What's the meaning of 2U, 3U?

Discussion in 'Badminton Rackets / Equipment' started by patfam, Jul 19, 2004.

1. patfam

patfam Regular Member

Hey guys,

I know there are a lot of you out there that are really familiar with the racquet specifications. I was just thinking, what is the meaning of 2U, 3U or any other Us? and their corresponding G4, G5 or any other Gs :confused:

Its quite confusing for a starter like me to find a suitable racquet for myself since we have so much varieties of racquets out in the market nowadays.

Thanks for teaching.

2. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
  3. tir168

tir168 Regular Member

Uni Student
    it is the weight of the racquets. and the G counterpart is the grip size

4. LazyBuddy

LazyBuddy Regular Member

Engineer
    U: weight
    G: grip size

However, be aware that different manufactures might have different standard in U and Gs. Therefore, the best solution is go to the store, demo the racket (at least, hold it), before spending big bucks. ;)

5. patfam

patfam Regular Member

OK, I know that the Us represents the weight and the larger U meaning lighter racquets. And the Gs are for grip size.

But then again, how would i know which U is suitable for me? I've tried holding the racquets in some shops. Mainly 2U and 3U.... not much difference to me :( So how heavy is 2U or 3U and how to ascertain which is more suitable for a person :confused:

The shopkeeper told me that if i don't have much strengh in my stroke, try to get a heavier head racquet so that the racquet can help me hitting further? And all the while i thought lighter racquet is the best if your arms are not strong enough.

6. Brave_Turtle

Brave_Turtle Regular Member

Student

It's just a matter or preference. To know which one fits you, try it out. I mean try to play with it, not only by swinging them at the shop. After 1-2 hours of playing, you will feel the difference.

7. taneepak

taneepak Regular Member

Designing and producing quality feather shuttlecoc
    What the shopkeeper really meant was to get a head-heavy racquet, not a heavy racquet. Specifically designed head-heavy racquets are lighter racquets and they come typically with 4U or 3U at the most. :)