news:Uncertain future for doubles pair Choon Eng-Chong Ming

Discussion in 'Malaysia Professional Players' started by jaclyn, Jul 17, 2004.

1. jaclyn

jaclyn Regular Member

student
    KUALA LUMPUR: The Athens Olympic Games may turn out to be the last outing for national doubles player Chew Choon Eng with his regular partner Chan Chong Ming.

The four-year-old partnership could be broken up if they fare badly. And seasoned campaigner Choon Eng is prepared to accept any verdict.

For now though, his heart is set on achieving his best ever result with Chong Ming at Athens. The badminton competition is from Aug 14-21 at the Goudi Sports Complex.

My coach (Yap Kim Hock) may have plans for me after the Olympic Games. Whatever the outcome, I am prepared to accept it, said the 27-year-old Choon Eng.

Personally, I would like to continue playing. But if my services are no longer required, I will leave. If BAM (Badminton Association of Malaysia) want me to become a coach, I will venture into it. If they do not want me to partner Chong Ming anymore and give me a new partner, I will also accept it.

But honestly, all these are not my worries now, he said after a training session at the Stadium Juara in Bukit Kiara here yesterday.

After a successful scramble against time to qualify for the Athens Games, Choon Eng just wants to make a memorable debut with Chong Ming.

His hopes of featuring in his first Olympics hung on a string last October when Chong Ming suffered a shoulder injury.

But the 24-year-old Chong Ming returned after a five-month break and the pair just squeezed into the list of qualifiers within two months.

On paper, no one will expect us to win a medal at the Olympic Games. But anything can happen and we are not ruling out our chances, said Choon Eng.

My partner Chong Ming has shown improvement in the last few weeks. The training has been tough. We even train on Sundays. We want to achieve our best results together.

Our performances are still not stable but this will be ironed out, he added, reflecting on their upset win over Englands Nathan Roberton-Anthony Clark (second round) and a shocking defeat a day later to Denmarks Thomas Laybourn-Peter Steffensen in the Malaysian Open in Kuantan two weeks ago.

On the top contenders for the gold medal in the Olympics, Choon Eng said: There are four top pairs Jonas Rasmussen-Lars Paske (Den), Ha Tae-kwon-Kim Dong-moon (Kor), Fu Haifeng-Cai Yun (Chn) and my teammates (Choong) Tan Fook-(Lee) Wan Wah.

Currently, Tan Fook-Wan Wah are ranked second in the world while Choon Eng-Chong Ming are placed at 17th spot.

For the record, Malaysia won their first medal - a bronze - in the Olympics through the Sidek brothers Jalani-Razif in the mens doubles at the 1992 Barcelona Games.

The best achievement came in the 1996 Atlanta Games when Cheah Soon Kit-Kim Hock bagged a silver medal.

The Star Online

2. FEND.

FEND. Regular Member

Full Time Badmintoncentral.com/forums camper. Part
    Go for it!! Chan Chong Ming & Chew Choon Eng.

Personally, I feel anything can happen in the olympics.

Even I feel roslin Hashim can win the gold medal.... mmm.. YEAH RIGHT. HE Can't win a damn thing even if his life depends on it. The rest of the players from the malaysian team have much better chance of getting something than Roslin can ever get.

~Cheers

3. mirrura

mirrura Regular Member

part time dreamer
    Yea...Chan - Chew used to be malaysian top pair but sadly when they were top, they weren't really THAT good, only won a japan open title. I hope Yap's decision after the Olympics will be for msian's own good. Somehow, I think Chan - Chew's chances are very low to achieve something miracle. Let's wait for the draw to come out

4. Fook90

Fook90 Regular Member

Student
    My Desire Malaysia Team

I hope Malaysian future team would be like this :

Choong Tan Fook / Lee Wan Wah They would be retiring after World Championships 2005

Chew Choong Eng / Wong Choon Han. Chew and Chan still have to split up when Chew is old. While Wong isnt very impressive in singles since he is getting old.

Chan Chong Ming / Koo Kien Keat. Koo is a young talent and can achieve better results with a better partner like Chan. And Chan couldnt build a strong rapport between with Chew, should be looking for a suitable partner who would be Koo.

Gan Taik Chai now Malaysian's top mixed double player, could concentrate on his mixed doubles' game and bring some long-lost honour back to Malaysia.

MALAYSIA BOLEH !!!