Backhand Problem with clears..please help

Discussion in 'Techniques / Training' started by Furqan, Jul 22, 2004.

1. Furqan

Furqan Regular Member

student
    hey..
    i hav a problem...i cant even clear with my back ahnd...for example
    im standing at the middle of the court ...near the centre line...my friend clears the shuttle towards my backhand.....like just to the corner of the court....i can easily reach this shuttle....now imagine...my back is towards the net....shuttle is like a feet ahead of me....on my forehand side ofcourse...coz i have my back toards net...and i have to hit it back towards the net...but when i hit it....if i hit with all of my arm muscle strenght...it goes high in the air...just towards the middle of the opposite court...and obviously..u know what happens then!...if i just flick this shuttle using wrist...a quick net kill is what i have to recieve....which i cant ever pick coz im havent yet got my balance back.....and im on the edge of the court....what shud i do? please explain with detail...i searched for a topic like this but nuthing found....
    i can easily beat this friend....my only weakness is this...explained above...
    help wuld be useful
    thanks
    furqan
    :mad:

2. Furqan

Furqan Regular Member

student
    hey.....no one helped so far...i searched again for threads...but din find any related ones....

i have noticed it earlier as well...:( why dun no one ever answers MY posts

3. cheongsa

cheongsa Regular Member

Assistant Professor
    Hi Furqan,

I think the reason no one answered this question is because the backhand clear is difficult to describe in words.

The best way to learn it is to watch someone who can do it well perform the stroke, and then try to copy it. Then keep practicing it.

4. Furqan

Furqan Regular Member

student
    thanks...but i still expect more replies.

5. bighook

bighook New Member

student
    Cheongsa is right and without a video of you doing it and from the correct angles the backhand is hard to error correct.It could be that you have the wrong grip, are slicing it ,are not using the order of body joints in the right sequence,using a stiff rigid motion in your swing ,improperly using your wrist with no supination,Taking the bird too far in front or behind you,or to close to your body or too far away,not positioning feet or body correctly,not following the cork angle in relation to the racquet face when hitting .Shall I go on?Backhand is a real skill and there is no magic solution and we can't help without a video or a very clear description of how you are doing it from your grip to the follow through with body positioning.We have no idea whether or not you have mastered the other basics as well.A backhand is only one part of the puzzle.Can you hit backhand drive ,defense and net clears without difficulty?I hope this clarifies why nobody can help you from half way around the world.We are not being mean it is just there is only so much we can do at the computer.

6. odjn

odjn Regular Member

Student

maybe your not strong enough. I had to train my muscles (my biceps, forearm, wrist, shoulder, and a lil bit of abs) for about a month before I was able to clear from the back baseline to the other end of the court. I think it's 40% physcial and 60% form. Good stuff to do is some weight training and all.

It helps a lot to get a coach to look and teach you bout your form. It's really hard to explain it and all. A lot of ppl do it differently... :rolleyes:

HOPE THIS HELPS!

7. Furqan

Furqan Regular Member

student
    im weakest onein town

im 5.7
    and my weight is 40 kg!!!that makes 88 lbs!!!!
    can u imagine me skinny helpless baby
    besides im 16!
    im not physically fine maybe this is the reason
    seocndly...i can clear it if im standing by the net..i can clear by the backhand....i think im playing it when it is too close to ma body.
    im not slicing
    footwork is right
    grip is right

so u suggest i shud practise mroe n more??

8. wood_22_chuck

wood_22_chuck Regular Member

Electronics Technologist
    If you're looking for a magic method, there isn't any.

Get a friend, and put yourself in that same difficult position. Then practise your backhand clear, again, then again, then again, then again.

-dave

9. bighook

bighook New Member

student
    Just a suggestion but work for the feel of a solid hit first and get that part perfected first and then work on strength for distance.Yes this means practice practice practice.It sounds like you have the passion so don't give up.Work on the feel .Mastering stokes is more based on feel than anything once the correct technique is used.Never forget that badminton is by far the most technically as well as physically challenging sport in the world.

10. JRMTL

JRMTL Regular Member

Math teacher and coach at Univesity of Montreal
    The backhand stroke is exactly the same as the forehand stroke but in reverse. You do a suppination with your forearm instead of a pronation.

