What is the typical age one should start training to become a pro badminton player?

Discussion in 'Techniques / Training' started by vivien, Aug 15, 2004.

1. vivien

vivien New Member

Hi, I'm 14 years old, and I'm very interested in becoming a professional badminton player. However, I've only trained for around 3 months(with a proper coach), and though my coach(an ex-int. player) stated that I'm a quick learner, I'm still wondering if I started playing too late to consider training to become a pro. :( ... I understand that if I were to concentrate on becoming pro, I would have to sacrifice great amounts of my time to practice, and I'm willing to do so. I just don't know if it's too late for me to begin doing so.

2. William86_98

William86_98 Regular Member

Student
    hmm..well...most "pros" in the americas...start quite later than those over in asia....like...then again....pros in the americas are obviously not as good as those in asia....

so..depends wht ur definition of "pro" is...like..just someone who goes to play in an international event?..or actually like....competitive pro....

but i mean....like..in china....they're pumping out top players like mad..just..17 and 18...and u know...on top of the world already...so...yeah.....

but just looking at some of the top players that i have played in compeition (I live in vancouver, canada btw)...most of them have played in the under 14 division (meaning they started before that).....so take that top group...and probably only a couple will ever end up playing on the international circuit..but i mean.in the end..it all comes down to how hard you can work

keep in mind though..in asia...kids practically leave their familiies (see a couple times a year) and go off to train in national camps and stuff..the government provides them with schooling while they're training ....so i mean....the atmosphere is completely different....

well...back to your question....i think...anything is possible...if you really try....u say you are willing now.....but....can u keep up with training every single day......strict diet..all that it takes to become a pro....not that easy...

but hey...if ur determined..sure..i think it can happen.

3. liverpool

liverpool Regular Member

Hello Vivien,

In Malaysia, u will be 5-7 years behind. However, facility in USA is very advance. U might be able to catchup if you train 7 days a week for the next five years. 4-6 hours a day!! I am not joking as this is what the legendary Park Joo Bong says during a visit to Kuala Lumpur recently. It is obvious even Malaysian players can not accept his training. He is an ex Malaysian National team coach!!! This is probably the secret to the phenomena rise of the Koreans.

You need a professional coach, a professional physical instructor and a rich dad!!! In Malaysia even the girls are shying away from badminton, opting instead for basketball.

By 19 of age if you dont make it to the North American Championship, perhaps going into coaching might be another option for you as you have a great interest in the game. Good Luck.....aspiring coach from Malaysia.

4. MakubeX

MakubeX Regular Member

In indonesia, they generally started playing when they are still very young, i think by the age of 8 and 9.

I'm 16, and i started playing when i was 14, i dont think it will be too late for me to become a pro, if i go to jakarta now, train there, and leave my school behind.:D

When there is a will, there is a way :D :D :D

5. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

wannabe badminton phototaker
    In America, anything is possible.:)

6. FEND.

FEND. Regular Member

Full Time Badmintoncentral.com/forums camper. Part
    Isn't it why they always have 'The American Dream' kind of thing?

7. FEND.

FEND. Regular Member

Full Time Badmintoncentral.com/forums camper. Part
    Btw not many who go to those camps enjoy the comfort of this [ badmintoncentral.com ] teaching zone and community which aspires to help one to embrace badminton to its fullest.

8. SmashMaster

SmashMaster Regular Member

UofC student
    well heres my opnion i mean you could be the most determaned player and just train all the time but i personally think that your behind, oh ea im from canada btw. the reason that i think your behind is because most pros at your age in asia already have a few titles or they have been to alot of compatations and well they start early to like around the age oe 8-9 sometimes even earlier. I started to play when i was about 10 but i dient have a coach all i did was play for school teams and w/e other tournaments i could find so i have expirence and i want to go pro as in internationaly compet and stuff but im starting to fear that it might be a lil to late thats why im going to go stay with my uncle in vietnam and train there. but if ur deturmened i think you might be able to do it but im not sure if canada can provide you with the operatunity.

9. Winex West Can

Winex West Can Regular Member

Hi Tech
    Nah, anything is possible if you put your mind to it regardless of where you are located although in some situations, you are at a greater disadvantage. :D

Vivien,
    At 14 yrs, I would say that you are a few years behind but then, if you have the talent and the dedication, then there is no reason why you shouldn't go for it. First, you have to set realistic goals and take it one step at a time. Say, if your ultimate goal is to make the US National team, break it down to making your school team, region, etc. working your way up.

