My experience in LIBA Workshops

Discussion in 'UK' started by sunny, Jul 14, 2004.

1. sunny

sunny New Member

Senior Sys Developer
    It was Fantastic!!

It was very good 4 days of coaching. I originally booked for three days but I extended it another day. It was hard training, good fun, great motivation and most important of all I had a great time.

Lee covered basic grips, posture, footwork, singles tactics, doubles tactics, deceptions, drops, clears, smash, net play, attack, defence etc. He covered so many aspects of the game and he also let us practise everything he thought.

The guy (lee) is really great and so nice to get along. He nicely mixed severe physical training and fun so you really don’t get bored. It’s like mixing a bitter medicine with honey. You will taste the bitter but at the same time you will also taste the sweetness of the honey. I had the chance to taste both but I only remember tasting honey now. It was that good :)

The special coach for the workshop was Miss Lee Young Suk. She is brilliant. She keeps a smiling face and encourages us to work hard. After theory session everyone has practise session with her and during the practise sessions she watches you like a hawk and immediately stops you and points out the mistake you make. Lee concentrates on getting things right and she concentrates on pushing us to our limits or even further and at the same time checks whether we get things right. After every practise session she compliments us “Well done†with a great smile and cheerful clap. You just feel like you want to practise more. It is so encouraging.

Physical fitness is something I really lack and having Asthma doesn't help either. Everybody in the camp saw me puffing and breathing heavily and I was the last person in jogging and running sessions. It was very embarrassing for me but I still kept going because I know where my weakness is and I was there to learn and improve.

We had mini tournaments on Monday and Tuesday. I and my partner (Richard) won the doubles tournament won a T-Shirt on Monday and Jonno and Richard won the tournament on Tuesday and won a T-Shirt.

Jonno is also badmintonforum.com member and he is very good. His footwork was very smooth and very good defence. His high serves were perfect. The shuttle does a perfect vertical fall on his high serve. It was a pleasure to meet members of badmintonforum.com

I also met Tomsk and Batgirl. Unfortunately Tomsk had a cramp and had to sit out but his footwork and lounge to the net was amazing. I wish I had that much forecourt lounge.

Batgirl along with Young Suk beat me and my partner (Richard) in a mini doubles tournament on Sunday. During one of the rallies I thought I hit a powerful smash but batgirl cleanly blocked the shuttle over the net and I just stood there and watched the shuttle and couldn’t do anything. It was good game and great fun.

I’m really glad I met skates here in badmintonforum.com. What a great guy. When we were injured he checked on us to see whether we were ok and provided us with some muscle pain relief oils. Thanks for your effort, help and encouragement Steve (Skates).

I would strongly recommend LIBA workshops. I'm so lazy and use to give up so easily but on the day with the encouragement from lee, steve (skates) and young suk I managed to hold on and completed four days. I arrived home last night at 2 A.M and when I woke up this morning I had pain in my legs, calf muscle, thigh, shoulders, biceps and pain, pain, pain everywhere and when I stood up I yelled in pain “oh Jesus†but after few minutes I was thinking "what physically exercise shall I do today?" I totally forgot about the pain and I'm so used to it. I think after four days of such intensive training you simply get use to it.

All in all it was fantastic. I rediscovered myself and feel really good.

2. JRMTL

JRMTL Regular Member

Math teacher and coach at Univesity of Montreal
    Wow! Seems you had a lot of fun. I would so hope that we could have something similar here. But we have to go overseas to attend these kind of clinics. So, $$$$$$$ (and we are in CAN $... oh well).

Do you have any good advice that you didn't know at all and would be cool to share with us?

Good job!

JRMTL

3. wood_22_chuck

wood_22_chuck Regular Member

Electronics Technologist
    Excellent review! I enjoyed reading it :D

-dave

4. skates

skates Regular Member

Designer. Also working with Lee Jae Bok promoting
    Don't despair. I have been approached by a young man in Canada who has asked about the possibility of Lee Jae Bok and the LIBA Academy doing a tour of Canada next year. It would be great to hear from any of you Canadian guys and girls to see what level of interest there might be.

Skates

#4 skates, Jul 14, 2004
    Last edited: Jul 14, 2004
  5. Dill

Dill Regular Member

Lazy git (my coach can verify this)
    Good to hear, I still have 2 days of it to look forward to in August :D

6. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    sunny, that's a excellent report! i enjoyed reading it and it was great for you to share your excitement and enthusiasm. i think as badminton players we would all like to have such an excellent workshop in our area.

how many ppl were there? how many BF'ers? sounds like a lot of BF'ers are there.

7. skates

skates Regular Member

Hi Sunny

You got home at 2.00 Am :eek: Boy that was a long journey.

Excellent review my friend. LIBA should give you a job as their PR man :)
    I know how much you enjoyed the course. You will enjoy it more as your fitness improves.

As you know we are trying to arrange a weekend course to be held in a few weeks time in Cambridge. Also we have courses coming up in Wigan, High Wycombe and in Scotland. (Send a PM to Dill on this forum for info on the weekend course in Glasgow.)

Also, as we discussed, Lee Jae Bok is keen to take the Academy to tour other counties. We have had some interest from Canada already. There will be some information appearing on the LIBAUK website about this.

