Where is the string service in London region?

Discussion in 'UK' started by Pina Colada, Aug 9, 2004.

1. Pina Colada

Pina Colada Regular Member

Student
    hello guys,

i just moved to london a week ago. now looking for a badminton string service in local area, or somewhere near london.

would anyone kindly let me know if you have such information? thanks very much!

2. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

wannabe badminton phototaker
    London, UK, is a pretty big place. It can take more than a couple of hours to travel from one side to the other. Perhaps you can give us a better clue as to your whereabouts:)

3. Pina Colada

Student
    To Cheung

you are certainly right. i like in the west london. i am willing to travel 1 or 2 hours from one side to the other, as long as i can get a badminton string service. :cool:

4. UkPlayer

UkPlayer Regular Member

Academic
    No need to travel that far. I don't know what happened to their website but try Ealing Sports: 7 The Mall, Uxbridge Road, Ealing, W5 2PJ. Give them a call 020 8579 6536 .They should be able to sort it out. Let us know how you get on :)

#4 UkPlayer, Aug 9, 2004
    Last edited: Aug 9, 2004
  5. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

Can't remember who but somewhere in the back of my mind there is something that says Ealing Sports is closed down. BUt do check yourself.

Anyway, worth having a look. Go to Ealing Broadway station, turn left and walk down the hill to the traffic lights. Turn left along Uxbridge Road and it's along the parade of shops on the left hand side. :)

LOL, why is somebody in HK giving instructions to get around in London? :p

6. gerry

gerry Regular Member

stringer

There's always wembley sports at wembley broadway, failing that pm me and I can put you in contact with my stringer, if you are in the west london area this week he can do it for you easily as he is helping me at a badminton summer school that I'm coaching.

7. Pina Colada

Student
    thank you to you all, guys!

thank you to UKplayer, Cheung and Jerry. you're soooooooo helpful!:)

i'm going to check on ealing sport tomorrow or the day after. in fact i roughly know where it is, cos i study at the university where not very far from the station. i will just have to take a close look at the parade of shops, i guess. i will let you guys know how it goes.

by the way, do you guys know any badminton court around 'W' area, perhaps around ealing? cheers!:D

8. jhl

jhl Regular Member

You can also try Gefen Sports at Kensal Rise. They have a website. I believe Wembley (Sports?) is another place where mates of mine used to go.

The easiest way to find a court is to check the local council's website but availability is not great. There are various groups playing in London with different atmosphere and playing ability. Just look around. From a few years back, there is a nice one that plays in Camden (Sun mornings I believe) run by a very friendly lady called June.

9. Wizbit

Wizbit Regular Member

Testing ladie's lingerie
    Yes Cheung you have a very good memory ;)

Ealing Sports of Ealing, has indeed closed. I can think of 2 places where you can get stringing from in that area.

1) VJ Sports (I think), Bond street in Ealing.

2) A sports shop in West Ealing, opposite the pizza hut.

They do charge 'high street' prices though.

When travelling past whitecity I have seen the Yonex UK building, I am wondering if they offer a service there or not. I guess they don't import the racquets in prestrung...but then again, the labour is much cheaper in Asia :rolleyes:

10. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

Gefen is a bit tricky to get to by public transport.

Wembley Sports is easier - just take the no. 83 to wembley. The bus stops a short distance to the shop. But the journey does take nearly an hour so don't go in rush hour;)

There are various places to play in Ealing/Acton/Greenford. Ring up the local sports centres and ask if they have local badminton clubs with regular bookings. Then get the contact details, or just turn up.
    Before webpages and internet, there was a book called 'Yellow Pages' to find telephone numbers:)

11. yippo888

yippo888 Regular Member

Therapy Radiographer
    Really good guy

There is this really good stringer in bristol, even if u live in london it's worth sending it first class special delievery to get it dont by this guys, he did the best job i've ever seen. After he strung it i imediately played so much better and as a result im now always in debt to his skills. ok, ill tell u who it is, it's the guy @ Venom Sports near eastern leisure centre, oposite the swiming pool along stapleton road, seriously you can't go wrong w/ this guy, every shoe u can imagine is there in every size, no ordering required, u get it there and then, just great, seriously go there, u won't b sorry.:D

12. sslam72

sslam72 Regular Member

Sticking with Gefen

I'll stick with Gefen.

Israel and Adrian have provided me with top class stringing for years.

If you're based over in West London it'll be easy to get over there.

I still drive a 13 mile round trip to get mine done.