Experienced stringers, please tell me

Discussion in 'Badminton Stringing Techniques & Tools' started by kong-19, Aug 10, 2004.

1. kong-19

kong-19 Regular Member

casual worker and stringer
    2 weeks ago, I strung a friend`s MP 90 (JP) version at 26 lb with BG 66.
    He brought it to me after 11 pm that night cause he had to use it the next
    day for tournament. Last week, I met him. He told me that tension was a
    bit high. For good will & friend reason. I re-tension it down to 24.5 for free.
    The job comsumed much more time than to string a racket. One has to be
    very cautious to loose or to cut the knobs.
    On completion of the job, I re-position the strings as usual. Did not notice
    anything wrong with the racket. Returned to the owner 2 days later.

Last night, I met him on court. He used a cab for his first game. Then he
    wanted to test the re-tensioned racket. When he took it out off the
    cloth bag. He saw it cracked severly at the one o`clock position. Me too
    shocked, upon seeing the racket craked in that manner. He said, he did
    not checked it when I returned to him. I believe he did not damaged it &
    put the blame on me. Can`t explained how did it happen. Except structure
    failure. I can see that he was not happy over the incidence.
    But what else can I do ?

He has 2 MP 90 (JP). I strung them about 10 times from 22 lb, then increase
    to 24, 25 last to 26 lb with a 6 point support m/c.

Can`t say I am a very professional & experienced stringer. But have done
    approx 450 rackets in the past 3 years. To avoid misunderstanding among
    friendship. I don`t think I will string his second MP (JP) again. Unless he
    insists me to.

Wondering if any of the stringers here had encountered similar problems &
    how did you solve it.

2. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

wannabe badminton phototaker
    If the racquet is strung at above recommended tensions at request of the user, I believe the responsibilty rests on the user.

You have not given us details of how you strung the racquet and pattern which is necessary.

3. TheGr8Two

TheGr8Two Regular Member

Do you have a disclaimer, saying that you aren't responsible for racket damage if the tension is higher than rated?

Post a pic of the racket if you can, just so we can see it.

4. jug8man

jug8man Regular Member

MultiTasked guy, Stress Addict, Leisure Bum, mad c
    tho possible. i never tell my customers to re-tension a racquet. if the tension aint right just snap the old string off and string a new one.

its pretty safe to say that you aint got enough length to go by anymore and probably had to forgo some lines. the string is also a little twirled-up and prob wont (i think) give you the same feel after the re-tensioning.
    plus a good string job doesnt really need re-positioning. that goes to show something a-miss as well. you also sound like it was your first time re-tensioning. the crack could have happened during the 'extraction' of the string but if you didnt notice anything i dont think it did (unless you had waaayyy too muuch to drink or something)

did you re-tension the whole thing or just the crosses. i'll assume the whole thing.

but the fault could be on his part as well. one week is a long time and alot could happen. so dont be to hard on yourself.

my advice, dont re-tension racquets. unless its your own. its a difficult situation (if something goes wrong) especially when it happens to a friend of yours as you have just pointed out. plus its way too time consuming. but your friend does seems a little bit fussy about tension tho imo. if i was your friend and i asked you to string at 26lbs, i wouldnt ask you to re-tension or re-string for free. its like saying 'i dont like the big-mac i ordered, can you change it pls?'

good luck

5. bluejeff

bluejeff Regular Member

Developer
    Did he ask for the specific tension? Did he said "I what __ tension to be on this string on my racquet" ? If you have done nothing wrong in the string job ( I said "if" because I don't know, and he was the one asking for more than 25 pounds, then he has to take the risk that the racquet will be damaged for stringing.

MP90 JP 2U (other areas would be MP99) has only Yonex's recommended 23 pounds limit, so if you string it much higher than 23 (such as 26), it would just void the warranty and it's not stringer's fault when it cracked in stringing.

(If the one you mentioned is a 3U MP90, the recommended tension is even lower than 23)

6. taneepak

taneepak Regular Member

Designing and producing quality feather shuttlecoc
    Trying to recover strings that have been tensioned at 26 lbs is hazardous. It is penny wise, pound foolish. You would have been better off just cutting off the old strings and then restring with new strings. This way, you invest a little more but get to keep the goodwill.