Edmonton Alberta Places to Play

Discussion in 'Canada West' started by Hugo, Jul 28, 2004.

1. Hugo

Hugo Regular Member

Electrical Engineer
    I realized that as I move to Edmonton this September, I still know nothing about the badminton scene in this city. Therefore, I would greatly appreciate it if any BF residents of the city/expatriats (you know who you are!!) could give me as much info as possible (locations/addresses, costs, times of operation, play level, websites, etc) on some drop-ins, clubs, or any other places to play in Edmonton. Locations near the U of A would definitely be helpful.

My play level is at best average and I only seak a place to play occasionally.

Thanks.

2. mtakako

mtakako Regular Member

A good place is at the University itself. You can either play at E19 or join the education badminton club. The Education badminton club plays every friday at the Education gym for couple of hours. Other than that, there is lots of other clubs in the city also.

3. cappy75

cappy75 Regular Member

Depot Support Representative
    Heh! That's the U of A Badminton Club to you, mtakako:D! Yeah, the club runs on one day of the week only and has two cool bunch of people to hang out with. The core regulars play socially and hangout in restaurants after friday sessions. The other group (which mtakako belongs:p) are more baddy intensive ones who also play at E19 on other days. Check out your U of A Recreation Activity Guide for more information.

There's also a variety of clubs around Edmonton under an umbrella organization (Edmonton District Badminton Association or E.D.B.A.). Google it for more info on its member clubs. There's also another club that plays out of Commonwealth Stadium. Most clubs plays with nylon shuttles.

If you're looking for feather'ed games, there's Royal Glenora, Derrick Club and Red Willow in St. Albert:).

4. Hugo

Hugo Regular Member

Electrical Engineer
    Thanks for the info fellas. The RG, Derrick and Red Willow are not within my scope!!:)

Is there any baddy at the butterdome?? Or is that the same building as E19???

5. mg27

mg27 Regular Member

Hey Hugo:

If you're a student you can play in the Butterdome (Pavillion) or E-19. Just make sure you carry your One Card with you at all times as players have been checked to see if they're legitimate students that paid their athletic fees. They'll have a schedule on the campus rec website to tell you when the gym will be available for badminton. Don't remember how many courts are in the butterdome (maybe 4?) but the surface is not hardcourt. I wouldn't want to slide on that type of floor (but to each their own).

At E-19 there are 4 hard courts. And if you join the U of A Badminton club on Fridays, there are 7 hard-courts.

As Cappy said before, if you want more playing time, then check the EDBA (Edmonton District Badminton Association) website.

As an aside: the EDBA had an EDBA night scheduled once a week (last year it was Thursday night 9 - 10:30 PM). If you joined any EDBA club (U of A Badminton club included), then you could go play at an EDBA night for free at Grant McEwant Community in downtown. The only negative is that 1.5 hours isn't a lot of playing time and there are only 4 courts. So you take your chances in going. It used to be at least 2 hours long, but for some reason last year it got cut down to 1.5 hrs.

Anyways, maybe I'll you if you join the Friday club.

MG27

6. mg27

mg27 Regular Member

Hugo:

Actually, E-19 is a small gym and the Butterdome/Pavillion is the yellow steel building where it houses an indoor running track, tennis courts in the middle and badminton courts on the side, with seating on the side. E-19 is part of the Van Vliet Centre that's connected to the Butterdome.

The education gym is located in the Education building with 7 courts (about a 2 minute walk outside from E-19.

MG

7. Hugo

Hugo Regular Member

Electrical Engineer
    mg27, thanks for the info.

I will definitely have to check out those places around the U when I get there! Perhaps we can have some games too (just be prepared to NOT get a workout against me though!!).

8. Tough Love

Tough Love New Member

The Royal Genlora(sp?) is also pretty close to the Uni...Its no that big though, 5 courts, and its usually full. Not expectly the court u wanna go to...The membership is also very expensive.

The butterdome is probably the best for you.

9. Hugo

Hugo Regular Member

Electrical Engineer
    Yeah, for the past couple months, I've been playing either at the Pavillion or at the Friday Night Club.... have not gone to E-19 yet as I heard it's ridiculously crowded in there.

Hopefully, I've already played/seen some of u BFers in those places.

10. baaam

baaam Regular Member

hey does any one know any badminton camps for the summer of 2005 somewhere in Alberta??

11. Kenny

Kenny Regular Member

High School
    Hey baaaam, ya there are quite a few summer badminton camps in 2005..depends on your age..how old are you? IF you are under the age of 18 i know badminton alberta has alot of summer camps,(i go to most of them). Umm you can check them out at www.badmintonalberta.ca , i don't think the information on summer camps is up yet, but it will be in the next month or so. They hold live in camps and just day camps...live in is usually in Olds and day camps are in both Calgary and Edmonton. Also i know that RG in edmonton has a training camp for more "serious" badminton players. Its high intensity, it says so right on their application form that you should be read to run etc. If you go to Olds maybe we'll see each other =)

12. baaam

baaam Regular Member

hey kenny im 13 how old are you??i was thinking about going to a INDOOR badminton camp...kinda like a summer camp(you know like you stay there for like half the summer and get food and sleep there)im an average player can do clears, drop shots, sometimes smashes

13. Kenny

Kenny Regular Member

High School
    baaaam, I am 16. Im not too sure about camps where you stay for half of the summer. The ones i have been to there was one where you stayed for 5 days in the dorms at the college. The rest you have to have a place to live for day camps. If your an average player i think you should try out the badminton alberta summer camps. There are times where the physical training is very demanding though.

14. greenberg

greenberg Regular Member

Businessman
    Badminton at Edmonton

Hi Everyone ! Want to know if there are any Badminton groups in Edmonton for older players like 30 and above.

Might be moving there next year from the Philippines and would like to check if there are similar groups over there.

Our group of about twenty men and some women play at least three times a week with age ranges are from twenty to forties, but quite passionate about the game.

Our levels I'd say are ranging from level B and C and we sometimes train with a pro to bring up our games.

How does playing with nylon shuttles affect the game ?

We have never played with nylon here in the Philippines.

Thanks.

15. wedgewenis

wedgewenis Regular Member

I've been living in Edmonton for 7 months

I've played only once.... at the E19 ... the schedual is normally only Friday and Sunday - its fine there but they dont play feather. it doesn't fit my work schedual

the butterdome courts are kind of a joke for a gym of that quality.

when I called the Derrick club they told me there was no evening badminton - and I would have to sign up for lessons. I asked if there was a club and they said only for members... and I asked if I could drop in and the answer was no.

16. greenberg

greenberg Regular Member

Businessman
    Badminton at Edmonton

Thanks Wedgewenis,

Will have to get my kids interested in the game to be able to play then.

Will let you know when I do get there.

Maybe we can get a game together.

Regards !

17. cjred028

cjred028 New Member

Caregiver
    Tournament in Edmonton

Hi is anyone of you who are interested to join a badminton tournament this May in edmonton!
    im looking for a partner if anyone is interested!
    Thank you!

18. greenberg

greenberg Regular Member

Businessman
    Hi cjred028,

Am based in Edmonton now, but have not played in two years :) where is the tournament ?

19. cjred028

cjred028 New Member

Caregiver
    Its okay!
    in Wagner High School on 19th and 20th of May!
    are u interested to join!

20. cjred028

cjred028 New Member

Caregiver
    are you interested to join!we can be partners!
    its on Wagner high school!