I have some photos from the four days courses which I plan to put onto the LIBA website during the next day or so.

see you soon

Skates

#7 skates, Jul 15, 2004
    Last edited: Jul 15, 2004
  8. sunny

sunny New Member

Senior Sys Developer
    I don't remember exact numbers but I can tell appx numbers. On Saturday a total of 12 (4 BF'ers - Myself, Skates, Tomsk, Batgirl and Two Non-Members who occassionally visit BF). On Sunday a total of 15 (3 BF'ers Myself, Skates and Batgirl). On Monday a total of 9 (3 BF'ers Myself, Skates and Jonno) and on Tuesday a total of 6 (3 BF'ers Myself, Skates and Jonno).

Few other BF'ers couldn't make it. I was expecting Matt Ross on Sunday but he didn't make it. don't know why!

I enjoyed it most on monday and tuesday because of low turnout and we had plenty of time with lee learning new techniques and correcting our stroke play.

9. sunny

sunny New Member

Senior Sys Developer
    I learned lots of new things which I wasn't aware before I attended the training. Most important one was: Deception. He teached different deception techniques like deception on the net, over head deception, routine deception. Routine deception is a technique where you play a rally with you opponent and you play clear shot to his deep forehand then dropshop to forehand and continue this for 4 or 5 rallies and then suddenly change and play a clear to his backhand. Durning those rallies your opponent will be so used to moving to the forehand net and rear and sudden change of direction would caught him offguard. That is routine deception. He also thought us posture and getting into position for overhead backhand clear, footwork and even grip. I thought my grip was perfect because I was so comfortable with my shots but when he said my grip was wrong I didn't believe it. I thought that can't be right but when he changed my grip and asked me to try my clear and smashes I felt the difference immediately. I was trying to adopt my new grip but couldn't and I think I need to practise more on my grip.

10. sunny

sunny New Member

Senior Sys Developer
    Yes it was a very long journey skates. I got my last train on time but It was delayed in the middle for well over 40 mins otherwise I would have been home by 1.00 Am.

Fitness is something I really need to work more. Last night I was watching lee's video and in the video Simon Archer's comments were "When you get onto the court with lee you should know it is going to be very hard physical training".

I will surely attend the High Wycombe weekend as the following monday is a bank holiday. I'm not sure whether I will attend cambridge one or scotland one. Still thinking about it.

Could you also post some photos on badmintonforum.com? Could you also post pictures of young sook lee?

Guys Young sook lee is one of the best players this sport has produced. During the late 80's and early 90's she was one of the top WS player. I’ve asked her to visit Badmintonforum.com and give us advice on techniques, tips and tricks. Hope she gets time to hang around here.

11. skates

skates Regular Member

Hi Ya

There is now a review of the recent Badminton workshops on the LIBAUK website: http://www.libauk.com/revue2.htm

Please excuse the poor picture quality. I really should have been training, not taking pictures :)

Skates

12. sunny

sunny New Member

Senior Sys Developer
    Plus there was a review about the workshop in the local newspaper. Please see the attached image below. Maybe next time I will take my digi cam and capture all actions as small .wmv file and post it in badmintonforum.com website.

Attached Files:

13. Tomsk

Tomsk Regular Member

Nice write-up in LIBA.

BTW do you mean training badminton or training taking pictures? :p

14. skates

skates Regular Member

Well I guess it's a close run thing between my poor picture taking and my poor badminton :rolleyes: As a course organiser and general LIBA "helping hand" I have to try to sneak in as much badminton training as I can. God knows I need it.:)

Don't think I'll make it up to Wigan, but I hope to be involved in a few more courses before LJB goes back to Korea in September. Hopefully by then my photography as well as my badminton will have improved. :p

15. Dill

Dill Regular Member

Lazy git (my coach can verify this)
    Make sure you bring your camera to Glasgow!!!

16. JRMTL

JRMTL Regular Member

Thank for you the tip about routine deception! I never thought about it and it seems really logical. That would be the kind of tricks I would like to learn with a player of that level and as a coach that I would be able to learn them if they are ready (technically and tactically).

JRMTL

17. JRMTL

JRMTL Regular Member

Good review Skates! Don't forget to tell him about Canada!

JRMTL

18. Jonno

Jonno Regular Member

Excellent article sunny! It was enjoyable to read, shame I couldn't make it to the other days as I learnt so much from just the 10 hours that I had. I'll probably see you again at High Wycombe.

As Lee correctly pointed out however, low numbers means extra fitness work! I was absolutely finished after the second day, especially that explosive 20-shot routine at the end!

Good to see the sport getting coverage in the local newspaper as well. I also spot a strong, muscular right arm protruding into the picture on the extreme right. Notice how the grip is correctly in 'backhand' position. I wonder whose arm it is....

19. viver

viver Regular Member

Thanks for the great article on your training. Do you know if Miss Lee Young Suk is the player who played against Susi Susanti in a Sudirman Cup (1987??) and lost in 3 sets?

20. Matt Ross

Matt Ross Regular Member

Student
    Sorry Guys, i was hoping to make it too. However, due to unforseen family reasons for my gf, i had to stay with her. I'm hoping to make the High Wycombe one, if anyone near me fancies giving me a lift :D