wrapping grip from top to bottom?

Discussion in 'Grip' started by zerochillnet, Jul 16, 2004.

1. zerochillnet

zerochillnet Regular Member

my bro always wraps his grips from the top of the racquet to the bottom. he says it 'feels' better. i was wondering if anybody else does this as well...

2. LazyBuddy

LazyBuddy Regular Member

Engineer
    I am not too sure about this.

To me, when we swing the racket, hand tend to move toward the bottom. Therefore, the upper (closer to cone) should be on top of the lower (closer to butt cap) pieces. This way, skin move from higher layer of grip to lower lvl, should be smooth.

If as ur bro did, it's the other way around. Once hand move to the bottom, the overlap edges will be "cut" to hand skin, which provide extra resistence. Not sure if that's a good way to start with or not. :confused:

3. Woven

Woven Regular Member

beggar
    is he left handed??? my friend is a lefty and thats exactly what he did

4. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    if he wrap from cone to butt cap, the tape will interfere with the hand. a lot of hand movement goes around the butt cap area and unless he have some superduper tape, it will be messed up.

5. bluejeff

bluejeff Regular Member

Developer
    I have seen lots of people doing that (top to bottom style) in my school gym, and all of them think it is such as great idea which I don't understand why.

They think it's great because it's easy to grip, but the truth is, it will be messy after a 3-hour badminton session. The grip will become sticky(because of the tape) and moving around!! Just a waste of a good grip! :(

6. zerochillnet

zerochillnet Regular Member

nah he's right handed. i duno he never has a problem with it though, but it does feel uncomfortable for me as the grip thingy is facing the other way

7. taneepak

taneepak Regular Member

Designing and producing quality feather shuttlecoc
    There are only two ways to wrap a grip : its either from the cone or from the butt. The "from the cone end" is often used by players who got it wrong, and its use is more of a statistical incidence. If you wrap it from the cone towards the butt end, you will not be able to have a butt with a larger circumference than the handle, which is necessary to prevent the racquet from slipping through your hand. Also, the finishing non-friction tape is just too slippery to have any business to be at the butt end : its like skidding on a banana peel. :)

8. iacon

iacon Regular Member

hehe, I do that too :) I'm using towelgrip, so when I do the bottom-top style, the grip folds at the bottom. When I do the top-bottom, it folds in the top so I don't notice it and it feels much more smooth :D

9. taneepak

taneepak Regular Member

Designing and producing quality feather shuttlecoc
    What you want from a grip is lots of friction, not something smooth. A towel grip has tons of friction but perspiration makes it a nuisance of having to replace it frequently. A replacement grip usually has more friction than an overgrip.

10. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    :) very well put. :)