Prince MORE 85/87. Anyone tried?

Discussion in 'Badminton Rackets / Equipment' started by Courbet, Jul 30, 2004.

1. Courbet

Courbet Regular Member

Just wondering if anyone has tried any of the MORE racquets by Prince, the ones fused by the two pieces instead of holes being drilled etcetc.
    Do you really notice the xtra control and power? How, overall does the racquet perform?
    I was interested in buying one, and just wanted to know the opinion of other who have tried them.

Thx for any input guys

Courbet

2. Courbet

Courbet Regular Member

Ok so I guess no one has tried either the MORE M+85 or the 87. What a shame! It is on sale at Centralsports.co.uk for around £80. Liek already mentioned, the technology involved sounds exellent.

I checked the Princebadminton web site but the buggas havent updated it since 2002 or so. Blah. Cmon ppl, anyone>?

3. LazyBuddy

LazyBuddy Regular Member

Engineer
    1. Such and such high tech being metioned might NOT be a big boost in everyone's performance. Never have to metion a lot of cases it's just a "market strategy" to let the buyer feel "less $$$ for high tech" means "willing to spend $$$".

2. 80 pounds is a lot of money, as you might have a huge selection in racket shopping, via different brands / models.

3. Web site never updated since 2 yrs ago? Well, now, we know it's not our (buyer) fault to not know of it. :p

4. Courbet

Courbet Regular Member

Yay a reply!!!! Thankyou LazyBuddy!

Yeah I thought about that marketing strategy too, but on the other hand it does sound so so interesting. I asked centralsports.co.uk if they could give me a playtest review of the racket or if they still send out 'tester' rackets, but for some reason they do neither, which is a bit disappointing, and I think their new web-site doesnt look all that funky. mmm.

And yes, £80 is alot of money, but still cheaper than Armourtec 700 or 800, which retail at around 100. And Prince kinda caught my eye cause its different, not many people seem to use them much and their ugly y shaped rackets look kinda better the more you look at them. (a bit like looking at the Fiat Multipla a long time hehe)

Anyone else out there who has actually used either the M+85 or 87?

5. jeffreyk

jeffreyk Regular Member

I'm also wandering....can a fused 2-piece be stronger than a single piece? I have my doubts :)

I've a friend who is using it but I've yet to try out myself. Will let u know if I've the chance to try it :)

6. Courbet

Courbet Regular Member

Wahay! Yeah that would be great Jeffreyk! Steal it and cherish it and never give it back! Erm dont go that far, but do ask him if you could just try it for a game or two, and let me know the results.

Thanks alot dude!

7. Courbet

Courbet Regular Member

Still searching the web for a review of either racket, but most companies who sell badminton stuff online dont even offer the M+85 or 87, the highest grade Prince they have is the 2 yr old TTT Warrior. mmm.
    And the reviews section on this forum isnt exactly expansive; I dont see any Browning rackets mentioned at all. I use a Big Gun Ti myself and I think its a pretty descent racket.

8. Courbet

Courbet Regular Member

Aww

Looks like Jeffreyk still hasnt had a chance to test the Prince racket from his friend :(
    I got a reply from a mail-order company who I asked about it (not central sports but the other big one in UK) and they said the flex would be much lower because of the Y shape which of c decreases the length of the shaft. The control should be improved quite a bit, but I wouldnt notice much increase in the power-stakes.
    Still I think I will probably get one in the next couple of weeks, play with a m,ore alternative racket than the Yonex following public.

:p

Still of any of you has platested this racket I would appreciate your thoughts as you could give me a more honest opinion than a marketing salesperson.

9. Courbet

Courbet Regular Member

Hehe I couldnt help myself and decided to buy one anyways. I went for the More 87, mainly because it is cheaper and slightly heavier.

Speaking of heaviness, erm, for some reason it seems as light as my mums slazenger which suposedly weighs in at 80g. Oh well :p

I must say that I am really pleased I bought the racquet. Firstly, it looks different with the y joint and the half black half silver paintjob, and I really didnt want another Yonex, as the 88 really didnt suit me. Secondly, the grommetless frame does add alot to the 'feel' of my shots I think; I certainly have more control. (however the tension is slightly higher than on my previous racquet so that factor may contribute) as for the claimed power increase, there is little difference there although it certainly hasnt gone down.

Overall I must say that Prince have done a very nice job with this racquet, it was worth the money, and I just wish they would update their website, as they have no information nor advertizing compaign to speak of.

Just thought I would share my thoughts.

10. crosstrainer

crosstrainer Regular Member

IT consultant
    too bad i just caught this thread. I've tried the racket a few weeks ago. It seems that prince is a little more pro-active here in the Philippines... they actually lent me 3 rackets to use over the weekend then.

anways, i wrote this review for www.pinoybadminton.com, a local badminton discussion forum. my handle there is chewychua

First Impressions:

This racket has been, for quite some time, the apple of my eye. Glossy black on matte black, this darth-vader inspired racket is very hard to resist. First thing that you'll notice is that there are no grommets whatever. Second thing you'll notice is that the racket is made up of 2 halves, hence once side is glossy and the other, matte. Finally, it's price: Php7,500.00 - it's not easy to miss. (roughly 100 pesos to one sterling pound)

Palo-Palo (warm up lobs) Impressions:

I have to admit that i'm not a big fan of stock Prince strings (or for any other stock strings for that matter. They're usually designed for durability, and that's bad news for me. I like my strings extra thin and repellent. Knowing this, I knew that the palo-palo experience of the More+85 will not be something i'm going to rave about, but I was proven half wrong.

