Balance Points of OF and DE

Discussion in 'Badminton Rackets / Equipment' started by Feng_MP-100, Aug 12, 2004.

1. Feng_MP-100

Feng_MP-100 Regular Member

Student
    AT-800 OF and DE, which one is more head heavy, or same? Can someone tell me the balance point of each? Thx!

2. ladybird

ladybird Regular Member

3. rvfb

rvfb Regular Member

The OF is definitely heavier at the head although the DE is slightly head heavy too. If you balance the OF at the center of the shaft, note that the head will tilt more for the OF than the DE (w/out adding grips). Take note in the thread link indicated by ladybird above, what was not mentioned was that intalling grips (overlapping the original) will definitely affect the center of balance, so the weight will shift towards the back. However when playing the racket/s you will definitely feel the weight of the racket/s is more head heavy than others, therfore grip weight makes little significance, not unless its made of lead. :D

4. MarkinJapan

MarkinJapan Regular Member

kouchou sensei!
    See, I don't feel the OF is "definitely" head heavier than the DF. They are very close. Without getting out anything to balance them on (besides my finger) I found it hard to tell a "definite" difference. I have an OF and a DF both 4u JP with towel grips.

5. rvfb

rvfb Regular Member

I also have both OF 3u & DF 4u, country code TW. What I did was balance both rackets (w/original grips) on your finger and see if they both will balance at the same mark. While the DF was on balance, the OF still tilts forward, ergo, its head is heavier. Maybe its due to the code weight difference or probably manufacturer's variance but it came within its listed specs, so I'm guessing its alright. I once did own an OF 4u but decided to replace it with a 3u as its head felt more top heavy (though the 4u total weight is lighter than 3u) thereby awkward when played. The OF 3u I got felt more balanced, even if its slightly heavier than the 4u, but the feel of its head heaviness is slightly reduced and it plays much better/more balanced than the 4u (for me) and is good when playing singles or if a back player for doubles (OF reacts a bit slow on net plays, maybe shaft stiffness is part of the reason or is it just me?!).

For the DF, I felt that the head bounce is not as solid as the OF (try smashing) but definitely better for defensive returns. I too use towel grips and doing so somewhat diminishes the head heaviness as it adds another 10-15 grams on the grip, affecting the overall weight and balance. So I'll tell you what, let's hear from the others who also have both rackets and have them comment whether there's really a difference or not! What say you guys? :rolleyes:

6. bluejeff

bluejeff Regular Member

Developer
    I have been searching for 30 minutes but I couldn't find anywhere that provides you the balance points of AT 800 OF and DE.

I am looking for the balance point of:

AT 800 OF 3U
    AT 800 OF 4U
    AT 800 DE 3U
    AT 800 DE 4U

PS#1:please make you measurements in mm from the bottom of the racket.
    PS#2:please let us knowif you have strings or overgrips on the racket because they will affect the balance point measurements.

Thanks! :)