MP Grommets

Discussion in 'Badminton Rackets / Equipment' started by fishmilk, Jul 20, 2004.

1. fishmilk

fishmilk Regular Member

Student
    Any1 ever try putting MP grommets on other racquets? Preferably Yonex... Results? And Is it possible to put MP grommets on an Armortec?

2. TheGr8Two

TheGr8Two Regular Member

Put 2 MP pieces on each side the shaft(4 total) of my Carbonex 7.

I can't really comment on the result compared to without MP grommets however, because it was the first time I restrung that racket(it had factory strings before).

Whether it was because of the string or the grommets or both, the racket seem to have gone under 100% improvement :)

It's been a week, and the tension is holding, so maybe the MP grommets are helping ;)

3. Dill

Dill Regular Member

Lazy git (my coach can verify this)
    MP Grommets should fit every Yonex racket maybe excluding the AT800's since there are different holes for stringing although I don't think they are near enough to the T-junction to interfere with replacing the grommets with MP ones.

In theory they just lengthen the life of the string since the string does not rub against the frame and wear through.

4. Brave_Turtle

Brave_Turtle Regular Member

Student
    OMG I have to try it out!

Whats do you guys think of Mp-55 muscle bump (the biggest) on a Cab21?

Its gonna become a Cab21 Muscle eheh. I'm still thinkign of other possibilities^^

5. Smashguy

Smashguy Regular Member

On my observation, the 'legs' of MP grommets are thinner than traditional YY grommets. And all oval head YY rackets have the first three (from bottom near T-joint) of each side narrow holes for thin grommet and the fourth hole onward return to bigger hole for traditional grommet. Therefore, one leg of the MP grommet will put in larger hole and unfit the size of the hole. In long term, it may bend the grommet or harm the racket unless something is filled in the gap.

For the long side MP grommet bar, especially MP55, 77 and 88, are not compatible with the normal YY rackets. Only MP99's which is flat base grommet bar can fit all YY rackets. Personally, I has think about this kind of modification long time and wait for my target Carbonex's string breaks.

6. fishmilk

fishmilk Regular Member

Student
    hehe MP99 users beware! we're out to steal your grommets

7. mxmcat

mxmcat Regular Member

actually no
    Do you know if it is possible (and where) to buy those MP 99 grommets ?

8. chickenpoodle

chickenpoodle Regular Member

i inserted four mp99 grommets into my carlton a couple days back! the four from beside the T joint.
    unfortunately i can't give an accurate side-by-side comparison to with or without the grommet changes, since i changed my strings at the same time.
    and to make things worse, my friend strung it with an extra cross by accident. :eek:

the one without the mp grommets are strung with BG85 @ 24lbs.
    the other one is BG66 mains, BG85 crosses @ 24lbs.

heres pictures of it!
    the B1 and B2 grommet fitted perfectly.
    the B3 and B4 grommets required a bit of squeezing!

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

9. bluejeff

bluejeff Regular Member

Developer
    On my trip to Taiwan, I was able to get a small bag of MP grommets :)

Notice there are two types of MP grommets:
    Left: Type One, longer, used in holes that are closed to the shaft.
    Middle: Type Two, shorter, used in holes that are next to the Type One.

PS: MP99 only uses Type One, while MP100, 88.....are using both Type One and Type Two. So, make sure you get the correct ones :)

Right: This is the MP grommet strip that are used for non-Yonex brand rackets. I think many rackets can fit this, such as Victor, MMOA, Fleet.... This is normally used for TOP grommets, but I have a friend said he can fit a pair of those at the sides as well. So, I guess this is a pretty general grommet strip which can work on the top or at the sides of the racket.

Attached Files:

10. LazyBuddy

LazyBuddy Regular Member

Engineer
    I only saw such strip being used on the side. I think the purpose was claimed to be "reduce vibration". Never seen anyone used on the top, though. :rolleyes:

11. Yogi

Yogi Regular Member

Sorry for being of the topic, but could not resist from commenting... NIce color scheme (mix and match) on the strings.

P.s: Chickenpoodle, how is the Bg66 and 85 combo... Sorry, are you Kelvin from the old forum... If not, i am terribly sorry for mistaken identity. Your manner of speech higly resembled him.

12. chickenpoodle

thank-you. i had initially wanted blue for the bg85, but all he had was lilac, and i feel it turned out better than what blue would have looked like.

the bg66/bg85 combination feels quite nice, actually. i haven't had all that much time to try it thoroughly yet, however. maybe a couple hours. i will try to comment more later, for sure. i might not even had sufficient time to get used to it yet :p

and nope, i'm not Kelvin! haha.
    i beleive i have seen this Kelvin fellow posting more or less recently, with the same username "Kelvin".
    or is that not him?

do you have any pictures of these in use on a racquet? and how heavy are those in particular?

13. chickenpoodle

after about 15 hours of use, i find the BG66/85 hybrid to feel better than BG85 overall.
    there is the softer feel in the hybrid strung racquet than that of the BG85 overall racquet. i guess that is due to the characteristic of BG66.
    this is totally subjective though, since feel and all is up to the user.
    i think the biggest difference between BG66, BG85, and the hybrid will be durability. since i've only used it for a few days, i certain can't say anything about that yet.

but i did think of a minor problem that i think i might ask, perhaps someone can comment.

will the thicker BG85 crosses compressing the BG66 mains lead to reduced string life, as compared to BG66 crosses compressing BG66 mains?

14. frankcent

frankcent Regular Member

I sent my racket to courtside sports for restringing recently. When I got my racket back, I found there was a stylefoam thing on either side of the shaft under the string, which made the string go like a small hill. I believe this features the same function as the MP grommets.

15. stephenk

stephenk Regular Member

Student
    Hi

I have a MP88 and most of the grommets are due for replacing. On my racquet there is a grommet strip at either side. Does anyone know where I can buy those? (preferably in the UK).

mybadmintonstore.com supplies the "type 1" and "type 2" that bluejeff has referred to above and also supplies the normal grommets in 4 different sizes. I think the MP88 uses 2 of those sizes. The gromets at the top of the racquet head seem to have a slightly smaller diameter than the others.

Thanks for any help.