Tension, Stiffness and Durability

Discussion in 'Badminton Rackets / Equipment' started by TheGr8Two, Jul 17, 2004.

1. TheGr8Two

TheGr8Two Regular Member

Is there any correlation between the manufacturer's rated tension for a racket and the durability of the racket with respect to clashing? Also, will flexible rackets be more durable, possibly because it can flex a bit when it is clashed?

Say for example, would a racket rated for holding 25 lbs possibly be more durable than a racket rated for 18 lbs? (25 lbs might be AT800 DF, 18 lbs might be ISO MP 63)

And for stiffness, maybe MP88 against a Cab 22?

2. bluejeff

bluejeff Regular Member

Developer
    Think about Cab 20 (2U) and MP-100(2U) as an example:
    Cab20 is rated for 20 pounds, and MP-100 is rated for 22 pounds, however, if there is a clash between them, I bet Cab20 will survive 80% of the time.
    (if you want an extreme case, then I can give you a Steel racquets, which is rated for less than 18 pounds, and if there is a clash with MP100, you should know the answer)

If there is something to do with the rated tension, they I bet all manufacturers will be "racing" the rated tension because it will mean better durability to users. That's just too weird.

About the stiffness, that's something worth the science and calculations.
    For less stiff shafts, they might have more bending to take out the impact a little more than the stiffer ones.
    Using MP88 and Cab22 is not a fair test.....because they are totally different.
    You can use ISO-TIS-SX and ISO-TIS-SA as an example since they are the same series but different stiffness at the shaft. However, how to run the test will be the problem..... :)

3. LazyBuddy

LazyBuddy Regular Member

Engineer
    I don't think use "clash" as a standare is reasonable at all, since too much factor(s) got involvled:

1. How u rate how serious a clash could be?

2. Various spots on the frame are weaker than others

3. How to consider the factor of previous damage, such as bad string job, paint chip, internal crack, etc

4. bluejeff

bluejeff Regular Member

Developer
    Totally agree, it's nearly impossible to have a clash test unless done by robots' arms and for new racquets only. (Very costy)

5. TheGr8Two

TheGr8Two Regular Member

Are ovals more durable than isometric heads then?

Also..for AT's Armor systems....does it mean anything?

We could run an organization to which ppl interested can donate to the project ;)

6. TheGr8Two

TheGr8Two Regular Member

It doesn't have to be perfect. But using new rackets will help, and standarding the point of impact and the force can be done.

7. cappy75

cappy75 Regular Member

Depot Support Representative
    Also to add to LB's list, the angle of the clash is very important too. I had a "robust" and relatively new CAB23 destroyed simply because it's in the way of a partner's follow-through swing (ie. frame edge onto frame face:(). Sometimes, it's just out of my hands when it happen:(.

#7 cappy75, Jul 18, 2004
    Last edited: Jul 18, 2004