This head heavy racket seems to be designed for one thing: POWER. This is most apparent when you hit your first clear with it. No "whapack" sound, just a muffled shot. But the distance and the flight of the shuttlecock will surprise you.

Game Time Impressions:

Skeptic again of the controllability of stock strings, I picked up the racket for a light mixed doubles game. What first struck me is how maneuverable the racket is. Head heavy, yet maneuverable. The gimmicky thumb grip on the cone of the handle proved useful, if not whimsical.

Too bad the strings don't agree with me - my touch shots are all way off. Not wanting to adjust to the stock strings, I went back to my older RSL racket to finish the set.

Verdict:

To be honest, this is a too-high priced racket for me. At Php7,500 bucks, I was expecting (pun intended) MORE from this racket. I'm not quite sure where the racket is lacking, but I'm sure changing the strings to something thinner, like a nice gosen pro66 @ 24lbs will make this a better racket.

I'll reserve my score for this till I get to try a specimen with thinner strings.

11. Courbet

Courbet Regular Member

nice to hear a viewpoint on the racquet. Thx for the input Crosstrainer.

Concerning the power of the MORE, I have just thought about my previous response again, in which I said that I noticed little difference, however this impression may indeed be due to the dull sounds it makes as it strikes the shuttle.
    To be honest my clears are as far back as ever, except it doesnt 'feel' as though they are. Dunno its a bit hard to describe. Same for smashes.

I must say that I still feel my control is way better.

Very valid point however concerning the strings. Once my factory strings snap I will see how it plays with some BG 66 or something, dunno, depends on what the local restringer has in stock.

12. xiao_yi

xiao_yi Regular Member

Student
    Hi Courbet,

I actually just bought an MP99 for over $200AUD and I feel totally ripped off. It doesnt have the same feeling of "reach" that that my old Prince Axis 63 I was using before had. I loved that racquet, wish I heard about these new Prince racquets sooner.

How would you compare your old MP88 to the M-87? Do you notice any difference in the sweet spot? Specifically does it feel closer to you than before or farther?

Thanks.

#12 xiao_yi, Sep 25, 2004
    Last edited: Sep 25, 2004
  13. Courbet

Courbet Regular Member

Hi Xiao_Yi

I have had a few weeks to play with my More 87 now and I must say I am really getting into it now. To be perfectly honest I never liked the MP88 all that much anyway; just didnt seem to have all that much power and I just generally dont like the very slim build Yonex use for their racquets - I held a AT800DE the other day and to be honest I wasnt impressed much. Felt far too flimsy. (4u)

I still have factory strings on the More87 @ approx 20pounds, but to be honest they seem to do the job alright. My net play has improved tremendously, there is no vibration even on off centre hits, and yet you can guide the bird exactly where you want it. The racquet also feels lighter than the stated 87g, but perhaps this is due to the exellent balanced feel. Powerwise, it certainly produces, though perhaps I was expecting and unreasonable level of power increase. Perhaps my smashing technique isnt the best - could have somethign to do with that panhandle grip of mine haha!

As concerns the sweet spot, I seem to hit it alot of the time. It is certainly bigger than my Big Gun iso sweet spot and far bigger than Carlotn Boron Classic sweetspot. If you play alot of doubles I would certainly recommend this racquet; the paint job is top notch, the cover is very nice, and overall it just seems to merit the price. In singles it is still a good beast, though my base to base clearing could be better. Not quite sure what you mean with 'does it feel closer to me' but I must say that i feel in control of my destiny so to speak; the 87 feels like an extension of my arm, it goes where I tell ti to go, and any mistakes or wood hits are due to my lack of skill.

If you want some pics etc PM me.

Regards

Courbet

#13 Courbet, Sep 26, 2004
    Last edited: Sep 26, 2004
  14. naraen

naraen Regular Member

Sr Management
    Any More Reviews ?

Hi !!

I would like to know if anybody else has also tried this racket. I would like to question him/her - Would you put your Money on this Racket again ?

Thanks & Regards
    Naraen

15. japankobe1

japankobe1 Regular Member

would any one say that this racquet feels head heavey? i love the head heavy feel. anyone thinking no grommets could cause the string to break earlier?

16. naraen

naraen Regular Member

Sr Management
    Of course the racket is Head Heavy, hence, generates great power. The String does not break because of lack of Gromets

17. 6oclock

6oclock Regular Member

none =(
    actually i have a more +XL and the strings are fraying...so i think it does contribute...

overall i like this racket but it cracked slightly when i lent it to a friend and i dont want to break it so i havent used it in months =S

tis a crying shame as i rly LOVED this racket =(

18. waihongshek

waihongshek New Member

Accounts
    hi i have one of these racket prince more +87
    very good control but i dont use it anymore, do you want to buy it off me?
    i now use ashaway as more flexible as am a female player prefer to play at the net.
    wai