1/2 Smashes

Discussion in 'Techniques / Training' started by Wins, Jun 9, 2001.

1. Wins

Wins Regular Member

student
    i keep doing smashes at around at the middle point . how do i ensure i can smash at the distance i want?? like i say 1/2 court or back court??

2. Phil

Phil Guest

For me, the more I get "on top of the bird," the more steep it is, which makes it more in the front of the court. As for pushing them towards the back of the court, I use less "down" motion, and more "push" motion. It's kind of weird to explain.

3. viver

viver Regular Member

As you know in smash the contact point is in front of you. Try varying this contact point by positioning yourself accordingly behind the shuttle - e.g. if your usual contact point is 50 cm in front, change it to say 40 cm and see where your shot land. Please note distance measurements are not correct, just an example to try to explain my point.

4. Gladius

Gladius Regular Member

Design Engineer
    Hmm...

Hi Wins,

Well, for me, you've seen me play right? I don't have such exacting methods of doing a smash really. Guess I forgot all about it over the years. Its more like " look, look at opponent, aim, and hit it where you think you want it to go"

Sounds so much like rubbish huh ... ?? Sorry about that, but its true that I've forgotten how I really do it. My smashes ain't fantastic really,but it usually ends up within a feet or 2 of where I want it to land. Pending mis-hits that is. ( that's about 10-30%)

To get started, learn how to smash, thats how I was told literally. Put in about 60% power while smashing with sparring partner.Use only half a court. First thing to do is learn how to 'pull' the shuttle down while smashing. Making it as steep as possible and as low over the net as possible. Do that with 60% strength. Then when you get consistency, slowly increase your power input and try to achieve that again. Then vary your strength at will and try to achieve that to a level of consistency again.

When you're finally done, which take about at least 3-4hours of solid training, unless of course you're some 'born' prodigy, try aiming.

Yes, 'aiming' , don't think about 'how' you want to hit the shuttle, think about 'where' you want it to go. Aim at the lines, see where the shuttle lands. Then change sides. Then change sides at will. see if you can get the required level of consistancy there.

Point to note is that, you need to have a certain level of wrist power and control to do that consistantly. Hence, its advisable to do weight training exercises to strengthen your arm and wrist while trying to achieve that. It will help you get there that little bit faster. Also, it will help prevent injuries.

5. May

May Guest

HARD QUESTION U HAVE HERE

dunno much abt this since i'm more likely to pressure my opponent with low flat shots, but according to my coach, ur smash would be steeper the taller u r, and the shorter u r, the further the shuttle moves(to the back of the court).