Make sure that you understand the commitment involved. Training requires a lot of patience and commitment as you will be practising strokes/techniques over and over again until they become second nature and you can do them without having to think about it.

Go for it and I'm sure a number of us on BF/BC will support you in your pursue of your dream. Good luck.

10. RXninja

RXninja New Member

Pharmaceuticals Student/Wine Merchant
    Dude....I will be 100% honest and straight with you here.....

Age is just a number.

Who cares what anyone else thinks. Go practice your face off until your elbow explodes then cream them all in a few years. :D

11. dr4g0n

dr4g0n Regular Member

i am also currently 14, havin onli played for 4months or so with an indonesian coach. my aspirations don't really include touring on the world stage or such so i wouldnt be an expert on this matter but i really want to get fit and be good at a certain sport:p

but as many people hav mentioned - age dosent matter , more important aspects of the game in my opinion include hard work, persistance, a good coach, motivation and most important of all that you really enjoy playing.

have fun :D

12. SteveStanley

SteveStanley Regular Member

Mia Audina started very early, I'm not sure how old though, but when she was 6 or something, she could beat older male players, she could clear all the way to the back line and she was so tiny :) ... a friend of mine told me

13. martian

martian New Member

there's a 29-yr-old Chinese woman who won an olympic gold medal a few weeks ago. I think 15 years for you is pretty much enough. remember people are different, maybe your first champion comes at your 18 who knows

avoid 7-days-a-week training, cuz you'r only human. practice+rest+practice=progress

14. Joseph

Joseph Regular Member

It is not too late. There is a player who only started to learn how to play his Sophomore year in High School. Six years later, he's one of the top players in the nation. It's not too late, just keep on training. It's only impossible if you think it's impossible.

15. Brianzabad

Brianzabad Regular Member

Never say never!

In Italy the actual bike champion, Damiano Cunego, aged 23, started running and training on bike at the age of 17, and all his "friends" said when he decided to race: "what do u do, u lose time, it's 2 late..." etc. etc.

These r not real friends. They simply dont want u to try what they don't have the strenght to do. If u listen others' negative opinions, u destroy the desire of growth inside u.

Simply play badminton because u like this game, and if u r talented, u will see that results will come soon. Life is so surprisingly long... ;)

#15 Brianzabad, Sep 15, 2004
    Last edited: Sep 15, 2004
  16. jonathanloree

jonathanloree New Member

as great as training 7 days a week for extended periods may be, I think martian has a point about over doing it..not sure if this is true or not but I heard lots of those students in the national training camps for many asian companies end up having incredible careers that are shorter lived due to the intensity of the training. They are amazing tho..

17. smash_master

smash_master Regular Member

player/coach/student
    i would have to say that age doesent matter it is just a number and theres always the old saying that wisdom comes with age well that applys to badminton i mean the longer you play the better you get but there are some people who just have the skills OR they are willing to train hard to get where they want to be and if your really determined then thers nothing stopping you. i mean ive been playingin for like 3years now since grade 9 and thats when a friend got me to go play and well i liked it but i sucked like hell i couldent even smash but over the last 3 years ive gotten alot better at it i mean im still not as good as i would like to be but i have a preaty good smash and everything but what im trying to say is that its never to late to starts its just how determined you are to make your dream come true. hope that made sence...

18. samantha

samantha New Member

=samantha]I am currently 12 years old and have been learning how to play badminton for 1 year. Though there is only a 2 year age gap I don't think you will be good enough in time to play under 16's. Playing juniors helps you gain vital experience for future competition but, if you really believe that you can become a professional player then go for it!
    Good luck!

19. yadi_susan

yadi_susan Regular Member

Hi Samantha,

Don't Worry. Important things: Practice your footwork everyday. 12 years old not late...

I learned badminton 15 years old. I play badminton every day after school and only 1 year learn become yunior champion because My Brother teach me and I joined in Club. Every Day, I practice Footwork, Maintenance Stamina, Play Single/Double, Join some Tournaments.

Regards,
    Yadi

20. SPaterson

SPaterson Regular Member

Student, Programmer