at 800 de VS mp 99

Discussion in 'Racket Recommendation / Comparison' started by New_Guy04, Jul 23, 2004.

1. New_Guy04

New_Guy04 Regular Member

i think this has been discussed b4, but plz don't critize, bcuz i can't search, since i have to log on when i have to search, and the server gets soooooo~ slow whenever i log on, and the computer freezes whenever i click on a link (weird, huh?) , so let me just post this thread.

which one of these are 'better' in terms of...

1. power

2. control

3. durability?

now i g2 log off again since the server is getting slow again...

2. bluejeff

bluejeff Regular Member

Developer
    Well, you don't need to use search, AT800 is really new (less than 5 months), and all you need to do is to flip back some pages.

3. jhl

jhl Regular Member

1.DE
    2.Both are very good but maybe MP99 just shade it a little since it is less head heavy
    3.DE

4. bluejeff

bluejeff Regular Member

Developer
    well, if you really want to consider...

1. DE is head-heavy balance, so the smash power would be greater given to a good badminton player.

2. MP99, I think it's obvious :)

3. Neither DE nor MP99 will survive in heavy clashes. If you use a Cab20 to clash them, I am sure both MP99 and DE will be broken.

5. TheSleeper

TheSleeper Regular Member

1. DE
    2. Mp99
    3. not sure i would think DE

6. New_Guy04

New_Guy04 Regular Member

ahh man... i so should have got an at 800 de instead of mp 99. i can't sleep at nights thinking my mp 99 might brea in my bag. also, i can't even play very confidentally, thinking i might hit the ground and break it, just like my friend's mp 99 that i broke (ACCIDENTALLY:rolleyes: ).

7. Feng_MP-100

Feng_MP-100 Regular Member

Student
    Sell the MP99, then buy a AT800DE...

8. jhl

jhl Regular Member

MP99 is an excellent racquet and it is not fragile so I won't worry too much.

9. altreality

altreality Regular Member

I don't think the mp99 is that low on durability...

my mp99 slipped out of my hand executing a backhand last week - hit the ground with a bit of a bang - but its till fine....so its not a bad as you may think..

but a really bad clash against the "right" spots may be diff.

10. ants

ants Regular Member

Entrepreneur , Modern Nomad
    AT800 DE Will be my choice of power over MP99.

Control both around the same..

Durability goes to DE

11. FZ10000

FZ10000 Regular Member

by the way, do you guys know which racket is stiffer?

12. taneepak

taneepak Regular Member

Designing and producing quality feather shuttlecoc
    Do you mean stiffer per se as distinct from stiffer racquet frame and shaft flex? If the latter, then both the MP99 and AT800 OF are extra stiff whilst the AT800DE is stiff. Flex stiffness is a measure of a racquet's (frame and shaft) resistance against twisting and impact forces and torque, more a measure of dimensional stability.

13. Neil Nicholls

Neil Nicholls Regular Member

what are you comparing?
    A 4u AT800D and a 3U MP99 ?

1. Depends on how fast you can swing each racquet.

2. Whichever is stiffer probably. MP99

3. Dunno

1+. If you have a fast swing, you might get more power from the MP99. If you have a slower swing, you might get more from the AT800D (just my opinion, don't take it as gospel). Ideally, try both racquets and then come back and tell us which you get most power from.

14. MarkinJapan

MarkinJapan Regular Member

kouchou sensei!
    I have a mp90 2u and a at800de 4u

The 800 feels `easier` to play with, i bet mostly because the shaft isn`t as stiff.

15. bluejeff

bluejeff Regular Member

Developer
    Plus 4U weights more than 10%+ lighter than a 2U. :)

(FYI, 4U is 80-84grams, and 2U is 90-94grams.)

16. LazyBuddy

LazyBuddy Regular Member

Engineer
    No need to over concern about the breakage. Of course, no one want to see a $200 piece of racket just popped. However, you bought the racket to use it, to enjoy the game. If you can't enjoy it, why even bother to buy it?

Also, I always say that use accidents like "bump" or "clash" to rate the durability is very un-reasonable and mis-leading, as none of the rackets are made to be bulletproof from all the un-proper usage.

17. New_Guy04

New_Guy04 Regular Member

i can't... i got it as a b-day gift from my uncle... and only a few days ago... if i sell it, he's never gonna talk to me again... i would feel guilty

damn, i told him to buy the at 800 de.... then again, it probably was't out in korean stores yet, so he probably had to buy the mp 99... oh well, at least i like the mp 99, so i have no big regrets except for the durability part...

18. vincenterika

vincenterika Regular Member

Roamer
    "No need to over concern about the breakage. Of course, no one want to see a $200 piece of racket just popped. However, you bought the racket to use it, to enjoy the game. If you can't enjoy it, why even bother to buy it?"

Agree with Lazy Buddy!

19. david14700

david14700 Regular Member

New Guy, you mean you didn't even have to PAY for it?

I'd be happy as hell to get a free MP99. Plus it's a really good racket, and I'm sure it'll last you a long time, it doesn't have a rep for being fragile.

As for performance, before the Olympics and the Armotec 800s came out, SOOO many of the top internationals were using it, and even at the Olympics, there were still lots of players using it, even though they could have used the Armotec.

My best piece of advice (just imho of course) if you want to have the racket for a long time, don't worry so much about racket clashes, worry about getting it strung properly by a competent stringer (one with proper badminton experience, not some pro shop tennis guy who thinks he can just use the same method for a badminton racket).

The only time I've broken a racket was when I had one that was unevenly strung, but I was a student and I thought I could still get some usage out of the strings before cutting them. One small clash later and the head had caved in completely.

Whereas the MP99 I'm using now is always carefully strung (at 24-26lbs) and has had so many clashes, there's nearly a dozen big paint chips all over the frame, but it still plays perfectly.

In Europe, until about 10 years ago, we used to have soda cans that were made of much thicker aluminum than in the US. You could put an empty can on the floor and stand on it, and it would easily take your weight. BUT, then, when you had someone poke the side of the can gently with a pencil, it would immediately flatten into a pancake. That's because all the weight bearing was designed to be vertical, and only as long as the sides were straight. Once the side becomes even slightly bent, then crunch, no strength at all.

Graphite racket frames are similar. They can take a lot of punishment if the stress is evenly spread around the head, but as soon as it's uneven, a pretty minor clash can destroy an expensive racket.

20. TrunkZ69

TrunkZ69 Regular Member

Student
    Answers to your questions.

1. Same, depends on how good you really are :) . If your strong enough, the difference should be minimal. Depends on the weight of the rackets too.

2. Same, depends on how good you really are :) . If your control is good, it should be good with almost any racket as long as your strings are constant.

3. Same as any other racket, when it breaks it breaks. Durability is very hard to compare especailly since the rackets are new. I personally only have broken rackets in huge clashes. Never tiny ones.