Misbun’s gets down to serious business with his players

Discussion in 'Olympics ATHENS 2004' started by ants, Aug 13, 2004.

1. ants

ants Regular Member

Entrepreneur , Modern Nomad
    Talk about commitment.

MALAYSIA’s men’s singles coach Misbun Sidek may have run into some problems before getting to Athens. But he was looking very relaxed and happy during the badminton team’s training session at the Holargos Training Centre on Thursday.

Misbun immediately dismissed any notion that his problems back home could stop him from making sure his charges did their best in Athens.

After all, he has seen worse things.

“Just before the 1996 Atlanta Games when I was preparing Rashid Sidek for the competition, my daughter Lia Nurmila was killed in an accident in front of the house,†said Misbun.

“But I still went to the Olympics, leaving my wife to mourn our loss. And Rashid went on to win the bronze medal.

“So this is only a small matter. I am only disappointed with the person for whom I had acted as a guarantor. He got me into unnecessary trouble.

“Still I did not want to come to the Games with this problem hanging over my head. I wanted to have peace of mind. The matter back home is settled and I can now concentrate on getting the boys in peak form.

“I have worked with the boys for all this while and I do not want them to go into competition without me.â€

Misbun said that when he arrived in camp, he was greeted with broad smiles from all the players.

“I told them not to let anything distract them from their targets. They have to stay focused on the Games,†he said.

Misbun also said that all the players seemed raring to go even though some were a little breathless during the tough session.

“Maybe they were taking it a little easy before the start of the competition. Still, I believe it’s all coming together,†said Misbun.

The players, meanwhile, were happy to have him back.

“I’m so glad to see him,†said Roslin Hashim. “I was a little affected by his absence. Now, I’m okay.â€

Gold medal hope Wong Choong Hann was less perturbed.

“We do not want to let anything affect us, not even his absence. Yap Kim Hock took over the training when he was not around and it was okay.â€

Misbun’s delay in coming to Athens was only a small hiccup.

The Star