Fakes vs Real raquets

Discussion in 'Racket Recommendation / Comparison' started by typhoon, Aug 13, 2004.

1. typhoon

typhoon Regular Member

student
    I<ve never bought a fake raquet.. i just read this tread and I start wondering :

Whats the big difference between a fake or a genuine one ? is it only a matter of colors and graphic mismatch? sure the genuine one is the perfect one. but the clone one called as *fake* may still be one day be at 99% like the genuine one... in terms of colors, shape, technology, etc. I just saw a fake AT800DF that my friend bought on ebay :( (he got fooled)... I check his at800DF and mine. From what i can tell there was absolutely no differrence between our frame, grip and shaft. But only the color was at mistake. the position of the letters *armortec 800* was slightly not at the same place as mine AND of course, the yonex sign under the grip was not exactly the same... I couldnt believe it so i borrow his raquet to play a little.. from what i can tell the difference is absolutely not big. I felt that his at800 heads was slightly heavier then usual.. I then got shock because he paid only 50$ for his and i paid 4 times what he paid.... nowaday fakes are sure getting more perfected.

So guys, I would like to get your opignons on this matter... from your experiences and from what you know. thx

2. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    absolutely the opposite. the only similarities between a fake and a real is that they *look* the same. everything underneath are completely different including weight, balance, size, an all other physical properties.

3. LazyBuddy

LazyBuddy Regular Member

Engineer
    Reputable brand cares about the quality, performance, services, technology and of course the "look". Fakes only cares of the "look" to be as close as the real ones (mostly yonex), and don't care about anything else, as the intention of fake (NO, not Clone) is to "rob the market" and "fooling ppl". :rolleyes:

4. Kamen

Kamen Regular Member

Self-Employed
    It is definitely not the same......

Hi Typhoon, i was fooled into buying a fake at700. Though it costs 1/4 from the original price and looks physically the same, i am not at all happy with the racquet. My fake at700 was strung at 25lbs, after just two games, the top middle grommets caved in pulling the metal with it.

I am in a dilemma. Since i got it from a friend, i could not ask for a refund. If i got it from a store, it will definitely be much easier and comfortable for me to ask for a refund. :(

The moral of this story is never to buy a racquet from a friend especially when it is at a discounted price. :(

5. LazyBuddy

LazyBuddy Regular Member

Engineer

Wow, you can still even call this person a friend??? :confused:

6. cooler

cooler Regular Member

Surfing, reading fan mails:D, Dilithium Crystal hu
    considered your lesson to be cheap. Some people bot fakes at higher cost, like 1/2 to 3/4 of a real one.

7. cappy75

cappy75 Regular Member

Depot Support Representative
    Caveat emptor (Buyer Beware)

Kamen,

You're not expecting the racquet to be genuine for the price you get, are you? Don't blame your friend, he gave you a good deal for a racquet 1/4 the price of the real McCoy. Unless he lied to you about the authencity of the racquet, you knowingly bought yourself a fake. A racquet that cheap can only be fake or stolen.

8. Kamen

Kamen Regular Member

Self-Employed
    Thanks all for the comments. When i bought the racquet, my friend assured me that the racquet is genuine yonex. If i had knew that it is a fake, i would not buy, even if it is free (free? maybe :D).

I honestly think that my friend himself reckons that the racquet is genuine. This is because he got it from an ex-national player. A quite reputable player in the international arena. I know who is the ex-player but i don't think it appropriate to publicise it here.

The reason i said that i am not comfortable to ask for a refund cause my friend was just doing me a favour and hence i do not wish to trouble him again to return the fake, etc etc.

Anyway, i have made up my mind now. I will trouble my friend ONE LAST time.

This leads to my next question, i like the feel of AT700 though it is fake. I am now contemplating to buy the real at700. Do you think it is a good investment? What about AT800? Which one is better? I see that many players in the olympic is using the AT700.

I do hope you guys will give me some advice cause i am in need of a racquet now. TIA!

9. Kamen

Kamen Regular Member

Self-Employed
    to be more precise, i was fooled by an ex-national player. :eek:

10. Pball

Pball Regular Member

Hi, newbie here, both to badminton and this forum.

I have tried fake rackets and real one, there is a slight, (to my inexperienced eye), difference, but not much. Of course I am a bit heavy handed due to bowling, and probably am also too new to badminton to feel the really important differences.. but from what I could gleam, during high clears, the original gives an additional 3 feet lenght on the ave..

regards

11. LazyBuddy

LazyBuddy Regular Member

Engineer
    Exactly the point. The fakes (especially high quality fakes) are made to "for your eyes only". The paint job could be flawless, but the features could be totally different. :eek:

12. aznphi1osopher

aznphi1osopher Regular Member

well the difference between the fake and real one , from what ive used, is that the real one's quality is much much better, if you break open a fake racket, and a real racket, and compare the inside material, you will be shocked ( from experience :p haha) however, because fakes are so cheap, i recently bought a armortec 500 , its a fake , and i know it is, but i bought it anyways , because it was $30 ^_^, so now, whenever i have people askin me to borrow rackets, i just loan out my armortec ^_^ haha, and i use it as warm up because its heavy.

13. david14700

david14700 Regular Member

Diff.

There is a big difference in performance. I have a friend who has 3 fake MP100s and one real one. He knew the fakes were fakes when he bought them but he paid about 1/10 the cost of a real one so he didn't care. They are very good fakes, at least cosmetically, but when I tried one you could tell straight away it was fake.

If you're a beginner or intermediate, it might not matter, but I wouldn't recomend it for any serious badminton.

14. bluejeff

bluejeff Regular Member

Developer
    Exactly, fakes are usually not very good with durability, so if you use it in serious matches, it might break at anytime.