User Tag List

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Smile Apology

Quote Originally Posted by Loh
    I'm not sure about this and would appreciate if Fook90 (himself) could please state your position to clear the air.
    I am sorry. I dun wan to piss anyone anymore. Could you guys take it that I have not said anything ?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hmm people are so rude. We are here to share ideas

''for how many years have you been sleeping''

I don't think this statement was necessary. Very disapointed to see those kind of argument from a Bf'er...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

how come i have this funny feeling this thread is g2 be blocked or something...

RICHMOND BC...ne hot girls from richmond that plays badminton pm me ~_^
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by New_Guy04
    how come i have this funny feeling this thread is g2 be blocked or something...
    it cannot be block
    it can only be lock
    but it probably wont be lock because its a thread discussing the olympics

Mentioned
    54 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

guys and gals. the number one thing to remember when discussing is to respect each other's opinion as well as passion. we are here because we share the same love for the game of badminton.

cheers.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

For your information, although Ronald is Indonesia-born, he is a Singapore Citizen and should be treated as a Singaporean. It is unkind of you to categorize Ronald otherwise.
    I take a different view Singaporean Citizenship is a thing he possesses, not something he is. Place of birth, also, is a label, or a piece of data to describe someone. It's not who or what they are.

Is Pi Hong Yan Chinese? Is Irwanseh Welsh?

But in everyday life we take shortcuts.
    e.g.
    "I am Neil Nicholls" instead of "My name is Neil Nicholls"
    "I am 5 foot 9" instead of "My height is 5 foot 9 inches"

Anyway, this is way off topic. And similar to that old ABC thread about whether you are Chinese or not.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Neil Nicholls
    I take a different view Singaporean Citizenship is a thing he possesses, not something he is. Place of birth, also, is a label, or a piece of data to describe someone. It's not who or what they are.

Is Pi Hong Yan Chinese? Is Irwanseh Welsh?

But in everyday life we take shortcuts.
    e.g.
    "I am Neil Nicholls" instead of "My name is Neil Nicholls"
    "I am 5 foot 9" instead of "My height is 5 foot 9 inches"

Anyway, this is way off topic. And similar to that old ABC thread about whether you are Chinese or not.
    Sure I agree with you to some extent as you can't change the colour of your skin, for example. But in the big stage such as the Olympics, when you are sponsored by a particular country and you fly that country's flag, you represent that country although you may be bred and born elsewhere.

If Ronald should win a medal, it will be under Singapore's name, not Indonesia's. That is why in this instance, it will be wrong to put Ronald in the same category as the Indonesians, no disrespect to them of course. It will also be the same treatment for all other athletes who compete under their adopted country's name. And if Ronald wins the gold, he will be richly rewarded by Singapore, not Indonesia.

Anyway Ronald's case has been discussed at some length in this Forum and so have been the pros and cons of having foreign talents as well. I guess we have to let the matter rest for now.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Sure I agree with you to some extent as you can't change the colour of your skin, for example. But in the big stage such as the Olympics, when you are sponsored by a particular country and you fly that country's flag, you represent that country although you may be bred and born elsewhere.

If Ronald should win a medal, it will be under Singapore's name, not Indonesia's. That is why in this instance, it will be wrong to put Ronald in the same category as the Indonesians, no disrespect to them of course. It will also be the same treatment for all other athletes who compete under their adopted country's name. And if Ronald wins the gold, he will be richly rewarded by Singapore, not Indonesia.

Anyway Ronald's case has been discussed at some length in this Forum and so have been the pros and cons of having foreign talents as well. I guess we have to let the matter rest for now.

