Stringer denied 25 lbs

Discussion in 'Badminton Stringing Techniques & Tools' started by BethuneGuy, Jul 16, 2004.

1. BethuneGuy

BethuneGuy Regular Member

Student
    Today i broke strings on mp 99, bg 68 ti, broke fast. I requested stringer to string at 25, and he said he won't. He said Mp 99 will break, but i've always strung at 25 lbs. I settled at 22 lbs, cuz that's all they'll give. Anybody have similar experiences?

2. silentlight

silentlight Regular Member

student/programmer
    Not exactly but I ask for 23lbs on my iso800, my stringer accepts it but I doubt that he actually strings it that high since it always feels more like 21 or something and I've tried 23lbs before on the same racquet.

3. paulchow

paulchow Regular Member

ya...often there's a listed range for tensions on a racket. Stringing at higher than recommended tensions won't improve your game much but your strings will break more easily as well as ur racket :S a lot of stringers dont want to be held responsible if ur racket or strings break right after a stringing.

4. paulchow

paulchow Regular Member

o ya if the racket doesnt suggest a tension the generic max tension is 24pb i think

5. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    i say you should find a different stringer!

6. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

wannabe badminton phototaker
    Yes. he has the right to refuse.

7. TheGr8Two

TheGr8Two Regular Member

Last I recall..Yo's(at first markham place) will do the job, and lee's won't, so try Yo's.

Lately I've went to Lee's for convenience and excellent service. Didn't really matter too much as only my back-up racket needed to be restrung.

Off-topic, but, I was wondering if you are going to Bethune C.I.? I went there before university :)

8. TrunkZ69

TrunkZ69 Regular Member

Student

i 2nd that. any stringing who won't string over 25 lbs is either really really conservative, or just not that good of a stringer. the warning is should always be there, but stringing a racket at 25 isn't a big deal.

9. Dill

Dill Regular Member

Lazy git (my coach can verify this)
    It might also be that the stringers machine won't go up to 25lbs without damaging the racket but it would have to be a low end model for that(stringing machine not racket).

The only way to get the job done is find a stringer to do it at your required tension, mine went all the way up to 40lbs on a Carlton AS1, the difference is the AS1 is built to withstand 40lbs, it may be your stringer is following the guidelines as set down by Yonex and will not go over the higher end tension set by them.

He is protecting his business and reputation! If the racket snaps or gets damaged you would no doubt blame him for being a bad stringer, even though you have instructed him to go over the reccomended tension on the racket.

Best thing to do is tell him you are willing to accept the risk of damage or breakage on the racket if the maximum tension is over that specified by Yonex (probably around 22lbs) and will not blame him if anything goes wrong.

Even though most of us have at one time or another tried higher tensions and not cared about the warranty he's probably just playing it safe.

10. silentlight

silentlight Regular Member

student/programmer
    Yeah, I understand his risk, but I hate the fact that he's not being honest. If he doesn't want to string it that high, at least tell me. I'm thinking that he's just assuming that I won't notice, by not telling me he won't string it that high, he's making sure that I won't go to another stringer and at the same time he doesn't risk breaking my racquet and pay for it. And for what? 23lbs isn't that high anyway. Although it could be for an old racquet like the iso800.

11. BethuneGuy

Student
    Yup, what's yur name, i might know you. Unless you're really old... lol.

12. ants

ants Regular Member

Entrepreneur , Modern Nomad
    HE has the right to refuse. If its your regular stringer..he/she may be able to help you on your preffered tension. Sometimes there are stringers just follow the recomended tension setting on the racket.

13. TheGr8Two

TheGr8Two Regular Member

Check your pm :)

14. fishmilk

fishmilk Regular Member

Student
    where was this? mandarin? lee's? there aren't that many places in toronto... i didn't list yo's cuz i respect them and don't think it'd be them...

15. bluejeff

bluejeff Regular Member

Developer
    Besides the stringer's policy or so, could it be possible that your racquet has damaged a lot, so the stringer is not confident on the stringing at higher tension?

16. Psycho V

Psycho V Regular Member

The place where i string, when i asked for 23lbs, the stringer laughed at me and said, "Cmon, make it 25 lbs dude, i string my own rackets minimum 27lbs". lol

17. Feng_MP-100

Feng_MP-100 Regular Member

Student
    lmao!!!:D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

18. BethuneGuy

Student
    It was at Mandarin's. LOL psycho.

19. ayl

ayl Regular Member

Professional procrastinator
    G'day,

I string some of my customer's racket regularly up to 27lbs, without too many returns. Generally I do up to 23-24lbs and most people are happy with that. I did once do a racket up to 30lbs but that was at request of the owner and I offered no responsibility shall the racket or string break.

Till this day he's still using the racket and tension's dropped to about 25lbs. I personally use 26lbs and I break a string every 2 weeks! :eek:

20. surge

surge Regular Member

once i wanted to string my racket t 25lbs but the stringer kpet warning me not to and he would not be reposnsible if i insist and the racket breaks. it was a 2 week old racket. i aske him to go ahead at 25lb cos i read at the web that the racket can take up to 28lb. i return in an hour and the racket indeed broke. i paid him the string money and told him you never know till you try. end up he didnt even take my money. now whenever i ask for high tension, he would gladly do it except he say will charge even if racket breaks. once they know you know you are stretching the limit and wont put them to blame. they will do it for you. thikn they are also keen to see which racket can take higher tension