A tip I give when I coach:

imagine you wear a watch on your wrist. You should be able to read the time on your watch just before doing the suppination to hit the bird. You'll be in the right position to hit it (with the elbow pointing towards the ceil).

It works for 90% of the players I have coached.

JRMTL

11. Furqan

Furqan Regular Member

student
    ok jrtml.thanks il give it a try day after tomorrow
    secondly...mr bighoook....what do u mean by solid hits..? simpe clears?

12. bighook

bighook New Member

student
    By solid hits I mean hitting the bird on the sweet spot of the racquet.When bouncing the bird up and down on the racquet when you hit the bird in the center you not only get the best feel but also control and power. Hitting the bird elsewhere gives unpredictable results and sometimes broken strings.When swinging do you aim at the whole bird?You should focus on hitting the cork as it gives greater control and will get you to find that sweet spot.I know the stage you are at is frustrating but the key is to relax and work for that feel as trying to strongarm for results can be a letdown sometimes.Strength training will help but hitting cleanly will save you energy and give you a foundation that will take you much farther in this sport.If you can't find the feel it means that you are gripping the racquet too tight or are using the wrong grip.I realize perhaps english is not your first language and from some of your other posts that you should work up your badminton vocabulary.I mean no disrespect but I hope things don't get lost or misunderstood in the translation.Anyways good luck and enjoy the forum.There is alot of stuff here if you look hard enough.

13. Furqan

Furqan Regular Member

student
    thanks a lot man.....i will try this tomorrow..tomorrow is sunday..i hope i get to play like more then an hour..

and i tried that wrist watch thingy..dint work out..will try it again.
    anyhow..thanmks a lot..bighook esp.
    il post abt this laterz.

14. Neil Nicholls

Neil Nicholls Regular Member

Only if you practice the correct technique.
    But don't expect a tiny change of technique to fix everything without practice.
    Knowing the correct technique and being able to perform it are two very different things.

15. Furqan

Furqan Regular Member

student
    nay..infact it is..but the problem is..that i type to quick..or fast..and i dun have time for this capital letters n all...i juss type as in slang.
    nehow....thanks...
    secondly i aim at the whole bird...will try this thingy of urs in a few minutes..im goin out in a while to play.
    thanks..il let u know.

16. Furqan

Furqan Regular Member

student
    hey..im back
    i tried that solid clears thingy...worked out quite well. feels good. I tried it for more then an hour....i think im gettin the hang of it now
    i saw some clips for backhand...and im better at it now....i dint try that wrist watch thing today....forgot about tryin it.
    im trying the tumble over the net thing these days....dint get the hang of it till yesterday...today i got it once or twice...i dunno whats the most easiest and common technique for it..i searched the forums....found good threads..but those techniques are kinda too much..i mean too much in number...
    i tried one or two of them....anyways...
    i tried to aim at the cork today....its better.
    i tried varying the grip too.....its feels different.

17. stantan

stantan Regular Member

Attorney-at-Law
    may i just ask what supination means?

18. Furqan

Furqan Regular Member

student
    1. To turn or rotate (the hand or forearm) so that the palm faces up or forward.
    2. To turn or rotate (the foot) by adduction and inversion so that the outer edge of the sole bears the body's weight
    ahem ahem....atleast thats what dictionary.com tells :rolleyes:

19. Phil

Phil Regular Member

Lawyer
    Last night while hitting around, I hit my first semi-decent backhand clears. :) From what I can feel, the important points are:

- use backhand grip (should be obvious, but I never used to use a backhand grip until I was taught it recently)
    - no large follow-through; I used to always follow-through and I think it kills the explosiveness of the shuttle
    - as with everything, be sure your arm/upper body is relaxed; when you're relaxed, it feels as though you're using much less strength, but the shots have much more power; for a long time I've had the problem with being too tense on the court, so sometimes I have to remind myself to relax (one problem for me is in a longer rally, the tension of who is going to win the rally builds up in that Hollywood movie-type plotline way, so I start tensing up)

Hope this helps.

Phil

20. Furqan

Furqan Regular Member

student
    hmmmmph:rolleyes: thanks a bunch mate:D il look forward to practising it