Interesting Observation..

Discussion in 'Techniques / Training' started by Matt Ross, Jul 19, 2004.

1. Matt Ross

Matt Ross Regular Member

Student
    Not sure whether you people will find this interesting or not, but something i thought i should share.

I train every day, with Mondays being my rest days. Yesterday, i training with a heart rate monitor (chest strap and watch). Now, to find out your maximum heart rate, all you do is simply do 220 - your age = MHR
    So for me:

220-18 = MHR of 202 beats per minute.

During a game of singles during training yesterday, my hear rate went up to 185, just 17 beats away from my maximum heart rate. Also, another observation that i made was during a long rally (of around 40 seconds or so), my heart rate went up from 144 to an amazing 175.

175-144 = 31! My heart rate went up 31 beats in the space of 40 seconds.

This just goes to show the physical demands on the body. Perhaps if any of you can do this, share with us your max. heart rate, and the rate you experienced during a game, it would be good to see!

2. Dill

Dill Regular Member

Lazy git (my coach can verify this)
    How does it feel going about with the chest strap on? Does it not get in the way or feel awkward?

3. bluejeff

bluejeff Regular Member

Developer
    Where did you get the idea of wearing the wires when playing badminton? :)
    That is indeed very cool, but aren't those wires would make your swings become hard (perhaps wires would jam with your feet & arms)?

I just can't imagine what the picture will be looked like :p

4. Matt Ross

Matt Ross Regular Member

Student
    Wires? No no, this is a cordless strap that fits just under your pecs, and then reads your heart rate and sends it back to the watch.

Dill: In a way it was a little uncomfortable, but you kinda get used to it, didnt really restrict me in any way.

5. taneepak

taneepak Regular Member

Designing and producing quality feather shuttlecoc
    I have been using one for close to six months and I find it very useful and informative. Matt Ross is only 18 and he thinks 175 is high. I am close to 66 and I have often hit 180bpm, at which rate I tend to do all sorts of tricks to slow the game, like changing shuttles and going for a drink. On rare occasions, I sometimes walked off the game as to have continued playing would really put me in real distress. At my age it takes an even shorter time to shoot up from 135bpm to 175bpm. All it takes is just one prolonged rally in doubles. :D

6. ants

ants Regular Member

Entrepreneur , Modern Nomad
    What kind of chest strap do you use? what brand?

7. Matt Ross

Matt Ross Regular Member

Student
  8. taneepak

taneepak Regular Member

A pulse monitor set comes with two separate devices. One is a heart beat monitor, clamped at both ends by an adjustable strap, and contains a transmitter, which is powered by a tiny battery. The other piece is the watch, actually a wireless receiver, which receives and displays the information transmitted by the monitor/transmitter. Because it emits radio waves, you shouldn't use it if you wear a heart pace-maker. If you are a male, you strap the transmitter on your chest. If you are female, you strap the monitor/transmitter just above your waist. The watch is usually a digital watch and combines the function of a watch and a wireless receiver that receives and displays your heart beat rate, and its various permutations.
    It is a very important tool if you are interested in upgrading your fitness level.
    I use a pulse monitor made by Medisana, model Pulse Tronic HRM 530. :D

9. Apocalypse

Apocalypse Regular Member

Self Employed
    Heart Rate Monitor

I use a heart rate monitor when I play too as it gives me the best way to train in the gym. Your heart rate obviously spikes when you play and I use this "graph" to emulate a game on the treadmill. I interval train on it and push my heart rate a little longer/higher each time.

An interesting factor of playing, I find, is the huge amount of calories you burn when you play. Makes me feel less guilty when i eat the Big Macs :rolleyes:

10. ants

ants Regular Member

Entrepreneur , Modern Nomad
    How much does these things cost? can you load the datas into the Pc?

11. Apocalypse

Apocalypse Regular Member

Self Employed
    Heart Rate Monitor

Mine is a Polar S410 and it lets you upload the info via your microphone into the software supplied. It is ace !!

12. Dill

Dill Regular Member

In the UK they start about £50 for a basic model and go up into the hundreds for all the bells and whistles.

13. Dill

Dill Regular Member

Sorry all - just in case something is lost in the translation "bells and whistles" referes to all the technology or the top of the range models.

14. dlp

dlp Regular Member

Accountant / Coach
    Seen England players playing matches with monitor straps on, so obviousley they don't affect play.

15. taneepak

taneepak Regular Member

A former Hong Kong champion used to wear a pulse monitor during his competitive days. Obviously, he was using it to improve his stamina and endurance, for he did mention that his pulse rate used to shoot over 200bpm during hard rallies.
    You don't have to get a pulse monitor that has all sorts off bells and whistles. Getting an inexpensive and well known one will serve its primary purpose.

16. Loh

Loh Regular Member

Semi-Retired
    From the example given by Ross, it looks like your MHR is 154 (assuming you are 66). But you are often hitting 180! How do you feel at this rate and is there real danger that you may suffer from a heart attack or something similar? I don't have any monitors at all and all these discussions appear scary for a senior veteran player like me. But I'll stop playing if I feel too uncomfortable or breathless. In any case, I hardly play singles.

17. JRMTL

JRMTL Regular Member

Math teacher and coach at Univesity of Montreal
    The formula MHR = 220 - age isn't a good formula. It doesn't suit to everybody. They should do the VO2 MAX test to have a better idea of what there MHR can be.

JRMTL

18. Neil Nicholls

Neil Nicholls Regular Member

19. taneepak

taneepak Regular Member

That is what the manual says-220 less your age. When I first started using the pulse monitor, I was very careful I did not get over 150bpm. For my age I am considered pretty fit. I have a resting heart beat of 53bpm. It used to be 72bpm. In most doubles games I do hit 165bpm routinely. Against better players I find myself stretched to 180bpm, at which point I am likely to surrender the shot if I do not get a winner within the next couple of shots. If there is a pause, I will try to waste a little time by changing shuttles or asking for a drink. Even at 180bpm I did not have the feeling of serious distress. To-date, I have only walked off the court twice when I felt that continuing with the game would do serious harm to my heart and/or body. I listen to what my body tells me.
    I don't play singles now, having stopped about 3 years ago. I do remember I could never finished more than half the singles games that I played, as I felt that my lungs were coming out of my chest. I didn't have a pulse monitor then. But I guess my heart must have exceeded 180 to have caused me to feel this way.
    By the way I hydrate myself with lots of sports drink, almost a litre 10 mins before play and another 1-2 litres during play. In between games I splash myself with lots of water. :D

20. Dill

Dill Regular Member

I got my Triax C8 this morning and will try it out tomorrow whilst playing.

The technology makes it heavy though, my last Nike watch was the moulded angular one (I think it was a triax super sprinter or simmilar) and there is very little weight in it.

I hate wearing watches whilst playing :(