chen and even Bao! Chen really plays boring badminton in my opinion.. Lin's game must've been studied by countries like malaysia, denmark numerous times already n probably have no chance surviving... so, my point is that everybody in china's men team should hold equal chance so just simply let the fellow chinese people (even the greats like Yang yang) be the judge. Xia do carries good records against non-chinese opponents and should not be missed... :mad:

18. chinadoll

chinadoll Regular Member

isn't it supposed to be 1, 2, 4, 5??? :confused:

19. chinadoll

chinadoll Regular Member

Whyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy?????????

no matter how i see i dont see why Xuanze was not selected........

[​IMG] Xuanze won bronze medal in 2000 Olympics,
    [​IMG] he's the World Champion,
    [​IMG] he has better records when playing against top players from other countries
    [​IMG] he's one of the most experienced player in the team
    [​IMG] he's one of the toughest player in terms of mentality n skills

Lin Dan and Bao Chunlai are new, they still have chances for 2008 Olympics.... but of cos by Lin Dan's recent results for the past 6 mths, winning 5 tournaments almost consecutively, playing the 1st singles in Thomas Cup and win all matches in 2 straight games...... with him in his peak form, his winning chances of attaining gold in Olympics is very high...... no matter what.... he should be chosen

as for Bao Chunlai n Chen Hong.......
    hmmm.... Chen Hong as world no. 2, is more experienced but his winning percentage against top players are not as high

Bao Chunlai is still new and not as experienced..... though he managed to win Thomas Cup for China.... but i think his mentality is not strong enough to handle the pressure in major tournaments yet... and he is still young to even wait for 2008 Olympics

Xuanze and Chen Hong might be retiring anytime this 2 yrs.... this may be their last Olympics........ arghhhhh.... why isn't Xuanze selected :(

I'M SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO DISAPPOINTED AND SHOCKED!!!!!!!!!!

20. SmashingBird

SmashingBird Regular Member

Student, Badminton-student
    RICHMOND BC...ne hot girls from richmond that play
    The way China produces and split out players is incridible, I wouldn't be surprise that by 2008, neither Lin Dan nor Bao ChunLai will even be around, like someone else stated, China produce high quality players at quantity but they do not last long.