National trials of Team Canada for Worlds University Championships 2004

Discussion in '2004 Tournaments' started by JRMTL, Jul 17, 2004.

1. JRMTL

JRMTL Regular Member

Math teacher and coach at Univesity of Montreal
    The trials will be held in Montreal: September 12th at University of Montreal gymnasium.

The trials are an invitation tournament, so all the matches will be tough and tight. Many players who made finals or semi-finals at the last Canadian nationals will be competing at this tournament.

For more information:

http://universitysport.ca/e/international/story_detail.cfm?id=179

JRMTL

2. Winning Touch

Winning Touch Regular Member

Anyone know if the draw is done yet or if it's posted in any website? Thanks!

3. JRMTL

JRMTL Regular Member

Math teacher and coach at Univesity of Montreal
  4. cooler

cooler Regular Member

Surfing, reading fan mails:D, Dilithium Crystal hu
    #4 cooler, Feb 5, 2005
    Last edited: Feb 5, 2005
  5. Wai Shing

Wai Shing Regular Member

Student
    I went to some matches throughout the week, most notably the quarterfinals and the final day.
    Most matches I saw were intersting cept the final day(explained later) since it was the first time I got to witness international players(granted not *high* class internationals)like Bob Milroy, Dabeka play live! This will probably be the highest form of badminton I'll ever get to see *unless* I go to WC05 this summer :p
    Some gripping moments I still remember are Beres vs Foley in the qf, Beres saved god knows how many game pts in the rubber set, but eventually lost to Foley 16-17. The MS final was kinda dissapointing, Milroy had 10-2 lead but suddenly fell asleep or something and barely made it out alive 15-10, Dabeka ultimately won 15-2, 15-4.
    MD finals was pretty one sided, the quebecer pair(bourret/goyette) were beaten down 15-7, 15-4 by Beres/Milroy. Bourret/Nichols suffered similar fate to milroy/Sun in the XD final.
    The most exciting matches of the tourney were played in the semifinals,judging from scores, but unfortunately I missed those.

btw, I saw Ardy Wiranata walking around coaching I was like :eek:badminton master in front of me!!

#5 Wai Shing, Feb 7, 2005
    Last edited: Feb 7, 2005
  6. cooler

cooler Regular Member

Surfing, reading fan mails:D, Dilithium Crystal hu
    thanks for the highlights.
    I see mike beres has the playing ability and experience but unfortuately the age thing had caught up with him. What he (31.6 y.o) knows now wif a . body 5+ years younger would get him much further into the international scene. What happen to Stefan Wojcikiewicz (ON), he was last year MS national winner, also beat mike bere on a rubber. Poor Mikey, so close every year but no cigar.

#6 cooler, Feb 7, 2005
    Last edited: Feb 7, 2005
  7. Wai Shing

Wai Shing Regular Member

Student
    Stephan Wojcikiewicz made it to quarterfinals and resigned during second game after losing first game to Matthieu Laforest, I think his knee just couldn't go on anymore. My friend told me he has been injured for the past year and has only recently come back playing. The pressure on his knee probably got intolerable at the point in the tourney. He had this huge knee brace supporting his knee throughout the tourney
    Indeed, Beres was really unlucky that qf day, after losing that close match, he still had to play qf MD and XD! Fortunately for him, he won MD, but got so tired he lost the XD later that evening... :(