Day 2 Evening Session report

Discussion in 'Olympics ATHENS 2004' started by AthensMan, Aug 15, 2004.

1. AthensMan

AthensMan Regular Member

Hello everyone. I just got home after the going to the evening session on Day 2. Here's some info on the matches that you might not have seen on TV

Lin Dan vs Susilo
    Not much I need to say about this. One thing I noticed was Lin Dan was really trying to slow things down between points. Taking long walks around the edge of the court, messing with the shuttle, etc. Not that any of it seemed to work :)
    Joppien vs Salo
    This was a great game. Joppien saved a couple of set points at 14-11 and got back to 14-all, the first game could have gone either way. In the 2nd and 3rd games he seemed to calm down a bit, it was a close game but I think he was the better player.
    Lee Hyn Il vs Stuart Brehaut
    Afraid i missed most of this, I was 10 minutes late :)
    Wong Choong Han vs Przemyslaw
    Wong looked very good here, he hardly broke sweat. But then his opponent wasn't all that good...
    Taufik vs Yamada
    Taufik looked pretty good but he had trouble finishing the 2nd game. I guess Yamada wasn't going down without a fight. Taufik doing some awesome straight smashes. He makes it look so effortless. Big INA crowd supporting Taufik. Taufik and Yamada seemed quite friendly after the match, are they friends or something...?
    Gade vs Chien Yu-Hsiu
    Gade seems back to his full speed. Chien was doing some good retreiving, but he could never get on the attack against the Gade onslaught. Usual Gade fanclub with very high volume-to-size ratio in the crowd
    Clark & Robertson vs Prapakamol & Ngernsrisuk
    Clark and Robertson won this without too much effort.
    Sigit and Tri vs Mateusiak & Logosz
    The Poles were on fire in this match. They blasted the first game, then I think they were so shocked by their own performance that they kind of lost a bit of concentration and gave the 2nd away. Then everyone was thinking, oh yeah, lucky first game but no way will they win the match. But they did! Massive INA support for Sigit and Tri, they must be gutted they aren't going to see any more matches.
    Chan & Chew vs Velkos & Patis
    OK this was never really a match but the home crowd liked it
    Lee & Yoo vs Crespo & Llopis
    The spanish made a bit of a fightback in the second but they couldn't really handle Yoo.
    Brehaut & Denney vs Teerawiwatana & Panvisvas
    Over pretty quickly, the Auzzies were a bit outclassed
    Bach & Han vs James & Carson
    This too was finished quite quickly. Bach seemed sharp, he has a wicked smash but it will be interesting to seem how he does against better opposition who can return the first few attacks. He also has the biggest calf muscles I've ever seem - he must do some SERIOUS weight training

Look out for another report same time tomorrow!

2. flymordecai

flymordecai Regular Member

Thanks for the report! I'm still a bit shocked by Lin Dan's loss, but Susilo is a great player himself.

3. bluejeff

bluejeff Regular Member

Developer
    An interesting thing about this match was that many people in Taiwan actually believe Chien could win and they expect this game should be 50/50. Guess what, I would say it's far from that. :) Duh.

4. Feng_MP-100

Feng_MP-100 Regular Member

Student
    yea, me 2. i guess that changing from mp99 to at700 is a good choice!:rolleyes: at700 beats mp99... haha jk.

5. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

wannabe badminton phototaker
    Thank you, thank you for the report