Is Badminton an expensive game?

Discussion in 'General Forum' started by Byro-Nenium, Jun 10, 2001.

1. Byro-Nenium

Byro-Nenium Regular Member

Undergrad
    I find badminton to be a very expensive game here in Singapore. shuttles cost about $20 for a decent type. And strings and rackets are expensive as well.

Even booking the courts are expensive...... like $3.50 for non-peak hours and something like $7 for peak hours, and per hour as well.

Is badminton an expensive sport in your country? if its singapore, am i just too poor? lol

but anyhow, i find it too be too expensive in Singapore and thats the only thing i hate about it

2. modious

modious Regular Member

I think it's quite ok.
    Maybe next time we can play at Serangoon Town Council.
    The flooring of the courts are the green rubber type.
    It's definately not as expensive as the Sports Halls which cost $7.80 for peak hours!
    If u compare badminton to golf, I think golf is much more expensive!

3. May

May Guest

I dun really think dat itz all dat expensive. After all, 1 racquet can last quite a long time, as well being able to be resold. As 4 shuttles, couldn't u buy in bulk(not dat i do)????? Courts wise isn't really all that bad.

4. Byro-Nenium

Undergrad
    Yeah but no matter how many you buy, it will still come down to the same price. For shuttles that is, well a little discount but i find it wouldn't make much difference. Also, if you keep shuttles for too long, they become worn out and when you play with them they are less consistent and sometimes make some white marks on your strings. Not sure if thats because of its age or type

5. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

wannabe badminton phototaker
    your courts are nearly half the price of HK. Racquets are a bit more expensive. Shuttles slightly cheaper here.

Tournaments are mostly free entry!! Compared to UK, we got a good deal.

6. May

May Guest

white marks??? even with new shuttles my strings usually end up with those marks, Bg85, not my other racquet.

7. cooler

cooler Regular Member

Surfing, reading fan mails:D, Dilithium Crystal hu
    one can pare down some costs by playing plastic shuttles and rent school gyms instead of dedicated badminton courts

8. Byro-Nenium

Undergrad
    yeah but playing badminton with plastic shuttles and feather shuttles in my opinion are 2 different games

9. May

May Guest

i quite agree, but abt the renting skool gyms here, i dun think it will really make a difference.

10. Byro-Nenium

Undergrad
    Unless you play at a CC instead of the sports halls. I hate the CC flooring though coz its just normal tiles. Any sweat makes a sore back and butt for whoever steps on it

11. Mark

Mark Guest

Typical prices in UK (all in pounds): court cost 6.00per hour / match fees 3.50per match / club joining fees 100.00per year / yonex Ti-5 Light 70.00 / yonex Ti-10 110.00 / Shuttles 13.00per dozen yonex AS-40 / yonex titanium restring 10.00 / Karakal grip 2.00

These are prices i have paid, hope this helps. Personally I think it can be expensive. I play for 2 clubs and play 3-4 times a week (about 8 hours average). Most money is spent on travelling, match fees, shoes, restringing and regripping.

12. Pecheur

Pecheur Regular Member

Don't you guys have clubs to play at?

My old uni club used to play four times a week at a cost of Sports union Membership $90 (if you weren't a student), then badminton club membership $65. Condering they played 48 weeks a year, that's 192 times for a grand cost of less than a dollar (Australian) per session if you played every session. This includes them providing shuttles, which is dirt cheap.

Sure you don't get to play every match, but who can play two hours non-stop?

Since I've left there, I've found the average cost of playing is about $5 a session, which is usually 2-3 hours and they pay for the shuttles, now I can't see that to be expensive by any means.

PS In this state they don't play nearly enough :p The most active club only plays twice a week so you have to join a couple to get enough badminton.

13. BaMBaM

BaMBaM Guest

If you hang out in these forums too much it can get really expensive.

14. Bbn

Bbn Regular Member

EXPENSIVE! No wonder sport declining,I suppose its true

That Brits earn a lot but pay high prices and taxes.What

happened to those cheery town leisure centres where you can

play for 1 pound or something, all privatisd already?

15. Byro-Nenium

Undergrad
    hahaha

true, very true

16. Mark

Mark Guest

I forgot to say that the fee to join a club includes a club night. This is where members of the club play each other from about 7p.m to 11p.m every week. This runs throughout the season and is where you can practice your shots or just stay in shape for your matches. Not all club members play matches though and are just recreational players who play club nights. This means the club is very social and games rarely get serious so its a lot of fun too. The fee also usually includes the membership to the sports centre and shuttles. If you turn up regularly it makes the actual cost low.

As for sports centres, well they would rather hire a hall out to 100 people doing aerobics than just a few playing badminton. It makes more profit, thats whats killing the sport. It is almost impossible to start a new club in a sports centre now for that exact reason and if the membership in an excisting club drops, the price per person goes up. In the end the club folds and this unfortunately means there will probably never be another club in that sports centre.

If there were more purpose built non-profitable badminton halls, there would be more clubs. Where I live there is only 1 in the whole county that i know of.

I personally believe that clubs should try to encourage more juniors to join and train them . At the moment most clubs turn people away if your not up to standard. I believe that this is a waste of potential players who are the future of the sport. Also more players mean less cost per player! Everyone wins

17. Brett

Brett Regular Member

Clubs turn away players if they are not up to a certain standard? That's pretty harsh - all beginners are thereby excluded from this club. How are people new to the game supposed to get better if the recreational clubs are all closing and the more serious club won't accept them? I suppose I could understand if the snobby club had only three courts and 25 members who regularly attended who were all fairly competitive people don't pay to just stand around waiting for court time, but that situation just seems counterproductive to the sport.

18. Brett

Brett Regular Member

Correction

My post above should read "were all fairly competitive; people don't pay"

19. Mark

Mark Guest

I totaly agree with you Brett. It is counterproductive to the game as a whole. The problem is that it has been like this for decades and its hard to get people (mainly the older players) to change their views on the matter.

I dont think i explained the system properly though. 99% of clubs are serious clubs who play in leagues. The recreational badminton club doesn't really excist, there are only a few exceptions to this.

You hit the nail on the head though, if the clubs do not accept beginners, then how do they get to a standard that is acceptable on their own. Not everyone can afford coaching, so this means that only a few beginners actually continue playing. I have seen juniors walk away from clubs disheartened because there not allowed to play and have never seen them again. What makes this problem worse is that badminton is not played in schools much. I played 2 hours of badminton in my whole school life! How are the clubs expecting the beginners to get better? No-one has answered this question yet but it needs to be resolved.

I was lucky when I started playing as I joined the same club that my mum and dad played for. I didnt even know the rules when I started and if it wasn't for my parents I would have been turned away. I now play a good standard, not quite county though. If i had been turned away i would not have bothered playing.

P.S. Just for a final kick in the teeth you cant play in any tournaments if you dont play in a club!

20. May

May Guest

too true for words, for my parents. 2 racquets(200), wrist band, court hours, driving me to school and back. and lots more.