NEWS: Susilo has fighting chance: Padukone

Discussion in 'Olympics ATHENS 2004' started by kwun, Aug 12, 2004.

1. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    [size=-1]The Straits Times[/size]

Susilo has fighting chance: Padukone

By Alvin Foo DO NOT write Ronald Susilo off just yet.

This was what former Indian badminton star Prakash Padukone had to say about Singapore's top shuttler's chances at the upcoming Olympic Games in Athens.

The 1980 All-England champion was in town on a two-day stopover en route to his hometown in Bangalore.

'It's unfortunate, it won't be easy, but it's not a hopeless situation,' said Padukone when he referred to Susilo's first-round clash with China's world No 1 Lin Dan.

'Susilo has beaten the top players before, and there's no reason why he can't do it again.

'In fact, all the pressure will be on Lin, who has to live up to his tag as the top seed.'

Padukone offered another perspective.

'Even though Lin's the top seed, he might not have got going yet. So it's better to get him out of the way at the beginning,' he said.

'Ultimately, if you want to win the title, you have to beat all the players, there is no two opinions about that.'

Though Padukone tips China's Chen Hong for the Olympic title, he said: 'It's very difficult to predict, especially in the men's singles. The difference at the top is very little. Nobody has dominated the men's scene in recent years.'

He had put Indian badminton on the world map with his historic victory over Indonesian Liem Swie King in the 1980 All-England final.

He followed that up by clinching the inaugural Alba World Cup title in 1981.

Here for a coaching clinic with the Singapore Sports School, he was impressed with its facilities.

'We need a system in place in India. Something like your sports school would be ideal,' he said.

But he added that India was hampered by its diversity in languages, food and culture in adopting a similar approach.

When asked what it would take to produce a world champion, he said: 'There's no magic formula, and just the facilities alone will not take you there. You need a player with the mental toughness who is willing to make the sacrifices as well.'

Blessed with movie-star looks, especially in his younger days, the 1.78m-tall Padukone said he had received no offers to star in a Bollywood movie.

'I have absolutely no interest in that,' he said.

Instead, the 49-year-old spends most of his time running his own badminton academy in Bangalore, nursing the hope of producing an Olympic champion by 2012.

Besides badminton, he has no other interests except listening to English pop and Hindi music.

'I regret that now because I need some other interests, especially since I have retired,' the self-confessed Lionel Ritchie fan said.

Despite being visibly tired, he looked lively when he posed for photos with students and gave them pointers round the court.

When asked where he was headed after the clinic, he quipped: 'Where else? To play more badminton.'

Such is his dedication to the game.

2. Fook90

Fook90 Regular Member

Student
    Susilo Can Win

I will not be shocked that Susilo may pull off a win against Lin Dan. He has great speed, stamina and most noticably his metal strength.

3. silvia

silvia Regular Member

I think i will be very SHOCKED if Ronald can really win against LIndan...

4. Loh

Loh Regular Member

Semi-Retired
    Lin Dan is now WR No.1. Ronald only No.9. On paper Ronald seems to have no chance. But we have seen upsets time and again, more recently at the Malaysia Open, where all the China players did not make it to the Final.

Furthermore, Ronald has beaten Lin before and therefore his confidence is not as bad as against Chen Hong, to whom he has lost all previous nine meetings. And Ronald enters the court as an underdog.

Bao Chulai has beaten Lin. Ronald has beaten both Bao and Lin before. So can it be shocking if Lin should lose to Ronald. No, surprise Yes!

But it will be a very tough fight because both want to win badly and for Ronald this may be his last chance at the Olympics. Lin may yet have another chance if he should lose. That is if China fails to produce more young players of Lin's calibre in another 4 years. Which seems unlikely for there are many already in line to become badminton stars. :)

5. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    i agree, there will never be certainty when it comes to badminton matches. and from what we can see in previous Olympics, it is especially the case during the Olympics. perhaps the environment really brings out the true ability of players.

two days to go before action starts. this build up of tension is unbearable!