Flick Serve

Discussion in 'General Forum' started by Grim1, Jul 21, 2004.

1. Grim1

Grim1 New Member

Having played for 20 years I was pulled up by another player who said my flick serve (going as if to serve short and then ficking the birdie over his head) was illegal as the speed of the service stroke was not constant.
    Now the rules state that as long as the racket is moving forward at all times it's OK.
    Who's right?

2. cheongsa

cheongsa Regular Member

Assistant Professor
    If from the start of the serving motion:

(1) the racket head does not move backwards; and

(2) the racket head does not stop,

then your flick serve is legal, provided it satisfy the usual requirements of a serve. The start of a serve is defined to be the first forward movement of the racket head towards the shuttle.

3. Wizbit

Wizbit Regular Member

Testing ladie's lingerie
    Don't you love dodgy club players

What a load of tosh. Honestly where do these club players get their rule books from?

4. Dill

Dill Regular Member

Lazy git (my coach can verify this)
    Only in the UK, do we have a reputation for this kind of thing now?

As long as the racket is on it's first continual movement forward then you can change the pace as you wish.

Someone pulled me up the other night because I slowed my stroke down and sliced out wide, needless to say they missed and questioned the serve.

Last week I flicked the shuttle over someones head using a round the back stroke and hit the shuttle out to my left hand side still in plain view where it had been held all along and they tried to call that illegal too.

5. pumpkin

pumpkin Regular Member

If you're racket makes a U-path, doesn't that constitute a change in direction? I mean isn't that analogous to a forward then backaward motion?

6. bighook

bighook New Member

student
    I know a fellow who starts the forward motion but who at the last instant before contact cocks his wrist backwards for the delay making you react as if it is going to be a short serve and then flicking it forehand.He also does the opposite striking it level with his hand by snapping the wrist forward .I have protested on these serves but he insists that the serves are legal just because the cocking of the wrist at the last second is not noticeable unless watching very carefully.Another fellow doesn't introduce the bird and uses a fast circular swing motion and then uses a circular introduction of the bird with the non racquet hand almost throwing the bird into the racquet making it impossible to time when the serve begins.He also believes that he is right in how he delivers the serve.It is very frustrating .I practice to serve legally and fair and have very few complaints from others when they are beaten because I recognize a positional error or poor racquet preparation.I know how to beat these players outside of the dirty tricks but they seem to think they are above fault when I protest and of course they exploit the weaker competitors.Don't get me wrong. I am sure that you are probably right in your case but there are always a few who seem to think the rules only apply to other people.Oh yes and one other case was was a really old guy who was still using the impossible to return S serve.That was one bizzare game to win.

7. taneepak

taneepak Regular Member

Designing and producing quality feather shuttlecoc
    The movement of the server's racquet must continue forward after the start of the service until the service is delivered. However, the key word here is "the start of the service", which will determine whether a "U" turn service is legal or not. The start of the service is defined as the first forward movement of the server's racquet head. So, if your "U" turn flick service originates from a static position, goes backwards to make a "U" turn and then a forward movement for the flick serve, then I would think it is perfectly legal. However, if you start your serve by moving the racquet head forward and then guiding it back to make a "U" turn before flicking the shuttle, it would be a fault. :D

8. Neil Nicholls

Neil Nicholls Regular Member

that sounds illegal

do you mean level height-wise (illegal), or forward-backward (legal)

sounds just about legal. There are no laws that say what you can and can't do with the shuttle during the service, only 9.1.4 that says you have to hit the base of the shuttle first.

9. bighook

bighook New Member

student
    The fellow who serves level with hand starts the motion almost in that drive motion where they dip it at the last instant just before striking the bird.The problem is he advances the bird forward before dropping it as he is watching for movement or balance shifts on the receiver and then doesn't dip the racquet head.The other fellow who uses the circular motion also has a tendency to sort of step and plant at the same time as he starts the motion meaning he while not showing the bird he is also not completely standing stopped.He kind of walks or steps into the serve.Anyways you get the picture.I think he is breaking the rule of not allowing the receiver to be ready to receive serve and I do sometimes refuse the serve and make him redo it.

10. kidcanada

kidcanada New Member

Psychological counsellor
    serving discussion

If the serve is on a continous forward motion and the racket head is below the the wrist and below the waist the serve is considered a legal serve.

11. bigredlemon

bigredlemon Regular Member

if the speed of the stroke was constant, then it would be physically impossible to serve. You need to accelerate the rackquet to put it in motion from a resting position. The other player lacks common sense.

12. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

wannabe badminton phototaker
    Yup, impossible to flick serve with constant speed.

I might add that playing for 20 years does not mean one is automatically correct. ;) :D I've played that long with a terrible overhead stroke:(

13. bighook

bighook New Member

student
    Mistake

I notice alot of people say the serve must be below the waist and the racquet must be below the wrist .The rule actually states below the whole of the hand .Normally the lowest part of the hand is the second finger after the thumb.This means any part of the racquet head even with the lowest part of the hand meaning the fingers is a fault.I have made a copy of the rules to carry in my bag for people who want to dispute this.I know perhaps I am being too picky but I didn't make the rules I only play by them. ;)

14. tir168

tir168 Regular Member

Uni Student
    sorry to highjack this thread,

but can anyone tell me what a "S" service is?? i tried searching..came up with a lot of threads last time.

thanks in adv:D

15. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

wannabe badminton phototaker
    Try reading them! :p

16. Neil Nicholls

Neil Nicholls Regular Member

The S stands for either Sidek or Snake. That should help the search.

17. tir168

tir168 Regular Member

Uni Student
    ^^ lolz...okay..thanks for the info

will try to read through them. =P

18. Dill

Dill Regular Member

Lazy git (my coach can verify this)
    Either try reading them or try hitting the feathers instead of the cork during service, it's more fun that way ;)