Breathing technique

Discussion in 'Techniques / Training' started by chibe_K, Aug 12, 2004.

1. chibe_K

chibe_K Regular Member

I was reading the article by Rudy Hartono from the new badmintoncentral.com website. One thing caught my attention was the breathing technique, it was only mentioned in the article as "Zul believes in four things: speed, good breathing, consistency and aggresivenes".

I could not find anything in General and Technique forums that talked about it, what does it really mean by good "breathing" technique to improve your performance, stamina...etc ?

2. IvanM

IvanM Regular Member

Breathing?

i agree the way to control breathing does help to reduce drainage of stamina

its like chinese kung fu

require breathing to be long and steady

3. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    actually, that's an interesting topic and i don't remember we've ever touched on it before in the forum. i am looking forward to some advice from more experienced players...

4. carlol

carlol Regular Member

entreprenuer
    my take on breathing.... dont have too much fun :p laughing even just a bit in the middle or end of a hard rally really takes a lot out of you. I can help but laugh a few times in a game when I'm playing with my regular group... :D

5. bluejeff

bluejeff Regular Member

Developer
    I sometimes talk to my partner during rallies.....so it's kind of hard to notice the breathing timings.

But I will pay attention to it tomorrow and see if I can come up with something.

6. aznphi1osopher

aznphi1osopher Regular Member

it seems like, when it gets really really hot in the gym breathin can be difficult especially after long rallys , i think breathin aids you in your game notjust staminina wise, but also in thinkin correctly. Proper breathin allows circulation of blood to flow more in your body , thus more oxygen , thus more energy. More energy = clearer mind and allows to u concentrate better.

7. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

wannabe badminton phototaker
    The only control I have is to try and delay the next rally as to get my breath back.:D

Anybody else got more constructive advice?

8. Neil Nicholls

Neil Nicholls Regular Member

It might have meant whether you should be breathing in or out when playing a shot.
    There are many sports where it is an advantage to be breathing out while you perform the critical action. The reasoning is that your muscles are more relaxed when breathing out than when breathing in. Holding the breath involves tensing muscles.

Definately applicable to archery and shooting, where a long shallow exhalation is used to reduce body movement.

Martial arts tend to have a more forceful exhalation.
    Tennis players have the grunts and groans.

So for badminton, maybe it is best to have a forceful exhalation for power shots, and a slow exhalation for delicate shots.

9. jamesd20

jamesd20 Moderator

Construction
    In sailing (more of a slow endurance sport) to sing whilst you are sailing along, as it means you breath properly. some people tend to hold their breath, then take quick out and in breaths. More suited to a sport where people cant hear you though. I cant imagine singing "new york newyork" whilst playing a tough game of badminton.

I do tend to sing when I run as well though. I find it helps.

I am intrested as to whether anyone has any practical advice. I dont think about it at all. After the rally I do make sure I breath slowly though. In through the nose, out through the mouth, making sure your lungs are fully filled and fully emptied. I woulnt know if this is correct though.

10. MakubeX

MakubeX Regular Member

My coach told me to take a quick deep breath before hitting the shuttle hard ( especially when doing clears or smashes), and release it while hitting the shuttle.
    for other shots, just follow your foot rhythm.
    Hope this helps... :)

11. chibe_K

chibe_K Regular Member

In the past, I noticed few players in my club did that. I was laughing at them instead and told my friends they were funny :p ...well, now I realize I was being ignorant and I should learn from them.

I will try out tomorrow morning and see it helps :D

12. William86_98

William86_98 Regular Member

Student
    yes..definitely a common techinque...letting the air out allowed you to hit the shuttle with max power. It's the same thing when ppl shout or stuff...while hitting the shuttle, they're breathing out.

13. Jumpalot

Jumpalot Regular Member

In weight lifting its inhale on the down stroke and exhale on the power stroke. When you are smashing you are doing a very quick inhale when setting up for the smash and a quick exhale when you release your power.

14. odjn

odjn Regular Member

Student
    in taekwondo.....

When breaking bricks and all, we usually yell and exhale a lot of air before striking our target...but we do it differently. We use our abs, not our lungs or thoats. I dunno really how i do it...it's just natural.

I use it in doing smashes in badminton too! ;)

15. IvanM

IvanM Regular Member

Yea...

I tried to control my breath yesterday during club time

Deep quick exhale during smash or clear

Really helps giving 100% power

~~~~~~~~~~~

As odjn Said

Using ur ab to breath is more efficitve for breathing

Its like when i was learning kung fu

my master told my to use my ab to breath

16. Neil Nicholls

Neil Nicholls Regular Member

Do you really mean abs, or the diaphragm?
    Did the instructor actual say the abdominal muscles, or just point to that area of the body?

17. chibe_K

chibe_K Regular Member

Breathing with abs or diaphragm, ...that could be hard to do isn't ? I only know how to breath with my lung during the game. I was told to breath with diaphragm during singing...of course my singing is bad.

Can someone describe in details how to do it ?

18. IvanM

IvanM Regular Member

lets use the word tummy

to make it more clear

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

i dont think its diaphragm

it is some where between diaphragm and lungs

19. odjn

odjn Regular Member

Student
    my instructor specifically stated

"1st you must push air into your stomach, then push it out using your ABDOMEN. If you just yell or shout using your voicebox and/or lungs like crazy, your gonna get smaller amounts of power in your blows, and you'll have a soar thoat the next morning"

for me, the only time i use my lungs to yell like crazy, is when I pretend to smash. I yell so that the whole gym echos, then i do a drop shot. :D

20. leehsim

leehsim Regular Member

For breathing in playing badminton, I remember I come across these:

1) During service, the server should observe the receiver breathing pattern, hold the serve when the receiver hold his/her breathing until he/she breath out, then serve.

2) Breath in during your preparation for smashing, hold your breath, then when your racket strike the shuttle breath out with the force of smashing.