NEWS : Comeback kids aim to win gold for their coach

Discussion in 'Olympics ATHENS 2004' started by seven, Aug 2, 2004.

1. seven

seven New Member

Computing Engineer
    [size=-1]The Star Online > Sports[/size]
    Sunday August 1, 2004
    [size=+2]Comeback kids aim to win gold for their coach[/size]

KUALA LUMPUR: It will be one of the greatest comeback stories for Malaysian badminton if one of the men’s doubles pairs win a gold medal at the Athens Olympic Games from Aug 13-29.

And the medal looks a distinct possibility going by the determination of the two top pairs - Choong Tan Fook-Lee Wan Wah and Chan Chong Ming-Chew Choon Eng - in their run-up to the Games.

Tan Fook-Wan Wah, who were both bugged by knee injuries, were on the brink of being dropped from the national team in 2003. But national doubles chief coach Yap Kim Hock gave them a lifeline by giving them a six-month period to regain their form.

They came through with flying colours. In just a year, they reached three Open finals (Hong Kong, China and All-England), bagged the Vietnam SEA Games doubles gold, emerged as the Malaysian Open champions and are currently ranked second in the world.

Wan Wah, who went through a knee operation to revive his badminton career after the Thomas Cup Finals in Guangzhou, recalled the rough days.

“I went for the operation because I wanted another shot at winning a medal at the Olympic Games. I would have retired if not for that desire in me. Fortunately, I had the support from my parents, family, friends and also coach Yap,†said the 30-year-old Wan Wah.

“Besides being a coach, Yap is also my friend. He had gone through a similar ordeal (an operation for a shoulder injury) and he understood my predicament. It was consoling that he could understand my needs and supported me.

“It was a tough time, I had to use crutches to walk and the pain was unbearable. But I persevered because I knew what I wanted – a shot at winning a medal in the Olympics.â€

Wan Wah and Tan Fook lost in the bronze medal playoff to South Koreans Kim Dong-moon-Ha Tae-kwon at the Sydney Olympic Games four years ago.

Unlike Wan Wah, Tan Fook did not go for an operation. But he had to undergo rehabilitation at the National Sports Council (NSC) to heal his nagging knee injury.

“It was a tough time. I was very frustrated because I could not give my best with the knee problem. In early 2003, we (Wan Wah and I) were not able to compete in several tournaments and our ranking almost reached 50. The hope of going for another Olympics seemed bleak then. But we just did not want to give up hope.â€

A shoulder injury almost put paid to Chong Ming’s hopes of playing in his first Olympics with partner Choon Eng.

He was out for five months since October last year. He returned in March but his performances were not promising.

“The five-month rehabilitation was a struggle. But I was confident I could make a comeback and win a ticket to the Olympics. But I got so worried when there were poor results (they were early round casualties at the Swiss Open, All-England, Korean Open and Japan Open).

“My shoulder was still a bother and I could not give my best.

“I thought my dream was over after the French Open (March), where we failed to win the title. But after two months of trying, we somehow made the cut for the Olympics.

“Now, all I think of is winning a medal for the country,†said Chong Ming.

His partner Choon Eng was a worried man when they finally booked a place for the Olympics.

“Our semi-final finish at the Asian Badminton Championships certainly helped. But after qualifying, I was miserable. I did not want to go to Athens as a mere passenger. Chong Ming improved and my confidence grew. Now, we are going to challenge for a medal,†he said.

The doubles players have been training diligently since making the cut for the Games. They, however, will take a short break today to attend their coach’s wedding.

And what could be a better wedding present for Kim Hock than glory at the Olympics.