Advice on At500, MP88/77, string etc.

Discussion in 'Badminton String' started by ShuttleSlicer, Aug 15, 2004.

1. ShuttleSlicer

ShuttleSlicer New Member

University Student/Baddy player
    Hi there, I am a new member of Badminton Central and I am looking for some expert advice. I am searching for a new racket and want to spend a mediocre amount of money on it. I have looked at top level rackets (At 800, 700, MP 100, 99) and I think the lesser versions of the rackets might just suit me better. I was looking at the specs of the Yonex line of rackets from another post and discovered that the At500 is 3UG4 at 92.85 grams with a relative stiffness of 4.58%. Comparing that to the specs of the MP-88 which is 4UG4 at 88.00 g and rel. stiff of –3.89%. The other MP racket that could work is the MP-77 (2UG4, 96.75, 5.70%). I have been playing for a couple of years and am looking to take a step forward in my game. I would consider myself an intermediate level player, and if it makes a difference, I am 17 years old. In the past I have had a 90g Wilson racket which I snapped the head; I advanced into a Yonex Isometric 50 which I used for two years and that chipped, somewhat bent, broken stringed racket needs to retire. My main racket that I currently own is an MP-22 and have used it a few times since it was purchased. I do not feel as comfortable with it as I have with previous rackets although it could be because of the lack of experience I have with it. I have upgraded to everything else I need except for a racket. I am planning to increase my training time and ability as much as I can over the next few months. My current level is alright. I tend to have pretty good drop shots well my smashes can be quite weak. My clears aren’t too bad, my drives are good and my net game could use a little improvement. As far as how I play, it is usually 50% singles, 50% doubles. I checked the Yonex selection chart and it looks as though the Arm500 and MP-77 are double/smash players while the MP-88 is more of a doubles/receiver racket. I would like to improve my smashing ability to be more powerful (I am not the strongest guy) and to be able to have soft shots for drops and net play. I am just inquiring your personal opinions on which racket would suit me best or any other rackets that you would recommend? Thank you.

If I am getting a new racket, I do need some string to go with it. I have played with BG-65 and don’t mind it – it is the standard of all strings. I have been looking to play some Yonex BG-80 or BG-85 because most higher level players prefer to play with them. The only difference I know between the two is that the BG-80 is 0.68mm with a guage of 22 while the BG-85 is 0.67mm and 22 guage. Which one, if any, would be best for me and does the 1mm really make that much difference?

And as far as grips go, I currently use a Yonex Supergrap. I was wondering if anyone has used the new Leather grip made by Yonex and if so, is it really worth the more expensive cost?

I thank you all for reading this and helping me out as much as you can.

* ShuttleSlicer *

2. BobbyGeneric

BobbyGeneric Regular Member

IT professional
    sounds like the MP88 would be best for you since you can generate more power from a weaker swing with it (due to it's high flexibility).

as for strings, if you're stringing at lower tensions (<24lbs), which given your skill level you most likely are, then give BG85 a try, it should give you yet again a little more power and also a lot more control. and as a note, the top players that are sponsored by yonex will most often opt to use BG65 moreso than any other string. the thinness of the string is by no means a comprehensive performance indicator either. the best you can do is to try out the string and see if you like it. it's not as big as an investment as a racquet so it shouldn't be too big a deal.

as for grip, if you want to spend a little more then go for a karakal overgrip. the yonex supergrap is just fine however and if you don't have problems with it then there's no need to switch.

good luck with playing!

3. Ashish

Ashish Regular Member

student
    agreed with bobby..mp88 seems like a good choice for you