Smelly grips

Discussion in 'Grip' started by New_Guy04, Jul 18, 2004.

1. New_Guy04

New_Guy04 Regular Member

did anyone experience their overgrips on rackets after a while getting REALLY SMELLY??? i once borrowed someone's racket and the grip REALLY SMELLED!!! All i did was hit one serve with it just to see how the racket feels like (this didn't take no longer than 3 seconds). suddenly, i felt there was a REALLY TERRIBLE smell on my hands. it smelled like vinegarX10 times worse, and i was only smelling my hand that touched the racket for 3 seconds. i was actually thinking if the person put vinegar on teh grip with spoiled eggs on purpose, since the smell was so strong.... anyways, after i touched my racket with that hand, that grip smelled AWFUL!!! i had to spray one of those strawberry-scent sprays on my racket 3 times drying them thoroughly, and finally the smell has gotten off. so my qns is, did anyone of u ppl experienced smelly grips, and tell me how long the grip was used...

2. FEND.

FEND. Regular Member

Full Time Badmintoncentral.com/forums camper. Part
    Smelly grips = Bacteria and fungus growing.

GET RID OF THEM.

Wrap a new overgrip. After doing so, after every game you use your racquet, wipe the grip with some alcohol / water solution and leave it to dry before wiping it clean with a wet cloth. Then let it dry.

Hopefully this does the trick. To prevent smelly grips.

~Cheers

3. sillybiscuit03

sillybiscuit03 Regular Member

throw it away, try other grips/overgrips

I think so too, that bugs are growing happily on that grip. The material that the grip is made from may play a role here. Bugs like to grow on some materials while not on others. Some sandal manufactures are known to put some zinc compound in their products to inhibit the growth of odor-causing bateria or fungus. I am not sure if any grips manufactures put similar stuff in their products.

By the way, wash your hands, New_Guy04. Fungal infections are very hard to get rid off. Hmm...

4. ants

ants Regular Member

Entrepreneur , Modern Nomad
    that is one of the reason why i use towel grips.. more hygenic. synthetic grips , we tends to overuse them.
    well smelly grips is not new to us.. it is a nightmare for stringers.. some of us don't went want to touch the grips. you imagine in the future , maybe stringers may have to use rubber glove to string just to avoid those backteria and virus on the grips ? heheh

5. New_Guy04

New_Guy04 Regular Member

well, i'm not the one who OWNED that racket, it was my coach's racket... i touched it for 3 seconds, and then touched my own racket for like 7 seconds, and then when i smelled my racket, it was like :( :( :( :( ... my racket smelled like vinegar, except that the racket had a 10 times more sting...that's rite, it smelled THAT bad... if my rackets that smelly, how smelly is HIS grip, i dun wanna know:(

and i'm saying this on this forum since i dun wanna tell my coach to change his grip since it's mean, but i wanted to say it somewhere

(then again, he might be a BFer himself, and he might be reading this thread right this instant...)

6. Dill

Dill Regular Member

Lazy git (my coach can verify this)
    You'll know if he is a BF'r if he turns up to your next coaching session with a shiny new grip :D

7. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    now that you mention it. i see many stringer wraps the stringing receipt over the grip and ties it there with a rubber band. aside from being a logical place to put the receipt, now i think we have another very valid reason for it... :)

8. FEND.

FEND. Regular Member

Full Time Badmintoncentral.com/forums camper. Part
    Lol. Nice one Dill. Maybe he / she will. Who knows?? [​IMG][​IMG]

~Cheers

9. Muteki

Muteki Regular Member

Hmm...make sure the alcohol is diluted, or it will ruin the grip.

10. cooler

cooler Regular Member

Surfing, reading fan mails:D, Dilithium Crystal hu
    hahaha, you're right. some, not many, racquets i got for stringing, the grip is dark brown to black, nothing resemble to the original overgrip color. Some even are so wore down that the bare wood handle is showing. I just dont understand it. :rolleyes:

11. LazyBuddy

LazyBuddy Regular Member

Engineer
    Maybe s/he did this on purpose. :D

This way, s/he could avoid others to borrow the racket, and taking the risk of breakage. :D

12. New_Guy04

New_Guy04 Regular Member

it's a he. and yeah:p, that racket thing makes sense. he's using THE FAMOUS mp 100, he's probably worried. that's weird, since i think the only way to learn that the mp 100 is fragile is from reading the posts in this forum (GASP:eek: )

omg, so if he really made his grip smell on purpose, high chance he is a BFer...

omg, kwun, w/e u do, if someone sends u a private message asking for NEWGUY's real name and his address, DON'T TELL HIM!!!~

13. LazyBuddy

LazyBuddy Regular Member

Engineer

Too late, maybe he's already figured out who's who from ur face expression after u noticed the "smell". :D

14. timeless

timeless Regular Member

Comp. Eng.
    Okay this thread is totally grossing me out~.:eek:
    People, change your grips if they start to smell! That's like wearing the same pair of socks without washing them! It really is no different, since as someone mentioned above, the stink comes from bacteria etc. And then to think you'd have to shake hands with these people after a game?! Hell, why not just shake their bare feet! :p

A quick high five all the way baby! :D

15. bluejeff

bluejeff Regular Member

Developer
    OMG! I just took off the overgrip on my ISO-TIS-SR which was lent to my GF for like a month, and I saw this thin black greese around the grip.......:eek: (my GF sweats a lot in the hands)......It's very ..... disgusting, and the smell is even worse.

16. Dill

Dill Regular Member

Lazy git (my coach can verify this)
    Overshare :eek:

I think people should change their grips (of course dependant on the amount they play) at least once a month.

I just don't know how people can keep the same grip for so long :confused:

It must get to the stage where the hand fits into grooves in the handle made by the hand, how then do they change grips in a hurry or do they just play with the one?

17. stevesim89

stevesim89 Regular Member

student
    i know the trick...

SPRAY FEBREEZE(I think that is the spelling)!!

18. Brave_Turtle

Brave_Turtle Regular Member

Student
    There's a product that girls put in their hand to wash it whitout water, cant remember the name. Anyone have any idea?

19. bluejeff

bluejeff Regular Member

Developer
    The Lotion??? :D:D

(I think it's something like a dry-wash gel..... basically it's a quick erase of gems....usually used in places without water, like in a tour or something)

20. Brave_Turtle

Brave_Turtle Regular Member

Student

Yah thats it, I saw Lin dan using it alot on his hand and even on his towel grip