Ronald is Singaporean, and we should respect that.
    I am not Singaporean (I am Malaysian actually) but I think what Singapore has done is good. Ronald would not have had the same opportunities if he had remained in Indonesia, but Singapore offered him a home and all the facilities for him to become a respectable player. Indonesians should feel proud like the Brazilians for football instead of feeling upset. If Ronald had not become a world class player, I don't think there would be so much attention attracted.
    Let's drop this issue now and embrace the spirit of Olympics....everyone is equal.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by wl2172
    Ronald is Singaporean, and we should respect that.
    I am not Singaporean (I am Malaysian actually) but I think what Singapore has done is good. Ronald would not have had the same opportunities if he had remained in Indonesia, but Singapore offered him a home and all the facilities for him to become a respectable player. Indonesians should feel proud like the Brazilians for football instead of feeling upset. If Ronald had not become a world class player, I don't think there would be so much attention attracted.
    Let's drop this issue now and embrace the spirit of Olympics....everyone is equal.
    just to add my two cents worth - lilian thuram and zinedine zidane were not born french but when they lifted the world cup in 1998, no one had questioned their frenchness. that's why the Singaporean government has no problem embracing foreign-born talents as one of their own.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by SE1992
    just to add my two cents worth - lilian thuram and zinedine zidane were not born french but when they lifted the world cup in 1998, no one had questioned their frenchness. that's why the Singaporean government has no problem embracing foreign-born talents as one of their own.
    i don't think that it's a good example LoL , because Lilian thuram and zidane both of them were borned and raised in france LoL

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Syaoran_Style
    i don't think that it's a good example LoL , because Lilian thuram and zidane both of them were borned and raised in france LoL
    oops - should have checked my facts first.

thanks for correcting me

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

If we want to continue this line of discussion we should start a new thread really...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by SE1992
    oops - should have checked my facts first.

thanks for correcting me
    No problem, we got the idea!
    I think Patrick Vieira is from Senegal in the first place but I'm not really sure.

And... well the are some people who DO criticize the french team for being "multi-racial", but these are just poor idiots!
    (I only criticize them for being "spoilt stars"! )

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by kwun
    let's look at this another way, who actually have an easy draw? i think Bao's quarter is easier, but neither Park nor Roslin are easy knock over either.

what Wai Shing said made me realized, this is the Olympics, all the best players in the world are there, there will hardly be any easy draw!

it will be exciting indeed for us badminton fans. cannot wait!
    I agree most of the world's best players are on display. But a few are from countries which do not have a strong tradition in the sport but are included not based on their World Ranking, rather as a matter of IBF's new policy to promote the game to as many countries in as many continents, a policy which I whole heartily support for the good of world badminton.

These players, who have a chance to join the cream of young people from all over the world at the Athens Olympics, were given precedence over even great players like Xia Xuanze of China and they come from relatively 'badminton weak' countries like Spain, South Africa, Poland, Norway and Finland. But let's hope in time to come, such countries will be a force to reckon with in future and the badminton game will take on a firmer root - all for the betterment of world badminton!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by hcyong
    There is no doubting that there is no easy draw for anyone but ...

My opinion is that because this is a very high-ranking event (7* I think), players should be seeded to 16, not just 8. Especially when it is 32-draw event and that there are some fringe players around. Ronald Susilo, Roslin Hashim and Kenneth Jonassen/Chen Hong will probably go out in Round 1. Meanwhile Sergio Llopis, Richard Vaughan and Bjoern Joppien (with all due respect) have all the chance to make it to the last 16 in a 7* tournament.

And Peter Gade has an easy ride to the quarters so he will be relatively rested against Taufik/Choon Hann, while poor Chen Hong has not a single easy day.

I agree with your assessment. With all due respect, players like Sergio Llopis, Richard Vaughan and Bjoern Joppien should not have easier paths if players like Choon Hann, Chen Hong and Lin Dan should struggle in the initial rounds.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Lin Dan vs Susilo

Game 1 started and scoeline shows 3-3

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Susilo no Pushover

Well I did say that Ronald Susilo of Singapore is no pushover. He just won the first game 15-12 against Lin Dan.

Ronald attacked the left-handed Lin's backhand and it paid dividends. And Ronald was able to withstand most of the smashes of Lin and really frustrated him.

And Ronald is now confortably leading 9-4 in th second game. I'm afraid the younger Lin is showing signs of fatigue which is good for Ronald, who himself is tiring from this great effort.

An upset seems to be in the making provided the older Ronald can last the distance.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast